Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Ghargin an evader between two enemy units.
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Question sur la règle V4
Auteur Message
harryKonst
Archer

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 21, 2023 7:46 am    Sujet du message: Ghargin an evader between two enemy units. Répondre en citant
A unit A counts as a simple support for two friendly units B and C (left and right of it).The B and C are already in melee with one enemy unit each, and A in the middle is a simple support. Another unit D who is enemy to A,B,C declares a charge on A, but A is an evader and evades.What happens to D then? Does it have to throw 1D6 to adjust its movement? The evader might ended its movement at a distance that could be caught by the charger, if he was allowed to enter the one unit gap between the enemies, slide along their flank edges and contact the evader. But is this possible according the rules? And if the answer is YES, does it make any difference whether the charger is a impetuous unit (lets say a Knight, or a Cavalry), or not?
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 21, 2023 6:57 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
A complex question, so a complex answer. 

D charges A, so must be some distance behind his friends which are already in melee with B and C. We are also assuming that that D’s charge is perpendicular to the line of units in melee. 

So the process goes as follows 
  1. D declares a charge on A, which evades (throwing for an adjusted move).
  2. Because ‘all the targets’ have evaded, BPT 6 (P43) kicks in. D throws an adjusted move (moving at least its minimum distance) but may choose to stop earlier in Simple support when it comes into contact with B and C. 
  3. Because B and C are both in melee, D may continue to move through the gap between these units and on into contact with the evading A, assuming it has sufficient movement allowance.  (See  Sliding along the enemy P41 1st BPT, and first example.)
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 21, 2023 7:47 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ramses II a écrit:
A complex question, so a complex answer. 
[*]Because B and C are both in melee, D may continue to move through the gap between these units and on into contact with the evading A, assuming it has sufficient movement allowance.  (See  Sliding along the enemy P41 1st BPT, and first example.)[/list]

Curious where the option to continue comes from. See pg43,section 6, “if all initial targets evadeâ€. The last bullet point says that in all cases the charge stops on meeting an enemy. So to me that reads no choice to continue beyond the first contact line where it meets B and C.
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 22, 2023 1:08 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Understood Mike. 

Normally a unit has to stop when it contacts an enemy, even by a corner (Contacting an enemy p41). So if a group of two units charge and contact a single enemy unit, they both have to stop.

However, if one unit charges and conforms, and then a second charge is declared, this unit may “slide along†the first enemy unit because it is now in melee. This is the position in the first bullet and in the diagram beneath (A2 charging B2).
harryKonst
Archer

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 22, 2023 7:25 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
So, Ramses II, as I understand by your reply, if the charger is impetuous he has either to stop at FIRST point of contact with enemy, or move the whole move, enter the gap and finish on the other side even if he doesn't catch the evader, and if he is non-impetuous can stop wherever he likes after he has moved at least 2 UD, or stop at ANY point of contact with enemy.Correct? (Because I'm thinking the possibility that, an impetuous charger, IF he can't catch the target, HAS to stop at first point of contact with the other enemy, so not entering the gap, but he can ONLY enter the gap in case of contacting the charger. Let me know on that detail)
By the way, Mike Bennett is right for asking about bullet 7 on paragraph 6 of page 43. That sentence about stopping upon meeting an enemy unit in all cases, is confusing as written (maybe the phrase 'in all cases' is redundant). It needs some more explanation about the ability of sliding along enemy edges during a charge even against an evader (although, to be honest, the text refers to page 41, and that's why I started searching the rule in the first place).Thank you for the reply.
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 22, 2023 11:05 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I agree with you that P43 is not entirely clear in that respect.  If the charger is regular it may stop at the minimum distance, in simple support or slide past B and C (which are both in melee) stopping at any point up to its adjusted movement allowance.

If the charger is impetuous, it is not entirely under the players control and may not behave exactly as intended. Therefore, I suggest that it has to stop when it makes contact, staying in the gap in simple support, but I am not entirely sure on this. 

I base this suggestion on the impetuous unit making an uncontrolled charge P45. Resolution of an uncontrolled charges 6th bpt says
Citation:
 Units making an uncontrolled charge must continue their charge up to their full adjusted movement allowance. They stop as soon as they are in melee with an enemy or in position to support a friendly unit in melee.
harryKonst
Archer

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 22, 2023 8:33 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Whatever the DT will decide on that matter is acceptable. I just make a suggestion for some thought. The impetuous Knights that make a charge under order, those who charge not uncontrolled but by paying at least 1 CP, shouldn't behave much differently from the non-impetuous on the aspect of effectiveness on the battleground. Yes, they will enter a whole UD if they destroy the enemy, yes they will advance full move when charging, but they should be the same dangerous for the enemy as the regulars. If they (the regulars) can enter a gap and contact the enemy on the other side, they should also be able to do it. At he end of the day, an evader behind a one unit gap shouldn't be 100% safe when is charged by impetuous enemies but not safe when they are non-impetuous. Of course I might be wrong, in any case the final decision belongs to the DT.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Question sur la règle V4
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: