Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Conformance to Multiple Attack
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
Neep
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Lun Mai 15, 2023 10:37 pm    Sujet du message: Conformance to Multiple Attack Répondre en citant
If a unit is attacked more than one flank/rear edge, but not its front edge, and survives, may it conform to any attacker, or just the main unit?
May it partially conform? I.e. it has a non-square base and is attacked flank and rear - may it conform to the flank attacker even though it will be a partial confomance?
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Mai 16, 2023 12:57 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Conforming units in melee (P52) does not stipulate which way the ‘target’ unit must conform, so I suggest it is the choice of the defender.

And in the case of a rectangular based unit, adjust the positions accordingly with the least impact on the rest of the battlefield. 
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Mar Juin 06, 2023 11:33 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hi Gavin,

I think the rules do stipulate which unit is conformed to:

Citation:
Page 52, Conforming Units in Melee, para. 2

Units that have an enemy in melee on their flank or rear must turn to conform during their own movement phase unless they are already in melee with another unit on their front edge.

Page 60, Main unit, b.p.3

If the enemy is contacted only on its flank and/or rear, the main unit is the first one to contact.

Melee
A unit is in melee when it is the main unit in a combat. The other units participating in a combat are in support

It seems to me the unit must conform to the unit it fought in the previous bound and not to the melee support unit.

Dave
Neep
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Mar Juin 06, 2023 3:08 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Problem is, no one is in combat at this moment, and moves by the player can change who will be in combat with whom. I see worms.
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Mar Juin 06, 2023 4:38 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
If you're seeing worms I strongly recommend visit to the optician.

Meanwhile, the question you asked was:

Citation:
If a unit is attacked more than one flank/rear edge, but not its front edge, and survives, may it conform to any attacker, or just the main unit?

That initial combat continues in the next bound and the unit conforms on the main attacking unit. There is no mystical gap in which no-one is in combat.
Neep
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Mar Juin 06, 2023 5:48 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hmm. Dave I was concerned if blue moves unit 2 to contact the flank of red main unit A. But I suppose blue unit 1 could still conform to red A, leaving blue 2 and red B supporting the combat. So your analysis stands.
Conforming to incomplete conformance is requited to be as soon as possible. Perhaps conforms to flank/rear should be similarly required.
Still leaves Gavin's advice on shifting oblong units about.

If you improbably get attacked on all 3 flank/rear sides, and rout the main unit, I guess you deserve to choose your subsequent opponent! Very Happy
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Mar Juin 06, 2023 6:14 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
The question you asked was about a single unit being contacted by two enemy units. Mention of a fourth unit on either side only serves to muddy the water of what is a straightforward procedure (conformation) under the rules.

Dave
Neep
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Mer Juin 07, 2023 1:48 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Dave, I was pointing out that your solution holds even if you do add a 4th (5th, 6th, 7th...) unit.
If the main unit (= "in melee") is present, you must by rule conform to it.
If not then by rule...well there is no rule that covers it, but obviously you must conform to one of them.

Never quite sure of intent.
Mark G Fry
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Jeu Juin 08, 2023 8:40 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I think that this question has been resolved/answered previously in another post.

It was agreed that the first enemy unit to make contact in this situation is the 'primary' unit and the attacked unit must confirm to that.

Cheers
Mark

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: