Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Juan Juan allies
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Army lists
Auteur Message
cyranoinlondon
Javelinier

MessagePosté le: Jeu Oct 13, 2016 7:43 pm    Sujet du message: Juan Juan allies Répondre en citant
The Juan Juan appear as allies in Chinese Northern Dynasties (list 120). It says to use the Hsiung Nu (list 116) if the army is pre-500AD.

But the Hsiung Nu list has 2 parts - a 'generic' part and a Southern Hsiung Nu.

So can you choose which part of the list you use, generic or Southern, or are you constrained by history to use one particular part of the list?

Thanks
C
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Oct 13, 2016 9:58 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
The Juan-Juan are not Southern Hsiung-Nu ergo you cannot use the southern Hsiung-nu options.
cyranoinlondon
Javelinier

MessagePosté le: Ven Oct 14, 2016 12:20 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Dan,

With all due respect that doesn't really address the question. The Juan-Juan are not Hsiung-Nu at all. They are a successor grouping.

So you could use the same reasoning as you have to say ' The Juan -Juan are not Hsiung Nu ergo you can't use any Hsiung Nu options'. That clearly is nonsense - 'reductio ad absurdum', because we are told to use the Hsiung Nu list. But given that the list is in effect 2 lists - the northern branch who kept to steppe style cavalry and the southern part that adopted Chinese cataphracts- the question is do we know which part best represents the Juan-Juan and if not, are we free to choose which we think is best?

Now I am not an expert on the history of the Chinese steppes. What little I have gleaned can be summarised as:-

1. The Hsiung Nu were a group of tribes/clans.
2. The northern branch of the Hsiung Nu fled west under attack from the Hsien Pi. (And became the Huns).
3. The southerners formed some short lived kingdoms in China proper.
4. A number of tribes/clans recombined around 300AD and formed the Juan-Juan. But whether these were northern clans, or southern clans or a mix of the two I have been unable to ascertain.

It seems to me that unless we know that the clans involved in the formation of the Juan-Juan were all northern then using southern options would be reasonable but not compulsory. By the same token if the clans are all from one area, northern or southern, then that determines which options have to be used.

I appreciate that my initial question didn't spell all this out in grisly detail, but this is what underlies it.

Regards
C
Stephen
Archer

MessagePosté le: Ven Oct 14, 2016 8:39 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
As the army lists are part of a game, it seems to
me that historical arguments are faulty. However, for what is worth, I believe that the Southern Dynasties recruited large numbers of Chiang and ti tribesmen which are only available in the Southern Hsiung- nu list. As far as geographic designations go, I think they are appropriate and usefully descriptive for the Chinese but far less so for the Hsiang-nu
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Envoyer un e-mail
Stephen
Archer

MessagePosté le: Ven Oct 14, 2016 9:04 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I posted in haste. The notes to list 116 say that the southern tribes associated with the Juan Juan but the Southern hsiung-nu are prohibited allies. Best guess is that either interpretation is within the spirit of the rules.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Envoyer un e-mail
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Oct 15, 2016 1:05 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
cyranoinlondon a écrit:
Dan,

With all due respect that doesn't really address the question. The Juan-Juan are not Hsiung-Nu at all. They are a successor grouping.

So you could use the same reasoning as you have to say ' The Juan -Juan are not Hsiung Nu ergo you can't use any Hsiung Nu options'. That clearly is nonsense - 'reductio ad absurdum', because we are told to use the Hsiung Nu list. But given that the list is in effect 2 lists - the northern branch who kept to steppe style cavalry and the southern part that adopted Chinese cataphracts- the question is do we know which part best represents the Juan-Juan and if not, are we free to choose which we think is best?

No you are being "absurd" (gawd that reads very childlike, apologies) and overstating your point. You have a point, but you are not making it correctly.

It is not the northern branch versus the southern. It is the list versus a specific variation within the list.

The Situation:
The list says Hsiung-Nu, I said because it doesn't specify the subset it rules it out. You say because it doesn't rule it out, it is permissible. I would agree these are the two ways to look at this.

Now one could read the Hsiung-Nu notes as implying the Juan-Juan are distinct but I am uncertain that is binding in this case.

I recall this was recently explicitly answered somewhere but can't seem to recall where so maybe I am mis-remembering.
AvogadroTheMole
Frondeur

MessagePosté le: Sam Oct 22, 2016 12:17 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Perhaps I should wait to post until I get home and can reference my book, but I thought there was a statement in the book that army list options need to be specified to use? Maybe I am thinking of a different system and apologise if that is the case.

Still, I think precedent in the army lists side with hazelbark's interpretation. The army lists specifically dictate when a special option is called for. For example, the Nikephorian byzantine may take a Beduoin ally, but the list specifically mandates it to be the Hamdanid option/sub-list (and this is only during a specific year or two. I am not sure this "seals the deal." But, making an interpretation/history based argument, I will observe that some highly a-historic and somewhat absurd allies are possible if one is allowed to choose special option freely. Again, I should have waited to reference my book, but I think it was the Sassanids who could possibly be taken as an ally with a special king's campaign that took place on the far side of the empire from where the native list was located. In the Spanish list (again, I think it was them) the Carthaginians could take a special option for an army that had nothing to do with them when they were fighting. Not a particularly potent argument, but suggestive.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about Juan-Juan or Hsiung-Nu at all, so I really cannot say anything about which option is more historically appropriate and whether the book gets it right or not.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Army lists
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: