Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Ambushes
Page 1 sur 2 Aller à la page 1, 2  Suivante
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
Ballista
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Lun Fév 13, 2023 10:12 pm    Sujet du message: Ambushes Répondre en citant
In the sequence of placing ambushes it is defender then attacker.

Are you required to write down before this on the player sheet where your ambush markers are going to be placed, or are they simply placed on the table in order (defender/attacker) ? and location chosen as they are placed.

Second to this, how do you record what is in each ambush marker? (on the player sheet)?
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Fév 13, 2023 10:16 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ballista a écrit:
In the sequence of placing ambushes it is defender then attacker.

Are you required to write down before this on the player sheet where your ambush markers are going to be placed, or are they simply placed on the table in order (defender/attacker) ? and location chosen as they are placed.

Second to this, how do you record what is in each ambush marker? (on the player sheet)?

Just put the markers down on table, and write down what's on them wherever you want really. It's not that formal, and doesnt need to be.

Back of your army list, on the deployment sheet (if one is provided), back of a napkin, make a note on your phone, write it on your forehead in permanent marker*... the options are endless really as long as you could show your opponent if there was any debate later.

(* Be aware a canny opponent may be able to use this to work out whats in your ambushes!)
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 14, 2023 12:28 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Agreed. You place the markers first (defender then attacker) then write down your deployment (including which units are in the different ambushes.)

Remember to place each marker carefully as each of the units in each ambush must be invisible initially, and must be deployed if they can be seen after an enemy unit has moved (eg enemy LC moving around a flanking hill). 
Ballista
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 14, 2023 1:17 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thanks both for the clarification, think I'll forgo the forehead option though.

Still thinking in WRG terms for ambushes.
Neep
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 14, 2023 1:18 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Minor nitpick - the sequence on page 72 says specify then deploy. Really it only matters if the attacker can finagle their ambushes after seeing where the defender goes.
Ballista
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 14, 2023 4:16 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Neep a écrit:
Minor nitpick - the sequence on page 72 says specify then deploy. Really it only matters if the attacker can finagle their ambushes after seeing where the defender goes.

So do you have to write down to specify ? or is it done in order of defender/attacker ?

(I'm assuming specify refers to where you are going to place the ambush/es) as you should have already written down what units are in what ambush
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 14, 2023 9:06 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
No. 
The ambush markers are placed on the table (defender first then attacker) before any plans are made. So these may be fake (ie empty) or they may ultimately contain up to four units each. The players then write down their deployment plans for each corps;
  • Where it will deploy relative to the other corps,
  • Which unit(s) are in which ambush marker
  • If the entire corps is flank marching, which flank it is arriving on
Personally I create a small grid on the back of the army sheet which quickly defines these options:-
      . . . . . . (L)eft . (C)enter . (R)ight
    (T)able
    (A)mbush 
    (F)lank
Then I can easily add numbers for each corps on (T)able, and note the units in (A)mbush. 

Time is of the essence at this stage in the game. You want to get on whilst being able to demonstrate later (if absolutely necessary) that you really did put those elite impact heavy knights in that ambush Very Happy
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 14, 2023 2:54 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ramses II a écrit:

The ambush markers are placed on the table (defender first then attacker) before any plans are made.

The set up on p 73 says you write your plan first then markers appear.
This was spelled out the same in v3 and it moved to "set up"

This is the set up that p 76-77 follows as well.

So it all has to be thought through as you say. I often put ambushes out as i write my plan for simplicity, but that is not strictly required until the plan is written.
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 14, 2023 2:58 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
My bad - written too late at night  Embarassed
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 14, 2023 4:04 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ramses II a écrit:
My bad - written too late at night  Embarassed

I hope the night included a good Bordeaux or Rhone?
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 14, 2023 7:56 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
While I like a good Bordeaux - St Julien for preference (which I can still just about afford) - I think a ‘light red’ is more appropriate for the KC Chiefs. A cracking game with some amazing moments, and crazy refereeing. 

And we think we have it bad refereeing ADLG V4 . . .  Very Happy
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Lun Fév 20, 2023 1:05 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I agree with the general thrust of the comments about being fairly relaxed on ambushes. For the most part I don't often use them other than as a way to slow down an attacker's initial moves. However, I understand that in earlier versions of the rules this relaxed attitude was sometimes taken advantage of. Especially in cases where an entire command could be in ambush or on a flank march. Wink

So in tournament play you should expect to have your deployment orders checked at some point and record them properly, ideally on the deployment sheet provided in the "Tournaments" tab above.

Dave
Mark G Fry
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Sam Fév 25, 2023 12:30 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
One slightly obscure but related question.

In a situation where one player has units in an ambush behind a hill crest - but his opponent has an ambush set up in such a way that troops in his own ambush could (potentially) see the opposing troops behind the hill crest. Is the hillcrest ambush still valid?
Or do the unit (in ambush that could see the hill crest ambush) have to actually be deployed on table to negate/reveal the hillcrest ambush?
If that all makes sense.

Thanks
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Fév 25, 2023 4:55 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hi Mark.
In brief, ambushes may not be deployed in a location where the units can be seen, irrespective of whether an opposing ambush is actually used. 
So no, that situation cannot arise. 
Neep
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Sam Fév 25, 2023 5:00 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Page 77 "Placing Ambushes" bullet 4.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 2 Aller à la page 1, 2  Suivante
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: