Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Exiting ZOC
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Ven Déc 02, 2022 6:56 pm    Sujet du message: Exiting ZOC Répondre en citant
Question came up in a game last night.

Unit A is zoc'd by enemy unit B. Unit B's is at an angle (abut 30 degrees) to unit A, but within 1UD. Unit A is evade capable so uses an evade to exit the ZOC (P37). Unit A does a half turn (as its ZOC'd to front) and moves straightforward the distance determined by die roll.

The question was whether unit A, after re-orienting, could wheel to match the orientation of unit B. This is allowed if evading from a charge, (P48) but in 'exit from ZOC' there is no charger. So literal reading suggests no wheeling.

Views?
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Za Otlichiye
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Ven Déc 02, 2022 7:32 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
From a game mechanics point of view, it would be hard to define what "matching" means as any would-be charge can take place at a range of angles.

[I'm going to retract this in light of subsequent discussion. It's easy enough to orient to face (or face away from) the center of the enemy unit and can certainly avoid some other complications.]

Dernière édition par Za Otlichiye le Ven Déc 16, 2022 8:16 pm; édité 1 fois
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Ven Déc 02, 2022 8:32 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Za Otlichiye a écrit:
From a game mechanics point of view, it would be hard to define what "matching" means as any would-be charge can take place at a range of angles.

The player concerned wanted to wheel to match unit B's angle. But as unit B wasn't a charger the consensus on the evening was he couldn't.
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Ven Déc 02, 2022 9:31 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
P 49
“All enemy ZOCs are ignored.†Under Evade Move.

Edit - whoops, I thought you were asking a different question. Ignore this.

Dernière édition par KevinD le Sam Déc 03, 2022 2:42 am; édité 1 fois
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Ven Déc 02, 2022 10:19 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
KevinD a écrit:
P 49
“All enemy ZOCs are ignored.†Under Evade Move.

Not sure the relevance of that. Unit A starts in a ZOC. It wants to exit that ZOC so does an evade move. The question is whether the evade has to be straight ahead, or whether it can wheel to match the facing of the unit whose ZOC its evading from.
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Ven Déc 02, 2022 10:53 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
It can wheel as ZOCs are ignored for evading units.

Edit - whoops, I thought you were asking a different question. Ignore this.

Dernière édition par KevinD le Sam Déc 03, 2022 2:43 am; édité 1 fois
Three
Vétéran

MessagePosté le: Sam Déc 03, 2022 12:11 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
It wasn't my game, but I was party to the discussion. Slight correction, Unit A was put into the ZoC of unit B by B moving against/towards A's rear edge, so no reorientation was required.

Anyway, I think the specific question is now moot as Pg37 right hand column, 4th paragraph "Special Case" appears to cover it. We somehow all managed to miss that section despite several re-reads of the section above it.

However, the Special Case says "can", so I'm taking that as it is an option, so Unit A in the example could apply the Special case or it could chose to evade? If there is a choice then the OP question is still relevant.

Assuming it choses to evade, pg37 right hand column 2nd paragraph covers what it must do, and says it leaves B's ZoC by "making an evade move without an enemy charge (see page 47). 1st bullet point doesn't apply as unit B is to it's rear so A doesn't have to re-orientate. 2nd bullet point then says apply points 1-5 of the evade procedure (on pg47 & 48 ). In this case bullet point 3 doesn't apply as no risk of going off table..

If you then go to page 47 and work through points 1-5. Point 1 doesn't apply as no re-orientation is required. Point 2 doesn't apply as there are no blocking units or terrain. Point 3 is most relevant "Evade move direction" - it says the player can chose to "wheel to exactly match the direction of the charge", which was what A's player wanted to do, and was arrived at by following points 1-5. B's player was of the opinion that if there is no charge as in the underlined quote above from page 37 2nd paragraph then there cannot be any wheel to exactly match something that hasn't happened.

For what it's worth, I agreed with B's player, but I could see where A was coming from.

So a 2 part question for me really; first part is does A's player have the choice between using the Special case or evading? Second part is assuming there is a choice allowed to A, can it wheel to exactly match the direction of something that hasn't happened?
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Déc 03, 2022 12:43 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
AlanCutner a écrit:
Question came up in a game last night.

Unit A is zoc'd by enemy unit B. Unit B's is at an angle (abut 30 degrees) to unit A, but within 1UD. Unit A is evade capable so uses an evade to exit the ZOC (P37). Unit A does a half turn (as its ZOC'd to front) and moves straightforward the distance determined by die roll.

The question was whether unit A, after re-orienting, could wheel to match the orientation of unit B. This is allowed if evading from a charge, (P48) but in 'exit from ZOC' there is no charger. So literal reading suggests no wheeling.

Views?

A does a half turn and flee without wheeling.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: