Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Exceptions to Uncontrolled Charge
Page 1 sur 2 Aller à la page 1, 2  Suivante
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
Longtooth
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Ven Déc 30, 2022 4:58 pm    Sujet du message: Exceptions to Uncontrolled Charge Répondre en citant
The top of page 46 states that an impetuous foot unit is 'not required' to make an uncontrolled charge against the front of enemy mounted. Although I have always interpreted this text to say that uncontrolled charge rules do not apply in this instance, a friend has suggested that the term 'not required' means that an uncontrolled charge is 'optional'. Is he correct? Can an impetuous foot unit make an uncontrolled charge against the front edge of an enemy cavalry if he so wishes?

Jesse
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Ven Déc 30, 2022 5:01 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
This came up in a recent game, specifically whether an impetuous unit could do an uncontrolled charge into bad going to provide support to an existing melee. We took 'not required' as making it optional.
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Ven Déc 30, 2022 6:30 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Good question.

I’d really like to see the French original to see if this (optionality) is an unintentional translation issue or something that was intended.
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Déc 30, 2022 7:36 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Impetuous troops are submited to uncontroled charge, except if the situation is covered by an exception.

Exceptions mean impetuous troops are not subjet to uncontroled charge, but must follow all the others "charging rules"

So if these troops want charging, they can do so following usual charging rules, and pay one point.

In the exposed case, infantry have to pay for charging on mounted troops.
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Sam Déc 31, 2022 9:34 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
lionelrus a écrit:
Impetuous troops are submited to uncontroled charge, except if the situation is covered by an exception.

Exceptions mean impetuous troops are not subjet to uncontroled charge, but must follow all the others "charging rules"

So if these troops want charging, they can do so following usual charging rules, and pay one point.

Can we have this in the next FAQ/errata. Its a significant point thats not clear cut from reading the rulebook.
Longtooth
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Sam Déc 31, 2022 12:16 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
lionelrus a écrit:

Thanks, Lionelrus
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Jan 02, 2023 12:56 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
AlanCutner a écrit:
lionelrus a écrit:

Can we have this in the next FAQ/errata. Its a significant point thats not clear cut from reading the rulebook.

Well, in fact, this means impetuous troops not subjected to uncontrolled charge can't make uncontroled charge.
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Lun Jan 02, 2023 3:52 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
lionelrus a écrit:
Well, in fact, this means impetuous troops not subjected to uncontrolled charge can't make uncontroled charge.

Unfortunately that does not help, as “not required†(as translated in the rules) and “not subject to†have very different meanings in English.  In English the words say that they still have the choice,  e.g, I am not required to eat every day, does not mean that I am never allowed to eat.
Za Otlichiye
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Lun Jan 02, 2023 4:56 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
It's the same problem that causes people to think the 3CP cost applies every time the Impetuous unit is within charge range. The whole uncontrolled charge process is explained from start to finish and then the exceptions show up.
Easy solution is to either place the exceptions in the second spot, or add something like "is within charge range of the enemy and none of the exceptions apply".
A small note because I don't think it will confuse anyone, but " is within charge range of an enemy (ignoring intervening friends)," is incorrect and should read "is within charge range of an enemy (ignoring friends which can be interpenetrated or burst through)". Not every intervening friend can be burst through.

Dernière édition par Za Otlichiye le Jeu Jan 05, 2023 2:49 am; édité 3 fois
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Jan 02, 2023 5:51 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Mike Bennett a écrit:
lionelrus a écrit:

Unfortunately that does not help, as “not required†(as translated in the rules) and “not subject to†have very different meanings in English.  In English the words say that they still have the choice,  e.g, I am not required to eat every day, does not mean that I am never allowed to eat.

I'll make the answer i received so many times when i was playing dbm: loock at original version!
Zoltan
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Lun Jan 02, 2023 7:18 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Lionelrus is correct.

The P 46 Exceptions to uncontrolled charges must be read in the context of the P 45 Uncontrolled charge rules.

P.45 (left column, first para, second sentence) includes the author's clear statement of intent:"All Impetuous troops have the potential to make uncontrolled charges against the enemy in certain circumstances (see exceptions p 46)". The uncontrolled charge circumstances are then listed.

In the exceptions, the phrase "not required" is a simple, insignificant, idiomatic choice by the rule writer and could, instead, have been something like "the Uncontrolled charge rules DO NOT APPLY in the following cases."

You can not "choose" to ignore the P 46 exceptions to the P 45 rules.
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Jan 02, 2023 8:30 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I must admit: zlotan's english is better than mine!
Jhykronos
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Mar Jan 03, 2023 4:35 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Besides, by "choosing" to charge uncontrolled, you make nonsense of the term "uncontrolled".
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Mar Jan 03, 2023 10:27 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I accept all the arguments made on this. But the fact is 'not required' can and is read as making the charge optional by many english speaking players. It is a poor translation. Lets agree to put this in the FAQ/errata and then we can all move on.
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Jan 03, 2023 12:57 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
AlanCutner a écrit:
I accept all the arguments made on this. But the fact is 'not required' can and is read as making the charge optional by many english speaking players. It is a poor translation. Lets agree to put this in the FAQ/errata and then we can all move on.

The charge is optional. The point is can you choose making a uncontroled charge?

It's seems it's clear, because i never met english speakink players made this controled uncontroled charge.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 2 Aller à la page 1, 2  Suivante
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: