Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
No pursuit versus those who break off
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Jeu Sep 30, 2021 10:42 pm    Sujet du message: No pursuit versus those who break off Répondre en citant
I find it odd that impetuous troops don’t pursue opponents who break off (and that other troops don’t have the option to do so).

Was this done as a play balance mechanism to prevent impetuous troops from being too easily pulled apart?
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Ven Oct 01, 2021 11:54 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Well, I personally find it kind of strange that it is easier to disengage from combat and move back away from an enemy through their ZOC than it is to just move back out of a ZOC.

But things are what they are
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Sam Oct 02, 2021 12:23 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Breaking off, or disengaging as it's called in ADLG, has a long history in wargames rules.

In early editions of WRG Ancients it sometimes resulted from losing a melee (a bounce if you like), the victor might then test to see if they followed up or not depending on troop types and orders.

The current practice is pretty much an abstraction of that. It's a move mostly available to mounted (usually if they're not doing well) against foot (or slower mounted obvs) the opponent can then choose to raise the stakes by pushing forward or charging in their turn.

Why is it easier than getting out of a ZoC without fighting?

I think the answer lies in the question - if you can evade it's as easy as breaking off, but if you can't then you are melee troops and expect to fight once you have the enemy in your ZoC. The difficulty and disorder cost of getting out of that situation is the price you pay for not taking what is, presumably, a worse result if you stay where you are or charge home.

Dave
ethan
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Sam Oct 02, 2021 1:47 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
SteveR a écrit:
Well, I personally find it kind of strange that it is easier to disengage from combat and move back away from an enemy through their ZOC than it is to just move back out of a ZOC.

That one to me isn't strange. If you are the type that can evade it is just as easy to get out of a ZoC as it is to break off.

Break-offs are there mostly to represent cavalry reforming for another charge. Knights didn't back out of a fight, but they could "rally" break off and reform for another charge.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: