Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Deploying Stakes while in melee
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Lun Déc 27, 2021 9:15 pm    Sujet du message: Deploying Stakes while in melee Répondre en citant
I have searched the forum but have not found the answer to this.

May a unit of Bow place stakes while in a melee?

For example, a unit of Cavalry charge them and they do not have their stakes placed. They survive the combat and so in their turn wish to place stakes.

A unit in melee may perform a group extension so some moves in melee are allowed.

However stakes are much like a War Wagon becoming Combat Ready. And War Wagons are specifically excluded from being able to become Combat Ready while fighting. Page 14. However they are not exactly like War Wagons, for example a War Wagon may remove combat ready status and move in the same turn. A unit with stakes cannot.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Lun Déc 27, 2021 9:27 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
SteveR a écrit:
I have searched the forum but have not found the answer to this.

May a unit of Bow place stakes while in a melee?

For example, a unit of Cavalry charge them and they do not have their stakes placed. They survive the combat and so in their turn wish to place stakes.

A unit in melee may perform a group extension so some moves in melee are allowed.

However stakes are much like a War Wagon becoming Combat Ready. And War Wagons are specifically excluded from being able to become Combat Ready while fighting. Page 14. However they are not exactly like War Wagons, for example a War Wagon may remove combat ready status and move in the same turn. A unit with stakes cannot.

An interesting rules question, but absurd historically.

Some dude on a horse is whacking you over the head with a mace and you’re going to stop defending yourself, grab a mallet and some stakes and start pounding them into the ground, all the while being repeatedly struck in the noggin by said mace? Really?
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Lun Déc 27, 2021 10:51 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
No need to try to bring history into it. It's too easy to rationalize whatever answer one wishes.

For example, how many minutes is each turn? There are periodic lulls in fighting. Put them in then.

Or, in the case that arose today, let some of the camels that were somehow unnoticed by the cavalry when they charged up through the lines. And carefully take cover behind them.

It might leave gaps in the line but heck - my Midianite archers are just anticipating a manipular Roman checkerboard formation if there are any gaps. Gaps never hurt a Roman.

Anyway, it is indeed a rules question and will probably be answered based on balance and such.
Za Otlichiye
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Lun Déc 27, 2021 11:52 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I think the second paragraph page 60 implies the only things you can do is continue melee or disengage. And rallying I guess.
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Déc 28, 2021 8:24 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Za Otlichiye a écrit:
I think the second paragraph page 60 implies the only things you can do is continue melee or disengage. And rallying I guess.

Absolutly!
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Mar Déc 28, 2021 8:57 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Also as I said earlier a group extension move is also allowed as explicitly specified on page 33.

I'm not seeing page 60 as intending on covering this circumstance.
Za Otlichiye
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mar Déc 28, 2021 9:32 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
True, but the units doing the "extending" are coming from a rear rank and not in melee themselves.

It looks like units in simple support can waltz off how they will, so I imagine they can deploy stakes as well. [Although Black Prince makes a good point below.]

Dernière édition par Za Otlichiye le Jeu Déc 30, 2021 6:37 pm; édité 1 fois
Black Prince
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Mer Déc 29, 2021 5:34 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Za Otlichiye a écrit:
True, but the units doing the "extending" are coming from a rear rank and not in melee themselves.

It looks like units in simple support can waltz off how they will, so I imagine they can deploy stakes as well.

I disagree a unit in simple support can decide to stop fighting and move off, a unit can one or the other. A unit that is in simple support it can only be in support, not be in support plus shoot (if it had bows), place stakes. Rallying being the notable exception. I guess a unit could stop being in simple support and place stakes.
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Déc 30, 2021 2:25 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
lionelrus a écrit:
Za Otlichiye a écrit:

Absolutly!
 Za Otlichiye and Lionelrus are correct here. 

Once a unit is in melee, the only permitted movement is to disengage (or rout / pursue). See P60
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Dim Jan 09, 2022 6:28 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I agree with the conclusion, it is after all why I posted.

But find using a linguistic interpretation of the verbiage on page 60 as justification to be a slender reed indeed.

It does not even mention movement, seems to be addressing a different topic (how a melee ends) and I already cited an example of a case where a group movement in melee is allowed.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: