Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Hills & Dull games
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
stuuk
Gladiateur

MessagePosté le: Jeu Fév 12, 2015 7:13 am    Sujet du message: Hills & Dull games Répondre en citant
This doesn't apply just to ADG - it could apply equally to FoG / DMB / etc.
The basic point of my post was that hills can make for dull games because people then tend to stand on them, gaining +1 across the whole line.

I suppose there may be similar situations where for example I have an army which fights well in terrain, but yours fights well in the open. If I setup in terrain there could be a situation where neither side wishes to fight - you won't enter, I won't leave - so effectively the game is over before it begins.

Anyone have any idea on how to deal with this kind of situation?
Scenarios would be the obvious choice, but then again most field battles in the ancient period were fought when both commanders wanted to - if my army fights well in terrain and I'm caught in the open, then we really messed up before we got to the fight...
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Soranon
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Fév 12, 2015 10:45 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I think you could think about flank march.

An army that stay on hill protected by some other terrain is a statical one. You nearly always can find a way tu turn it.

The key for that is having some good medium troops and cavalry in your army list.

If it's impossible, game will be boring. But most of time you can find a way to turn ennemy line.

In tournament, playing defensive tactic doesn't pay. You will end with just a few points in all your games and you will finished low in ranking.

Some french players had try already this tactic (and still trying it) and they cry because they want that draw will be more rewarded...

For my part I doesn't want to play boring games like that....

Edit : Even if you must stay in defense against an opponent (because your army is doomed in open) you nearly always can be agressive on one part of the battle field. So staying and doing nothing is a non sense for me. Smile )
Urbanbunny
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Jeu Fév 12, 2015 11:28 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Having played a couple of games in a mini comp, the difference between a win and a draw is significant.

If you were in a comp, you couldn't rely on going for the draw like I've seen many players go for.

ADLG rewards the winner if you use the french comp scoring
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Fév 13, 2015 4:10 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
tiens, le post parle pas de collines...

Clearly, ADG is not for reluctant players, doing a new fort alamo is not a effective tactic, particulary again shooters
But, as usual, you can alway blaming the dice!
See you at Oxford?
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Mar 09, 2015 2:14 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Urbanbunny a écrit:

ADLG rewards the winner if you use the french comp scoring

Viva l'France. I despised the cynical "reigate" scoring method of if you can't win you dawdle until you can knick a few points as time is called.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Avr 21, 2015 5:31 pm    Sujet du message: Re: Hills & Dull games Répondre en citant
stuuk a écrit:
This doesn't apply just to ADG - it could apply equally to FoG / DMB / etc.
The basic point of my post was that hills can make for dull games because people then tend to stand on them, gaining +1 across the whole line.

So I recently have had a few games where this could have come up.

In one case I had Janissaries sitting uphill of armored heavy spear. The Spear were clearly going to come up the hill and attack the Janissaries. Probably with success. The critical factor for both sides was a combination of who had a longer and how disruptive was the firepower on the spear. What unfolded was both sides feeding more units into the area to ensure control of the flanks or the longer line etc.

In another game between two mounted forces the same thing happened. The hill created a pause and forced both sides to feed more into the area to create or maintain an advantage.

I think the difference of a hill in ADLG is much more mitigated by its size and the ability to get counter-vailing modifiers compared to the other games you cite. In FOG a POA is a much more massive difference than merely have two extra bases for dice. In DBM the quick kill mechanism meant a higher risk factor.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: