Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
exiting a ZOC - choice of orientation?
Page 2 sur 3 Aller à la page Précédente  1, 2, 3  Suivante
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
Za Otlichiye
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mar Déc 13, 2022 12:57 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thinking about this it occurred to me that if the enemy can hit more than one side, you could look at the center of the enemy base and decide which quarter (in saltire) it was in (so long as it wasn't on the 45 Embarassed ).
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Zoltan
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Mar Déc 13, 2022 4:04 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
@SteveR
So u and ur opponent agreed how u would play it during the game and everyone was happy! Doesn't sound like this was a life or death question that any material bearing on the outcome, or ur enjoyment, of the game. I like that! Very Happy
Zoltan
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Mar Déc 13, 2022 4:06 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Za Otlichiye a écrit:
Z,
you are welcome to PM me if you wish to discuss something other than the questions.
What does it matter who found the problem, or how they found it? It remains a non-trivial problem no matter if we ignore it, or skirt around it, or wave our hands, or pretend it isn't.
The only ethical response is to post it in this, the appropriate folder, so others can be aware of it. Then civilly explore it while we patiently wait for resolution.

Za

The lady doth protest too much, methinks. Laughing
elsleyra
Javelinier

MessagePosté le: Mer Déc 14, 2022 1:33 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Zoltan,

Thanks for your response and be assured that I am very much enjoying my ADLG gaming.

I am, however, more confused than I was. I'm also hopeful that I won't need to keep dicing for "how to in apply the rule today" when playing against a new (to me) opponent when there are obviously two different interpretations out there for an aspect of the rules. Obviously, if it's a regular opponent, we'll reach an agreement on how we'll play it until and unless other guidance becomes available.

Yes, I referred to the Unit Orientation diagram on p9 and the definitions below that diagram to determine that the LI was NOT directly in front of my LC, but was on its flank and on its rear. Part of the LI’s front edge was also in the top left “FRONT†area per that diagram and I took this to mean that the LI was also in front of the LC.

When I look at the two prioritised points to determine the most threatening enemy I only see references to “in frontâ€, not to “directly in front†(as is used in the definitions of zone of control p35 & flank contact p41 and the rules for Resolution of uncontrolled charges p45 & Target priority p56). Is this use of "in front" thought to be a translation error?

I note that if an enemy approaches a unit at an angle (so the front edges aren’t parallel) it can ZoC the front of that unit without being even partially directly in front. I had read the first point as meaning that if an enemy was not in front but not directly in front of a unit, it could still be the most threatening enemy even if there was another enemy ZoCing the unit from further away but partially directly in front or if there was another enemy closer but with no part in front of the line extending the unit's front edge. in front but not directly in front and further away.

If “in front†must be read as “directly in front†in the two prioritised points, then enemy ZoCing only parts of the unit’s flank or rear can be the MTE ahead of a unit ZOCing its front from in front, but not directly in front. At least an enemy ZoCing a unit from in front but not directly in front will have part of the unit’s flank edge in its ZoC, so it won’t miss out on consideration in the second point.

I think I’ve now updated my rulebook to include all of the errata from 10-Aug-2022. Re the errata note on p37:
- The pdf I have states "A unit that attempts to evade when it has an enemy ZoC on its flank must first make a quarter turnâ€. ie No mention of “flank or rearâ€.
- I assume this only applies if the MTE does not also have a ZoC on the unit’s front (perhaps? from directly in front) and does not have more of the unit’s rear edge in its ZoC than the flank edge.

Any advice appreciated.

SteveR,
re your "one other point", I assume your bow unit was not quite in position E, but had part of its front edge beyond the straight line extending the (new) Front (previously Rear) edge of the Medium Cav and no part directly in front of it. Otherwise I’m even more confused than I thought I was.

All,
Keep having fun,
Ron
Zoltan
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Mer Déc 14, 2022 9:18 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
@elsleyra - I recommend that you make contact with experienced Australian adlg players like Murray Evans (in Newcastle) or Shaun Drummond (in Queensland) to talk through your rules questions. A personal chat can be much more effective to resolve rules questions than lengthy posts in this forum, which to a great extent has lost its audience. 🤔
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Déc 14, 2022 3:57 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
[quote="elsleyra"]

Citation:
When I look at the two prioritised points to determine the most threatening enemy I only see references to “in frontâ€, not to “directly in front†(as is used in the definitions of zone of control p35 & flank contact p41 and the rules for Resolution of uncontrolled charges p45 & Target priority p56). Is this use of "in front" thought to be a translation error?

No It is not an error. Front and in the "directly" are two different things although related.
Consider p 41 the diagram on the left. People (I suspect) assumed you meant position C1. It now sounds like position b1 is your question.

Citation:
I note that if an enemy approaches a unit at an angle (so the front edges aren’t parallel) it can ZoC the front of that unit without being even partially directly in front. I had read the first point as meaning that if an enemy was not in front but not directly in front of a unit, it could still be the most threatening enemy even if there was another enemy ZoCing the unit from further away but partially directly in front or if there was another enemy closer but with no part in front of the line extending the unit's front edge. in front but not directly in front and further away.

Your first part is correct. You can ZOC someone's front without being "directly in front".

I see your point now. p35 1st bullet of MTE. You are saying the unit not directly in front is "nearest" but a further away unit that is directly in front actually covers the largest part of the front. You are correct this can be engineered. Now there may be less practical effect depending on details with the target exception on p 37 lower left. But that is a tangent. So you do understand the rule. Now I suspect many are sloppy and use the "largest part of the unit's front" as the determiner." One important thing that is true in the ADLG game culture (this may or may not apply to you) is to eschew the DBx tournament rules lawyer gotcha. Where you take a position and then spring aha on opponent. So if you take a position like you outlined. Point it out to your opponent. There is nothing they can do until there move in any case.

Citation:
Re the errata note on p37:
- The pdf I have states "A unit that attempts to evade when it has an enemy ZoC on its flank must first make a quarter turnâ€. ie No mention of “flank or rearâ€.
- I assume this only applies if the MTE does not also have a ZoC on the unit’s front (perhaps? from directly in front) and does not have more of the unit’s rear edge in its ZoC than the flank edge.

A few points here. A way to think about stuff. A unit is NEVER ZOC by more than one unit. That is always the MTE. So in what you write the MTE is either on front, flank or rear. Well, if on rear then your unit does not turn around to move because it is already facing the direction of travel

Will try to give you more replies, it is often easier to untangle a single point in a thread then multiple as you see above i need to parse out parts and hopefully didn't miss a part. I generally suggest people keep the points numbered or something to track.
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Mer Déc 14, 2022 8:23 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
@elsleyra

First of all Ron I am sorry for having jumped into this thread and added to your confusion. You are correct, my unit was in a position which allowed it to contact either the front or the flank of the enemy unit. Position E allows contact on either the rear or the flank edge.

Normally diagrams are more clear to me than words, however in the case of types of contact I find the words more helpful because a common situation is that a unit meets the requirement to contact both the flank or the front edge and this exact position is not shown - a unit would have to straddle B1 and B2 for this to be true. This is where I was.

If an enemy can only contact one edge there is no ambiguity regarding evasion or exiting a ZOC

If an enemy can contact more than one edge there is also no ambiguity regarding evasion - the charging player chooses the edge which will be conformed to and this drives the direction of the evade.
Zoltan
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Mer Déc 14, 2022 9:07 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
@SteveR
Za's OP appeared to be a scenario concerned with Movements Allowed when in a ZoC rather than Exiting a ZoC having been charged. The first scenario brings in the MTE rules; responding to a charge does not. Just saying. Wink
Za Otlichiye
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Jeu Déc 15, 2022 1:08 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Dan, perhaps starting at the beginning would help? Wink

It's a very simple question. You are in a ZoC and wish to exit. The enemy is positioned so that it can charge more than one edge of your unit. In what directions may you exit?

The discussion of MTE has raised some additional questions, but it doesn't really help answer the OP because, however useful as an analogy, it is talking about something else.
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Jeu Déc 15, 2022 11:41 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
@ Zoltan - Agreed. However the evasion process is the same for each.

@Za I have no direct knowledge of what is going on behind the curtain but silence often means they are trying to figure it out before speaking. Or that they consider it de minimus. So we'll see if or how it shakes out.

I have run across this before and as I said it happened again last weekend. So I don't consider it an edge case but it is also not a key aspect of the rules.
Zoltan
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Ven Déc 16, 2022 2:28 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
SteveR a écrit:

Well I guess that's the key point - is it the same?

When evading in response to a charge, p.47 says, "The evading unit is reoriented, in the opposite direction to the charge indicated by the opponent." That's 100% clear for me.

When retreating to exit a ZoC, p.37 (official errata amendment) says, "A unit that attempts to evade when it has an enemy ZoC on its flank must first make a quarter turn. It may not evade to its rear......" That's 100% clear for me.

So returning to Za's OP, a target is ZoCd on both its front edge and flank edge by a single enemy and wishes to retreat to exit the ZoC. Is that unit attempting to evade when it has an enemy ZoC on its flank? it's a Yes or No question. The answer is clearly Yes. Therefore, follow the instructions on p.47 and make a quarter turn before completing the evade move.

Dernière édition par Zoltan le Ven Déc 16, 2022 10:13 am; édité 1 fois
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Ven Déc 16, 2022 7:54 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I agree the words and interpretation you quote are clear even for ZoCs on two edges. That only leaves the question of whether it is intentional, and of course we can only go with what is written without an errata change.
elsleyra
Javelinier

MessagePosté le: Ven Déc 16, 2022 9:59 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Zoltan a écrit:
SteveR a écrit:

When retreating to exit a ZoC, p.37 (official errata amendment) says, "A unit that attempts to evade when it has an enemy ZoC on its flank or rear must first make a quarter turn. It may not evade to its rear......" That's 100% clear for me.

The errata note from the document linked in the message New errata version dated 15 September (ie <Errata_ADG_V4_English.pdf>) says "A unit that attempts to evade when it has an enemy ZoC on its flank must first make a quarter turn. It may not evade to its rear......". It does not say "... an enemy ZoC on its flank or rear ...".
Zoltan
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Ven Déc 16, 2022 10:24 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
@elslyra - many thanks I've corrected my typing error. But my key point remains unaffected - in the OP scenario where one enemy imposes a ZoC on both front and flank edges of an opponent, and the opponent wishes to retreat out of the ZoC, the flank ZoC takes precedence (per the errata) and the retreat evade move commences with a quarter turn. The errata explicitly prohibits a retreat to the rear (which would otherwise imply that the front edge ZoC took precedence).
elsleyra
Javelinier

MessagePosté le: Ven Déc 16, 2022 10:37 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Firstly, many thanks to the various contributors above. Much of my confusion on this matter has now been addressed.

From here I’ll just note that I think we need to be careful re the interpretation of when a unit has “an enemy ZoC on its flankâ€.

If two units are at a slight angle, an enemy ZoC can include part of a unit’s flank without the enemy being on the flank of the unit (per the definition on p 9).

Even more extreme, if a ZoCing enemy is directly in front of a unit and with its front edge parallel to the front edge of the unit, but offset even slightly to one side, its ZoC (ie the 1UD square starting from its front edge) can include part of the flank edge of the unit.

From what I understand of the ethos of ADLG, it would be inappropriate to require an evade to exit a ZoC to include a quarter turn in either of those cases.

Ron

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 2 sur 3 Aller à la page Précédente  1, 2, 3  Suivante
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: