Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Uncontrolled Charge exception
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 14, 2023 10:25 pm    Sujet du message: Uncontrolled Charge exception Répondre en citant
Unit A is impetuous Medium Sword facing down

Unit 1 is Light Infantry

Unit 2 is Heavy Chariot

Units 1 and 2 are on the same side opposed by unit A, and facing up. 1 and A are aligned It is in the open and they are, say, 2 UD apart.

A

If unit A declares a charge and the LI evade, as they are required to do, then unit A will contact the Hch corner to corner and be forced to conform into melee.

Accordingly, although the exact letter of the rules on page 46 would say the MSW is subject to an uncontrolled charge, I think they are in fact excepted from this by the spirit of the note and colored box example on page 46.

Am I wrong?
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 15, 2023 1:02 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Impetuous foot will not make an uncontrolled charge into mounted.

So the MSw do not go uncontrolled.
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 15, 2023 5:28 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Does the “Note†on p 46 cover this? By behind do they mean any troops who would be contacted if the target evades?

The LI can evade; does having the mounted uncovered by the evade cover this?

What about if the LI was instead LMI javelins. It “can evadeâ€, so it would seem the Impetuous Swordsmen need not charge them either.
SteveR
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 15, 2023 5:43 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thanks Dan,

Kevin, I should have been more specific in my question and included this. The note on page 46 says that units or terrain BEHIND the target must be considered. But the HCH unit is not behind the LI, it is beside it.

Seemed pretty silly to say if the Msw will end up fighting the Hch they still need to go.

And I agree with you - about Javelinmen.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 15, 2023 1:31 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
KevinD a écrit:
Does the “Note†on p 46 cover this? By behind do they mean any troops who would be contacted if the target evades?

The LI can evade; does having the mounted uncovered by the evade cover this?

What about if the LI was instead LMI javelins. It “can evadeâ€, so it would seem the Impetuous Swordsmen need not charge them either.

"can evade" is absolutely clear. Does evade is not the rule. So yes LMI can evade.
KevinD
Légat

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 15, 2023 5:22 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thanks, Dan.

The rule on p 46 says “If the target of an uncontrolled charge can evade, any other unit or terrain BEHIND the target unit….â€

Do they literally have to be behind or just any unit that would be engaged if the target evades?

Are the chariots “Behind†as the rules say, or as they are beside they just end up being a subsequent charge target even though they are an exception on p 46?

Is “behind the target unit†really just “uncovered by the target unit evading�
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 15, 2023 6:13 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Without getting into a legalism...the intent is probably what you are calling uncovered.

Remember the philosophy of ADLG is not to endorse ******* crazy interpretations a la some other rules. The intent is clear.

The intent is a foot unit should be able to take into account Mounted, all elephant, etc. That if the charge goes forward and the unit that could evade does, then the note takes effect.

It would be unsportsmanlike and contrary to the laws of the solar system that an LI next to a EL can provoke an uncontrolled impetuous charge that will strike the EL corner (after the evader evades) and the charger then conforms to its front.

I do not think it is wise to debate all the imaginations of behind vs uncovered the intent is clear because there are so many permutation. Enjoy the game.
Neep
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 15, 2023 9:23 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I have my reservations about "philosophy", but agree this level of imprecision is trifling. Consider Javelinmen in front of Javelinmen in front of El. Does the impetuous unit have to charge? Of course not, it could end up charging the El, so no.
Zoltan
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Jeu Nov 16, 2023 1:56 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
SteveR a écrit:
If unit A declares a charge and the LI evade, as they are required to do, then unit A will contact the Hch corner to corner and be forced to conform into melee.

If the impetuous LMI would hit the front corner of the HCh then that is clearly a front edge contact (P.41). Accordingly, the LMI is explicitly exempted from the uncontrolled charge rules by p.46 bullet 8. I don't see why any consideration of the P.46 Note, or nuanced discussion about fresh targets being behind initial targets evading, is required in this OP scenario.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: