Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Shooting from terrain
Page 1 sur 2 Aller à la page 1, 2  Suivante
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
Neep
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Sam Nov 11, 2023 3:49 pm    Sujet du message: Shooting from terrain Répondre en citant
A simple and fundamental question: Does the second bullet on page 70 apply only to cover - and therefore only to Plantation? Or does it apply to difficult terrain as well?

Consider bowmen with their back edge in Woods, or on a Steep Hill, or on a Wooded Steep Hill.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Sam Nov 11, 2023 4:25 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I really think people are making this harder than it needs to be. But to be fair there is a slightly confusing aspect.

The second bullet on page 70 is inclusive of all forms of cover. So it makes a shooting unit take a -1 if the shooting unit is in cover and defines cover. This is the general case regarding cover and applies to Plantation, and Village and Woods.

There is a second cause for a unit to take a -1. That cause is if the shooter is in difficult terrain. If the shooter is in difficult terrain then the shooter take a -1 regardless of the position of the front edge. See page 72 under woods and village, page 71 under steep hills and so on.

The unfortunate thing is that the same language is used for plantations on page 71. "shoots from a plantation does so with a penalty of -1" However page 70 makes it clear what is necessary to receive the shooting malus for cover - front edge in the terrain providing cover.

So in practice the second bullet on page 70 only affects Plantations. As woods, steep hills, marsh village, sand dunes and the like have a more encompassing reason to take a -1
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 14, 2023 11:28 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Steve, I'm not fully convinced. Let's look at the rules about cover as a whole:

Page 57 Line of sight:
Citation:
To shoot a unit must be able to see its target. A unit cannot shoot an enemy unit it cannot see, such as:
    • Units in ambush
    • Units hidden behind terrain or behind another friendly or enemy unit
    • Units out of line of sight

To have a valid line of sight a unit must be able to trace two straight lines between the two corners of the shooting edge and a single point on one edge of the target's base. These lines must not be blocked by terrain or other friendly or enemy units.

Page 58 Circumstance table:
Citation:

[1] LI or LH shooting -1
[2] Target in cover or behind a fortification -1
[3] Shooter is disordered -1
[4] Shooting from cover or from difficult terrain except if shooter is LI -1

Page 70 Cover from shooting
Citation:
Terrain can provide cover, but also penalises units when shooting. For example trees can stop or deflect missiles (see p 72)
• A target unit benefits from cover if the line of sight of the shooter passes through the terrain.
• A unit, except LI, is penalised when shooting if part of its shooting edge is insde terrain that gives cover.
• A unit located just on the edge of terrainis considered to be inside the terrain: it gains protection from cover, but suffers a shooting penalty.

Pages 71 & 72 Terrain descriptions
Citation:
Plantations, Woods, Marsh, Sand Dunes and Village all state "A unit except LI shooting from [them] does so with a penalty of -1.

Plantations, Woods and Village also state separately they "offer cover to all units"

I'm ignoring the effect of Sand Dunes on camels Razz

So, there are two cumulative penalties relating to cover. The penalty for shooting at a target that is in cover (described as a benefit to the target in the rules, but shown as a penalty on the shooter in the table) and the penalty for shooting from cover, from which LI are exempt.

Question 1

A (non LI) shooter's rear half is in a marsh. Does it take the penalty for shooting from difficult terrain?

I assume it does, just as it would if in melee.

The same applies for a wood, but:

Question 2

A (non LI) shooter's rear half is in a plantation. Does it take the penalty for shooting from cover?

This is trickier. I'd say by analogy with question 1 it is affected by the terrain so takes the penalty. Also, the example given on page 70 suggests that the latter part of the unit can be affected by trees, etc deflecting missiles.

However, BP2 on page 70 raises a question:

Question 3

Why is it necessary to state that a (non LI) unit with part of its shooting edge in terrain that gives cover is penalised for shooting?

If this is about cover, then it's redundant as it's already clear from BP1 that the target gets cover.

I agree, it's more likely saying that the shooter's penalty for shooting from cover (in the case above, a plantaion) only applies if part (or all, obviously) of the shooting edge is in the cover. But I'd welcome a ruling either way.

Question 4

LI in open terrain is shooting at a unit in a wood. Does it take the -1 for target in cover?

I think it does because the 2nd line on the circumstance chart doesn't exempt LI. However, I've had members of the DT insist otherwise.

Dave
Neep
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 14, 2023 6:28 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I'm not making sense. The issue remains why is bullet 2 talking about shooting edge unless there is something special about it??

Dernière édition par Neep le Mar Nov 14, 2023 11:42 pm; édité 1 fois
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 14, 2023 6:46 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Good point. That's why we need a ruling rather than trying to tease out what the intent of the writer was as in the days of WRG.

Dave
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 14, 2023 7:17 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
1° YES
2° YES
3° Why not
4) Yes
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 14, 2023 10:06 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hi Lionel,

I am not sure I agree with you on question 2.

The unit is not shooting from difficult terrain. So it does not take a -1 for that

The unit does not have it's shooting edge in cover so it is not penalized for that reason. Page 70 and page 58.

Other than that I appreciate your weighing in.
Mark G Fry
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 15, 2023 12:55 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Surely this all raises a bigger issue about 'Cover' - that was also discussed in some depth in a previous (recent) thread.

Logically a unit is either in-cover or it isn't. This front edge in or out bit is unnecessarily confusing.

In a game that happened at the weekend (at Warfare) we had an instance where, because of the irregular shapes of two woods that were deployed end to end, a unit of LI was left 'straddling' the gap between the two woods. So its front edge was in at one end, out in the middle and in again at the other end. When it was shot at was it in or out? The enemy Bowmen shooting at it were historically perfectly capable of claiming that they were just targeting the bit of the front edge that was out of the terrain. In the end my opponent & I agreed that it was in cover as the majority of its base (2/3rds) was in the wood - but it was all a bit daft TBF as part of the unit was clearly out of cover.

Personally, I'd argue that "if any part of the front base edge of a unit is outside a terrain piece, then the whole unit is out - for shooting and melee purposes" - that would avoid any rulings being required and would make it all so much clean and clearer.
Of course it would also solve the issue had the Bowmen in the example above charged the LI - as the LI were deemed to have been in the open (as part of their base was out of the terrain) so they'd have had to evade the charge anyway. But had the target LI been MF and the MF had stood to take the charge you'd have ended up with both Bowmen and the MF fighting in the open - as part of each units front edge was out of the terrain. It also solves all these issues of units not conforming as part of their target is in terrain that disadvantages them.

But that is just a suggestion - not an answer to the challenges above. However, this is all getting very 'Kafkaesque' Laughing

NB: I have always been told and subsequently played it that LI can shoot unpenalized from all terrain - which does make a lot of sense.

Hey ho Very Happy
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Ven Nov 17, 2023 9:53 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Mark,

I appreciate the frustration with rules that seem illogical. In my first ever ancients game (WRG 4th edition iirc) I had a unit of 60 Persian archers (seemed like a good idea at the time) attacked on the left flank. It felt ridiculous that this would immediately cause disorder nearl 200 yards away on the right flank, but them was the rules.

As long as the shooters could draw two lines from the corners of the shooting edge to a single point on the LI without either passing through the woods that's fine. It kind of makes sense that they'd shoot at the target they could see. It might be a bit harsh that the supporting fire still counts as full effect even if through cover, but them's the rules.

As for the other effects of terrain, I remember some of the WRG nightmare terrain rules and these are much better. What we really want from these rules is consistency and clarity that allows us to get on with the serious business of being lucky without having to think too hard.

Dave
Mark G Fry
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Sam Nov 18, 2023 9:08 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
daveallen a écrit:
Mark,

I appreciate the frustration with rules that seem illogical. In my first ever ancients game (WRG 4th edition iirc) I had a unit of 60 Persian archers (seemed like a good idea at the time) attacked on the left flank. It felt ridiculous that this would immediately cause disorder nearl 200 yards away on the right flank, but them was the rules.

As long as the shooters could draw two lines from the corners of the shooting edge to a single point on the LI without either passing through the woods that's fine. It kind of makes sense that they'd shoot at the target they could see. It might be a bit harsh that the supporting fire still counts as full effect even if through cover, but them's the rules.

As for the other effects of terrain, I remember some of the WRG nightmare terrain rules and these are much better. What we really want from these rules is consistency and clarity that allows us to get on with the serious business of being lucky without having to think too hard.

Dave

I totally agree Dave - 'Rulez iz Rulez' as I was always told.
I suppose the challenge comes where a 'rule' is seen to be at odds with the general fundamental principles of all the other rules principles or produces an odd effect that can be capitalized upon in a way that is unfair.

My point above was mearly to try and point out that often a brief clarification to a rule can make it work as intended and avoid confusion Very Happy
Andy Fyfe
Frondeur

MessagePosté le: Mar Avr 23, 2024 3:51 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I take it there was never a ruling about this?

I would have thought it would be easier to say:

"If the unit receives a cover bonus when targeted by shooting then it receives a shooting penalty when it shoots unless it is LI"
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Avr 23, 2024 4:24 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
the latest FAQ
Shooting from cover (page 58-59) A unit that shoots from behind a fortification does not suffer a shooting penalty.

Is there a question that is unresolved for you? I will resolve it. Happy to serve.
Neep
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Mer Avr 24, 2024 3:26 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Let me rephrase the OP question.

Bowmen have their back half in a Plantation. Plantation is cover. It is not difficult terrain. The rules (page 70) are quite clear that it does not suffer the -1.

Bowmen have their back half on a Steep Hill, or in a Wooded Steep Hill, or Marsh, or Dunes. They will suffer the -1 if they are "in" the terrain. By analogy with melee, they would be "in" and so suffer the penalty. [Added] If they are "in" only if the shooting edge is "in" - as analogous to cover - then they do not suffer the penalty.

Bowmen have their back half in a Village or Woods. These are both cover and difficult. Do they suffer the penalty?

Do we have a quirky and obscure exception for Plantations? do we have a more limited interpretation of "in" for Shooting as opposed to Melee? do we have a Frankenstein resolution?

Dernière édition par Neep le Ven Avr 26, 2024 10:15 pm; édité 2 fois
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Avr 24, 2024 5:39 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Neep a écrit:

Bowmen have their back half in a Village or Woods. These are both cover and difficult. Do they suffer the penalty?

Do we have a quirky and obscure exception for Plantations, which only show up in Plain and Desert (AITAH if I point out orchards are often planted on slopes?-)? do we have a different interpretation of "in" for Shooting as opposed to Melee? do we have a Frankenstein resolution?

How would they not in village or woods?

Plantations are not quirky or obscure. They are common and can be on slopes. So no Frankenstein.
Neep
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Mer Avr 24, 2024 6:23 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Because the rule on page 70 refers to the shooting edge of the shooters vis-à-vis cover. If it extends to difficult terrain, then we have an answer - I probably should have put that possibility in the rephrasing.

Good point about plants on hills, though I assume you must have access to the specific type of vegetation in the region?

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 2 Aller à la page 1, 2  Suivante
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: