Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Evading over a Rough River
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
IanS
Barbare

MessagePosté le: Jeu Mar 14, 2024 5:49 pm    Sujet du message: Evading over a Rough River Répondre en citant
We had something come up that we really can't seem to agree the result. I placed a river on the table and the result of the dice was rough going with the additional normal rule that you can only cross rivers by being perpendicular to the river.

One of my javelin units was charged and I elected to evade. After 2 UD evade I encountered the river at a 45 degree angle, what do I do?

We came up with three answers but could not decide on one:

1. I wheel 45 degree so I am perpendicular to the river and continue my evade. However, rules state that evades must be in straight line as the charge can't now make contact.
2. I Slide to avoid the river and continue my evade even though I will then hit the river again in another 1 UD
3. The river is considered impassable because of the angle and I stop moving

Which one should be applied? OR is there something we have missed?
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Adresse AIM
Mark G Fry
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Jeu Mar 14, 2024 8:23 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
IanS a écrit:
We had something come up that we really can't seem to agree the result. I placed a river on the table and the result of the dice was rough going with the additional normal rule that you can only cross rivers by being perpendicular to the river.

One of my javelin units was charged and I elected to evade. After 2 UD evade I encountered the river at a 45 degree angle, what do I do?

We came up with three answers but could not decide on one:

1. I wheel 45 degree so I am perpendicular to the river and continue my evade. However, rules state that evades must be in straight line as the charge can't now make contact.
2. I Slide to avoid the river and continue my evade even though I will then hit the river again in another 1 UD
3. The river is considered impassable because of the angle and I stop moving

Which one should be applied? OR is there something we have missed?

Surely, what the river is classified as will influence what you can do. In the same way as other terrain.

If it is classified as Difficult, and you have already moved 2 UDs (out of your 3 UD evade) you'll have to stop. As you would with other Difficult terrain (as the terrain will deduct 1 UD from your move) and you don't have enough move left to make the crossing.

As your River was classified as Rough - and I am assuming that your Javelin unit is a 'Javelinmen' (rather than a Light Foot with javelin - which could turn/wheel for free) you would need to deduct the wheel (to get your unit to be parallel to the riverbank) from the Javelinmen's move - that then wont leave you enough of a move left to get you across the River, so you must stop on the bank, as that is as far as you can get.

I also thought there was some provision in the rules (somewhere) about evading that allowed you to move/slide to avoid things like Impassable terrain, and that might allow you some maneuver to align either with the river bank or turn to continue the evade along that side of the river as you dont have enough move to cross it? Although that seems a bit tenuous.

That would be my (humble) suggestions.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Neep
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Jeu Mar 14, 2024 8:53 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
There are two likely possibilities.

Handle it like an obstacle. Impassible terrain or difficult terrain for LCh is an obstacle which must be skirted by sliding or wheeling. So perhaps a river at an angle is also an obstacle.

Handle it like interpenetration. It didn't make the errata, but somewhere here is a discussion about whether when evading one can refuse to wheel to align for interpenetration . The consensus was no, one must wheel and interpenetrate. So perhaps one must wheel flush with the river and proceed.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Mar 14, 2024 10:16 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
It is #1

you wheel. see p 48 lower right corner last paragraph.
See also diagram p49
Neep
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Ven Mar 15, 2024 3:10 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
If that is the case, you are avoiding rough terrain you could enter (with a small wheel flush to the river bank).
This does bring up the unanswered question about the second bullet at the top of page 48.
If you cannot avoid rough or difficult terrain within 1UD of the start of your evade move, does this imply you CAN avoid it beyond 1 UD?
Dickstick
Légat

MessagePosté le: Ven Mar 15, 2024 8:14 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
P48 runs through Evade Move.
Go over the page to the third bullet point.
Read it all and wheeling is the way out of your 'problem '
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Mar 16, 2024 1:06 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Agreed Hazelbark and Dickstick, the evade may slide then wheel to avoid the obstacle.

I suggest that if the angle were closer to perpendicular to the river, the evaders would instead have the option to wheel and cross it (with movement reduction).  

Finally, if the river is within 1UD of the evading unit, according to p48 it may not slide, so instead it must wheel a then enter the river. 
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Mar 16, 2024 9:34 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ramses II a écrit:
Agreed Hazelbark and Dickstick, the evade may slide then wheel to avoid the obstacle.

I suggest that if the angle were closer to perpendicular to the river, the evaders would instead have the option to wheel and cross it (with movement reduction).  

Finally, if the river is within 1UD of the evading unit, according to p48 it may not slide, so instead it must wheel a then enter the river. 

We all agree and this is what the rules actual say, win-win.
IanS
Barbare

MessagePosté le: Dim Mar 17, 2024 2:47 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thanks for the suggestions. Might not happen for another few years but at least I know what to do now.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Adresse AIM
Neep
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Dim Mar 17, 2024 3:34 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
The river is an obstacle at any angle other than the perpendicular. You must wheel to avoid obstacles. You can wheel flush with the river and enter, or parallel with the river and flee along the bank. There is also a provision that your evade route must maintain the original direction as much as possible. So it would seem that if within 45 degrees of perpendicular you must enter the water, and beyond you must turn and follow the banks.

This is a rare event that requires no more than an arbitrary answer. Nonetheless it should be consistent with encountering a friendly unit you can interpenetrate at a flush angle. It's really the same question - the friendly unit is an obstacle as it stands, but one that can be avoided either by wheeling away or wheeling flush and interpenetrating. So should the 45 degree measure apply here too?

(There was an earlier discussion here or on the FB page that concluded you MUST wheel flush and interpenetrate friends if you encounter them on the evade path.)

Note 1. Well of course you must wheel or slide to avoid an obstacle. Since a slide maintains your direction, it would be preferred whatever angle you approach, provided it gets you clear.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: