Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Sequentially dicing to get a Waterway or Village
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Mar Déc 07, 2021 6:56 pm    Sujet du message: Sequentially dicing to get a Waterway or Village Répondre en citant
Suppose as the defender I only want a village if I don’t get a waterway. The rules allow me to select any non-WW/River terrain piece if I fail to get a Waterway (p 74), so I plan to try to take a village in that event, and if that fails something else besides a Waterway, River or Village (p 75).

So in sequence it is:

1. First I must select the Compulsory piece, right? (Placing sequence, p 74)

2. Then can I select and dice (4+) to get the waterway. (p 74)

3. If I fail that roll I can then select and dice (4+) to get the village.

4. If I fail both the above rolls then I select another piece. (p75)

5. And finally I select 1-3 other pieces of terrain leaving me with the Compulsory plus 2-4 other pieces (one of which may be a WW (50%) or village (25%).

Correct?
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Mar Déc 07, 2021 9:55 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
You are correct in all respects, with one exception I believe.

What you have laid out is acceptable, however I do not believe that the selection of a water feature or village necessarily must be before all other non-compulsory features. You could pick out one of those first if you wish, in my opinion.

Similarly I do not believe the word "must" if you fail the selection of a feature necessarily means another one is required if you have already selected the minimum required number of features.

However my opinion is of little weight and in practice it seems much better to roll first to see if you get non-guaranteed features before making any other selections.

So it does not matter.

Personally I always try for water first, then a village.
Zoltan
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Mer Déc 08, 2021 9:56 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
@Kevin

I think you are way overthinking this and I don’t understand why you are trying to lay out such a prescriptive sequence. It’s really very simple.

If you are the defender you “get†a compulsory piece of terrain (there’s really no “selection†in the sense of you weighing up which piece to chose from the list of available terrain options).

Now chose 2-4 other pieces, in any order you like. Common sense says you dice for the uncertain pieces before choosing the “guaranteed†pieces.

Terrain selection should take 1 minute max, as you’ve already mentally noted your preferred terrain (as either attacker or defender) when drawing up your army list. You know the terrain your army likes or how terrain fits into disrupting your opponent.
Za Otlichiye
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mer Déc 08, 2021 9:54 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Zoltan a écrit:
@Kevin
Terrain selection should take 1 minute max, ...

Which page is that rule on? Laughing

I don't think the answers can be extracted from the rules, which are under specified.
That's not unreasonable. There is a lot of scope for optimizing terrain selection using different hills for different sectors, etc. But since it is a modeling hobby as well as a game, few players are going to create 7 types of forests for maximum flexibility. In fact, IIUC, some tournaments specify the terrain for the players.
It is probably best to check with your opponent or tournament director for what they accept.
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Jeu Déc 09, 2021 12:00 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Za Otlichiye a écrit:
Zoltan a écrit:
@Kevin
Terrain selection should take 1 minute max, ...

Which page is that rule on? Laughing

I don't think the answers can be extracted from the rules, which are under specified.
That's not unreasonable. There is a lot of scope for optimizing terrain selection using different hills for different sectors, etc. But since it is a modeling hobby as well as a game, few players are going to create 7 types of forests for maximum flexibility. In fact, IIUC, some tournaments specify the terrain for the players.
It is probably best to check with your opponent or tournament director for what they accept.

I asked because I want to know exactly how this will work so I can get through it as fast as possible without having to stop the game to check with the rules, refs or divine oracles.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: