Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Can villages, fields and plantations have rounded corners.
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Mer Oct 06, 2021 10:57 pm    Sujet du message: Can villages, fields and plantations have rounded corners. Répondre en citant
The rules on p 70 say, “Fields, plantations and villages must be rectangular in shape. Other terrain elements are irregular in shape with rounded corners.â€

Are rounded corners permitted for fields, plantations and villages? If so how much rounding is allowed until it’s no longer “rectangular�
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Oct 06, 2021 11:11 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
KevinD a écrit:
The rules on p 70 say, “Fields, plantations and villages must be rectangular in shape. Other terrain elements are irregular in shape with rounded corners.â€

Are rounded corners permitted for fields, plantations and villages? If so how much rounding is allowed until it’s no longer “rectangular�

There is - as you have spotted - nothing explicit in the rules about this. 

It appears to be one of those things that simply has been left to the common sense of the players involved. 

If one or neither player is possessed of sufficient common sense to get past this issue, it’s probably a good time to end the game in a draw.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Oct 06, 2021 11:14 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
As an umpire, I would say mildly rounded particularly if it was a high quality handmade or commercial design would be ok. A snipped piece of felt no. And yes that is snobbish.

If the "rounded" corner was of sufficient vacant space to create say 1/2 UD square of open space I would reject it as that likely starts to have consequences.

If I was a player and the other player objected to my lovely terrain piece with mildly rounded edges I would slide a piece of paper under it to conform technically.

So in general I would argue in favor or pretty terrain and good sportsmanship where possible..
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Jeu Oct 07, 2021 12:30 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hazelbark a écrit:
As an umpire, I would say mildly rounded particularly if it was a high quality handmade or commercial design would be ok. A snipped piece of felt no. And yes that is snobbish.

If the "rounded" corner was of sufficient vacant space to create say 1/2 UD square of open space I would reject it as that likely starts to have consequences.

If I was a player and the other player objected to my lovely terrain piece with mildly rounded edges I would slide a piece of paper under it to conform technically.

So in general I would argue in favor or pretty terrain and good sportsmanship where possible..

To answer my own question: I think rounding is reasonable for aesthetic reasons, but not where it is to allow a larger sized piece of terrain to be placed. (By rounding off the corners you can get a larger piece of terrain to fit inside a circle 6UD in diameter.)
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Oct 07, 2021 1:01 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
RAW the answer is “NOâ€. Fields, plantations and villages are rectangular and as such have sharp corners. 
I would go so far as to suggest that other terrain should not have “corners†as such, since a corner implies a sharp angle. 

Note, the term rectangle implies 90’ corners, which helps players to create terrain that will contain exact numbers of units - very useful in game terms. 

That said, as the others have suggested, common sense and a degree of flexibility can be applied here, it is a game after all . . .

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: