Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Commander's free - CP or order?
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
Za Otlichiye
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mer Mar 30, 2022 1:27 am    Sujet du message: Commander's free - CP or order? Répondre en citant
Page 27 a commander has a "free CP" to use to move themselves; more a unit or group; charge with a unit or group; halt (hold?) a unit or group; rally a unit.
Since some of these things might take more that 1 CP, is it the case that more CPs from the die roll may have to be added, or it the "free CP" better stated as a "free order"?
The term "halt" means hold, correct?
Can a commander use their free command to plant stakes by a unit or group? to disengage a unit or group?
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Zoltan
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Mer Mar 30, 2022 8:44 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Yes to all of your points.

For the avoidance of doubt, apart from moving himself the commander’s “free CP†can only be used in relation to a unit (and any related group) to which the commander’s model is currently attached. In other words, the commander cannot use the “free CP†on a unit (or group) in his corps to which he is not currently attached.
Za Otlichiye
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mer Mar 30, 2022 7:08 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I had thought it took 1CP to move the commander. Upon more careful reading it looks like only their free order can be used to move them. So you can't spend 1CP to move to and attach to an impetuous unit you then hold with the free command. You must move with the free command and spend 3CP to do that.
Za Otlichiye
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mer Mar 30, 2022 9:01 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
It appears that a commander can attach to a unit outside his command, at least for the purposed of fleeing enemy contact. I doubt they can use their free command as it creates a timing issue. Would the order occur during the commander's activation or the unit's activation?
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Jeu Mar 31, 2022 4:53 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Za Otlichiye a écrit:
I had thought it took 1CP to move the commander. Upon more careful reading it looks like only their free order can be used to move them. So you can't spend 1CP to move to and attach to an impetuous unit you then hold with the free command. You must move with the free command and spend 3CP to do that.

Why is this relevant, what difference do you see it making, I cannot see one. In either case 1 to move and 3 to hold.
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Jeu Mar 31, 2022 5:32 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Za Otlichiye a écrit:
Page 27 a commander has a "free CP" to use to move themselves; more a unit or group; charge with a unit or group; halt (hold?) a unit or group; rally a unit.
Since some of these things might take more that 1 CP, is it the case that more CPs from the die roll may have to be added, or it the "free CP" better stated as a "free order"?
Can a commander use their free command to plant stakes by a unit or group? to disengage a unit or group?

(In my not so extensive experience) I have always seen this played as a free CP, not a free action regardless of the number of CPs required. For example, if you want to hold/halt a group of impetuous troops in charge reach of the enemy, normally requiring 3 CPs, it would require 2 CPs plus the attached general’s free CP.

(This is operationalised as follows: People I have played always give themselves a token (or poker chip) for each CP they roll plus a differently colored one for the general, and then discard these as they make their moves. The general’s token can be used for any action of a unit/group to which he is attached. When they are out of tokens/chips they are done.)

Am I wrong?
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Mar 31, 2022 7:22 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
KevinD a écrit:
Za Otlichiye a écrit:

(In my not so extensive experience) I have always seen this played as a free CP, not a free action regardless of the number of CPs required. For example, if you want to hold/halt a group of impetuous troops in charge reach of the enemy, normally requiring 3 CPs, it would require 2 CPs plus the attached general’s free CP.

(This is operationalised as follows: People I have played always give themselves a token (or poker chip) for each CP they roll plus a differently colored one for the general, and then discard these as they make their moves. The general’s token can be used for any action of a unit/group to which he is attached. When they are out of tokens/chips they are done.)

Am I wrong?

You’re absolutely right Kevin. Along with every other person in the world who actually plays ADLG. 
Za Otlichiye
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Jeu Mar 31, 2022 2:27 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Mike Bennett a écrit:
Za Otlichiye a écrit:

Why is this relevant, what difference do you see it making, I cannot see one. In either case 1 to move and 3 to hold.

It's not relevant if it's 1 free CP. It is relevant if it's 1 free command. That is my question. It seems the answer is that it's 1 free CP.
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Mar 31, 2022 4:17 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Za Otlichiye a écrit:
Mike Bennett a écrit:
Za Otlichiye a écrit:

It's not relevant if it's 1 free CP. It is relevant if it's 1 free command. That is my question. It seems the answer is that it's 1 free CP.

I suspect the wording on p25 which says "Each commander also gets a free command point each game turn ..." is the big clue that has helped us all* in coming to that conclusion.

(* OK, nearly all of us)
Za Otlichiye
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Jeu Mar 31, 2022 8:00 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I got it wrong. Shrug. I would prefer a simple direct and polite answer, but it's an unmoderated forum, so wha'cha gonna do?
If you want to know why I got it wrong, well it seems deeper when there's a whole paragraph dedicated to it on page 27. Page 25 could have said:
In addition, each commander gets 1 CP limited to use in the presence of the commander. That is, to move the unattached commander, or to order a unit, or group including the unit, to which the commander is attached or included.
and been done with it. Course now Tim can accuse me of trying to rewrite the rules. Sigh.
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Jeu Mar 31, 2022 10:06 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Za Otlichiye a écrit:
I got it wrong. Shrug. I would prefer a simple direct and polite answer, but it's an unmoderated forum, so wha'cha gonna do?
If you want to know why I got it wrong, well it seems deeper when there's a whole paragraph dedicated to it on page 27. Page 25 could have said:
In addition, each commander gets 1 CP limited to use in the presence of the commander. That is, to move the unattached commander, or to order a unit, or group including the unit, to which the commander is attached or included.
and been done with it. Course now Tim can accuse me of trying to rewrite the rules. Sigh.

Complains about lack of civility on the forum, but this is the kind of response he makes to others:

Za Otlichiye a écrit:
Nonsense.

Rolling Eyes
DarkBlack
Barbare

MessagePosté le: Jeu Avr 21, 2022 1:23 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Za Otlichiye a écrit:

That would be a gross underestimation of wargamers' ability to confuse ourselves with simple and straight forward rules.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: