Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Exceptions to Uncontrolled Charge
Page 2 sur 2 Aller à la page Précédente  1, 2
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Mar Jan 03, 2023 5:16 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
lionelrus a écrit:
It's seems it's clear, because i never met english speakink players made this controled uncontroled charge.

I believe that most rules questions raised are genuine. Also controlled uncontrolled charges already exist, allowing an uncontrolled free move to simple or melee support.

Possibly the English version has inconsistencies and contradictions which are not present in the other language versions. Or they prefer to have a single clear understanding of the rules available to all in advance to avoid surprises, especially to those who rarely play tournaments and would feel “stitched upâ€.

NB these are issues with all rules, the work that Herve, the translators and the DT put in is clear and ADLG is better than most others.

Dernière édition par Mike Bennett le Mar Jan 03, 2023 8:42 pm; édité 1 fois
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Mar Jan 03, 2023 8:32 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
lionelrus a écrit:
AlanCutner a écrit:
I accept all the arguments made on this. But the fact is 'not required' can and is read as making the charge optional by many english speaking players. It is a poor translation. Lets agree to put this in the FAQ/errata and then we can all move on.

The charge is optional. The point is can you choose making a uncontroled charge?

It's seems it's clear, because i never met english speakink players made this controled uncontroled charge.

Lionel, with respect it may seem very clear to you. But I have had or seen several games where the uncontrolled charge was played as optional for the condtions on P46. The english is very clear, and I would have had no hesitation ruling the charge as optional until your comments.

It seems very clear to me that this is something for FAQ/errata. Why the reluctance?
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Jan 04, 2023 11:22 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Parce qu'il est habituel de se reférer à la version originale d'un texte et non à la traduction. En l'occurrence, la version française n'a pas d'ambiguïté.
De plus, comme zlotan l'a trés bien écrit (et la Nouvelle Zélande est un pays de langue anglaise, n'est-il pas?) la structure du texte en anglais est suffisamment claire pour lever l'ambiguïté.
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Mer Jan 04, 2023 1:57 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Je sais que vous essayez d'être utile. Mais ce n'est pas une raison, juste être têtu.

La plupart des joueurs ADLG anglophones ne liront pas ce forum. Ils n'ont pas non plus accès à la version française du livre. Ils liront le livret de règles en anglais qui stipule très clairement que la charge est facultative, sans aucune ambiguïté susceptible de provoquer des interrogations. L'interprétation "correcte" doit donc être publiée officiellement.

L'argument selon lequel « par définition » une charge incontrôlée ne peut pas être facultative est fallacieux. Interpréter les règles par ce qu'un individu croit être historiquement exact créerait le chaos. Il faut se fier à ce qui est réellement indiqué.

I know you are trying to be helpful. But that's no reason, just being stubborn.

Most English speaking ADLG players will not read this forum. Nor do they have access to the French version of the book. They will read the rulebook in English which states very clearly that charging is optional, without any ambiguity that might cause questions. The "correct" interpretation must therefore be officially published.

The argument that “by definition†an uncontrolled load cannot be optional is fallacious. Interpreting the rules by what an individual believes to be historically accurate would create chaos. You have to trust what is actually written.
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Jan 04, 2023 6:57 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Il y a un post avec l'adresse de l'arbitre national pour l'Angleterre. Posez lui la question.
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Jan 05, 2023 2:16 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Guys, I tend to agree with Lioney and Zoltan on this. The rules seem clear enough to me. The thought process goes like this:
  • Impetuous troops are within charge range of an enemy. So the player can choose to pay 1CP to order them to charge. 
  • If the player uses all the CP elsewhere, the Impetuous troops must make an uncontrolled charge (P46) unless they are exempted by their situation (P47).
As Lionelrus says, the player always has the choice to override the exemption to an uncontrolled charge, if he “feels luckyâ€. 
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Jeu Jan 05, 2023 11:29 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Raised this at my club tonight. Unanimous view, without any prompting, was the rules as written are clear the uncontrolled charge is optional for the exceptions on P46. This included from a member who is a practising solicitor. There was surprise any other view could be taken.

I don't doubt that other people read the rule a different way. But this just highlights why this is a matter requiring an entry in future errata.

I promise this is my last post on this issue.
Zoltan
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Ven Jan 06, 2023 2:14 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
AlanCutner a écrit:
This included from a member who is a practising solicitor.

A rules lawyer? Wink Laughing
kevinj
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Ven Jan 06, 2023 11:51 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Anyone who questions the intent of this rule should look at the example at the bottom of P46, specifically Unit B:

"B does not charge Infantry 2 as this would cause it to also contact Elephant (3)...Therefore B remains immobile"

Dernière édition par kevinj le Ven Jan 06, 2023 3:10 pm; édité 1 fois
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Ven Jan 06, 2023 2:54 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I had considered this question before and came to the conclusion that an impetuous unit cannot make the voluntary choice to be uncontrolled.

It works the opposite way - if you are uncontrolled you must expend CP to choose to not be uncontrolled.

You can't decide that in selected cases I shall elect to be out of control.
Commodore
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Jan 06, 2023 5:36 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
1) The uncontrolled charge is an involuntary movement. There's no choice to do it or not from the player.
2) The only circumstances in which uncontrolled charge does not occur are described on p 46.

Conclusion: There are no circumstances where the player has to decide whether to voluntarily make an uncontrolled charge or not. He can just decide the order in which they occur at the end of the corps movement phase. The rule is sufficiently explicit and does not need to be amended in the FAQ
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Jan 07, 2023 10:35 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I completly agree with comodore. Howver, it's seems some guy, absolutly want the rule say what she doesn't say.
To avoid having 2 differents "arbitrage" , it may be useful including this point in the next faq.

It's not the first time we'll do it for "solicitors".
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Sam Jan 07, 2023 3:48 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
lionelrus a écrit:

IMHO the target audience should be adjusted. FAQs stop the innocent unsuspecting from being honestly taken by surprise or, even worse, getting maliciously stiffed by rules lawyers. They are not for the rules lawyers themselves, who actually thrive on ambiguity and pulling surprises in games. Thankfully almost all of us are now well past that point in our lives, which is why people raise questions on the forum and Facebook.

Finally, whilst it may be reasonable to give abusive responses to trolls it is unreasonable to assume that all rules queries are trolling. I know I personnally no longer post questions here, copying a point of view I have heard expressed by quite a few other expetienced players, and now withdraw from responding also.
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Sam Jan 07, 2023 6:55 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Mike Bennett a écrit:
lionelrus a écrit:

IMHO the target audience should be adjusted. FAQs stop the innocent unsuspecting from being honestly taken by surprise or, even worse, getting maliciously stiffed by rules lawyers. They are not for the rules lawyers themselves, who actually thrive on ambiguity and pulling surprises in games. Thankfully almost all of us are now well past that point in our lives, which is why people raise questions on the forum and Facebook.

Finally, whilst it may be reasonable to give abusive responses to trolls it is unreasonable to assume that all rules queries are trolling. I know I personnally no longer post questions here, copying a point of view I have heard expressed by quite a few other expetienced players, and now withdraw from responding also.

Thankyou Mike. You have expressed my view on the target audience. I will also now just monitor this forum, and doubt I'll post any further queries.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 2 sur 2 Aller à la page Précédente  1, 2
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: