Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Charging the most threatening enemy
Page 2 sur 3 Aller à la page Précédente  1, 2, 3  Suivante
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Question sur la règle V4
Auteur Message
harryKonst
Archer

MessagePosté le: Ven Juin 25, 2021 5:19 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I wish you to enjoy this great game the most Dave. Hope to see you soon. Greece after a decade of financial recession , almost two years of coronavirus and a strong propability of war since last Summer, little by little enters a better environment, so we believe if everything goes well we will be able to send teams again for international tournaments, after 2021. Be well and have a nice life. Smile
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
MC_Delicatessen
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Lun Juil 12, 2021 10:47 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
harryKonst a écrit:
Ok, now I have to insist. All the restrictions on page 36 (3rd bullet) are referring when moving in the most threatening's enemy ZoC. When charging you are free to make whatever you like, even wheeling when already in the ZoC of the other unit and parallel with it.
Guys, it seems we all got it wrong at the beginning. Lets correct it now! The proof is given by the author in the book:
Page 38, EXAMPLE OF ZOC picture: See unit M1 , is 100% parallel and Zoced by CV unit D. The author says: 'The MI also exerts a ZoC on the cavalry unit D and vise versa. The medium swordsmen MI can perform A WHEEL and advance toward cavalry D or SLIDE to charge it.'
You need other proof than that?
Please if the author or other participants in the DT, read this post, can you confirm (or reject) it?

I think you are not clearly citing the passage on p38. It says: "The MI can perform a wheel and advance towards cavalry D or slide to charge it."

It does not say you can wheel and charge. It does not say "When charging you are free to make whatever you like, even wheeling..." It actually seems to say you can slide to charge in this case, but not wheel to charge in this case.

Why this p38 MI wheel to advance example is stated in the book is a different story. It seems to directly contradict p36 - it's quite clear from p36 that you cannot move in a ZOC to become less aligned. It looks like a mistake.
harryKonst
Archer

MessagePosté le: Mar Juil 13, 2021 2:53 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
MC_Delicatessen, would you say the same if there was a comma after the word 'slide'? : ' The medium swordsmen MI can perform a wheel and advance toward cavalry D or slide, to charge it.' Smile Since we know that this movement contradicts p36 I believed there is a comma missing from the sentence, not a mistake, and both movements are referring to a charge. Any way, we have now Zoltan's post that covers my question. I hope to an official answer from the author.
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Juil 13, 2021 5:29 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
V4 of the rules has a lot of cross-references which assist in clarifying particular points.
In this case (what manoeuvres a unit can make when in an enemy ZoC), BP2 reinforces the text of the Slide manoeuvre P30, Restrictions BP2 which allows a slide as part of a charge.
As a consequence, IMHO treating P35 BP2 in any way misunderstands the text.

So, the logic is
  • The unit makes a "Charge manoeuvre" P41.
  • This follows the Charge procedure P42, which governs the charge direction (section 2 and 4), in which the chargers "must respect the ZoC of the most threatening enemy (see p 35)", but may Wheel, Slide, or Turn and possibly wheel in order to make contact.
  • P35 BP3 dictates the manoeuvres permitted in an enemy ZoC, which includes Turning, Wheeling or Sliding to become more aligned as part of the charge movement.
The text in P35 is split into two bullets to distinguish Sliding to charge, from manoeuvring to become aligned without contacting the enemy
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Mar Juil 13, 2021 8:37 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
MC_Delicatessen a écrit:
It does not say "When charging you are free to make whatever you like, even wheeling..."

Sorry to appear confrontational, but on the contrary, for some people that is not so far off what page 36, bullet point 2 does say, "Charge the most threatening enemy. If needed the unit can slide inside the ZoC to align and contact the most threatening enemy." ie no BP3 constraints.

So in summary there seems to be 2 schools of thought on the constraints on chargers in a ZoC
1. They extend beyond complying with BP2, e.g. BP3 also applies (this was my own original understanding)
2. fully defined in BP2 and the only limitation is that you must be able to hit the most threatening enemy. Wheels are then allowed as long as they do not violate this sole condition (I.e. literal reading of the rules exactly as written)

Views seem entrenched and in any case the only views that matter are those of Herve / DT and in the interim any tournament umpire, or the players. I personally do not care which is chosen, but hope that one is chosen and it is consistent. I will cease to make any further pointless comments on the topic, awaiting the official view. In the interim I have checked how Alan will apply it, as extra constraints on charges in ZoCs really increase evades options, if my Skythians had any such troops Wink
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Juil 13, 2021 9:53 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
harryKonst a écrit:
Ok, now I have to insist. All the restrictions on page 36 (3rd bullet) are referring when moving in the most threatening's enemy ZoC. When charging you are free to make whatever you like, even wheeling when already in the ZoC of the other unit and parallel with it.

Absolutly not.
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Juil 13, 2021 10:11 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
harryKonst a écrit:

Guys, it seems we all got it wrong at the beginning. Lets correct it now! The proof is given by the author in the book:
Page 38, EXAMPLE OF ZOC picture: See unit M1 , is 100% parallel and Zoced by CV unit D. The author says: 'The MI also exerts a ZoC on the cavalry unit D and vise versa. The medium swordsmen MI can perform A WHEEL and advance toward cavalry D or SLIDE to charge it.'
You need other proof than that?
Please if the author or other participants in the DT, read this post, can you confirm (or reject) it?

The exemple about Mi page 38 is wrong, because, if MI can slide to charge Cv (sliding make it becoming more aligned), Mi can't wheel to charge Cv, because if it do it it's less aligned.
For the older players, i rememer it's not the first time a exemple picture contredict the texte, ie in V3 impétuous moves.
Anyway, french reading is alway the same: if a exemple contredict the text, so exemple is bad writen. So, a exemple is always useless to get round the rule.
we had read more and more the text before publishing and we hadn't see it, sorry. But, according to the main role of zoc in ADG philosophy, the rules about moving in ZOC ALLWAYS applies (there is one exception...).
I have to point a little thing: Mike Bennet and Ramses II was members of team of rule's redactors, so their words are always reliable.
except if they don't agree me!
harryKonst
Archer

MessagePosté le: Mer Juil 14, 2021 9:30 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
So, Lionelrus as I understand, you are a member of the DT. The answer you give us is official. It's ok by me, I wanted an official clear answer, that we all (the international ADLG community ) can use as a guide. The following two examples of charging in the ZoC's of the most threatening enemies must also be wrong. Check page 50 the OTHER EXAMPLE picture (A1 unit's front enters the MTE's ZoC and then partly exits it before contact). Also on page 36 the ADVANCE IN A ZOC picture the passage says ; 'A2 could also advance straight ahead to charge B2', but that movement also makes the A2 unit's front to enter and then partly exit the MTE's ZoC. All those (wrong ?) examples and the different bullet about charging the MTE on page 36, made me believe something about charging while in the ZoC of the MTE was understood wrong by the readers.
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Juil 14, 2021 12:39 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
P50, Schedule concerns conformation rules and not moving in ZOC
A1 contacts partly B1. All An group contact Bn group and all units are partly in contact. So, and AFTER contact, conformation rules made A1 get out B1 contact (and not B1 ZOC).

P36, only one picture get a B2 unit, i so suppose it's the arguing case.
" the movement is possible p to the limit indicated by the diagram", so for reason clearly explained in the text below the picture, A2 CAN'T charge B2 by a straight ahead movement.
A 2 can charge B2 only by wheeling first.

To be clear, i'm not DT member, i'm one of the (few) V4 redactors. Official answers can only be given by El Kreator Himself.
MC_Delicatessen
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Mer Juil 14, 2021 6:21 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
harryKonst a écrit:
So, Lionelrus as I understand, you are a member of the DT. The answer you give us is official. It's ok by me, I wanted an official clear answer, that we all (the international ADLG community ) can use as a guide. The following two examples of charging in the ZoC's of the most threatening enemies must also be wrong. Check page 50 the OTHER EXAMPLE picture (A1 unit's front enters the MTE's ZoC and then partly exits it before contact). Also on page 36 the ADVANCE IN A ZOC picture the passage says ; 'A2 could also advance straight ahead to charge B2', but that movement also makes the A2 unit's front to enter and then partly exit the MTE's ZoC. All those (wrong ?) examples and the different bullet about charging the MTE on page 36, made me believe something about charging while in the ZoC of the MTE was understood wrong by the readers.

The examples you cite on p50 and p36 are not wrong. BP2 applies to these. They are charges straight ahead to contact the enemy. There are lots of examples where a charge at an angle causes “points on the front edge that were in the ZoC to leave it†- but that is BP3 which is about getting closer to the MTE and does not apply to a charge.

Would be good if El K could confirm that p38 “MI can perform a wheel...†is not right - or explain Wink
MC_Delicatessen
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Jeu Juil 15, 2021 11:28 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
As a bright spark has pointed out on Facebook, there are lots of examples in the book where a wheel/turn in the ZoC is part of a charge:

"page 38, EXAMPLE OF ZOC, see what the CV in the picture does.(It makes a wheel or a quarter turn to align with A or charge it).
Go page38, see INVOLUNTARY EXIT FROM A ZOC , the Zoced Cv B turns 90, and it can charge of course.
Go page 37, SPECIAL CASE, B1 wheels to charge A2 which ZoCed it
Go page 46, EXAMPLE OF UNCONTROLLED CHARGE, unit H ZoCed by unit 8, turns 90 and charges."

In all these cases a wheel/turn is the only way to charge from within a ZoC and contact the enemy.

So, to my mind this highlights that p36 BP2 is definitely incomplete. There are cases when - not just a slide - a wheel/turn can be made to charge in a ZoC. (The English in p36 BP2 says "if needed, the unit can slide..." If it said "if necessary to enable contact, the unit can slide, wheel or turn..." or something like that, it would be clearer.)

The question I have then is, can you wheel (if you become more aligned) during "any" charge within a ZoC, or can you only wheel/turn if you have to (to contact the enemy with a charge in a ZoC)?
harryKonst
Archer

MessagePosté le: Jeu Juil 15, 2021 1:00 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
MC_Delicatessen, are you a new LADLG player ? Smile I'm afraid we'll have to wait patiently for an official answer, my friend. Meanwhile I inform you that Χάρης Κωνσταντάρας who wrote those examples in facebook and harrykonst of this forum are the same person, me. I use my greek name in facebook. Of course you can make a variety of actions while in the ZoC of an enemy unit, in order to charge. As for the rest, lets hope to an official answer soon.
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Juil 15, 2021 5:57 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I'm sorry, but it's seems you absolutly want get round the rule about this, dispite all explainations already given. So, as all is allready written in the rule, i'm afraid no official answer will be given.
As far i'm concerned, i will no more post about this.
MC_Delicatessen
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Jeu Juil 15, 2021 6:27 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
harryKonst a écrit:
MC_Delicatessen, are you a new LADLG player ? Smile I'm afraid we'll have to wait patiently for an official answer, my friend. Meanwhile I inform you that Χάρης Κωνσταντάρας who wrote those examples in facebook and harrykonst of this forum are the same person, me. I use my greek name in facebook. Of course you can make a variety of actions while in the ZoC of an enemy unit, in order to charge. As for the rest, lets hope to an official answer soon.

LOL. Nice to meet you Harry!
MC_Delicatessen
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Jeu Juil 15, 2021 6:43 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
lionelrus a écrit:
I'm sorry, but it's seems you absolutly want get round the rule about this, dispite all explainations already given. So, as all is allready written in the rule, i'm afraid no official answer will be given.
As far i'm concerned, i will no more post about this.

Good to know we’re all in this together mon brave!

Bizarre.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Question sur la règle V4
Page 2 sur 3 Aller à la page Précédente  1, 2, 3  Suivante
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: