Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Sliding along enemy edge to provide simple support
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
ecnomus
Barbare

MessagePosté le: Mar Jan 17, 2023 9:16 am    Sujet du message: Sliding along enemy edge to provide simple support Répondre en citant
Hi, I am a spanish player. Several players have questions to clarify about the topic Sliding along enemy edge.

I believe our traduction is not so good about this theme. In page 41 "Sliding along enemy edge" bullet 1 our spanish rule is quite confuse.

We need to know if a unit B can do a manoeuvre movement along the side of an enemy 1 when this enemy is in combat to his front (with other unit A) . And if this movement can be done to end it in a position of simple support (side by side) against this enemy unit 1.

We must suppose for clarification that the unit B that makes the move is not already in simple support position at the beginning of its move, but far away from this previous combat. Also, there not ZOCs present in this example.

The main question is to know if the unit B that move to a simple support position must stop at corner to corner contact with the enemy 1 already in combat (in order to provide support) or if unit B can continue its manoeuvre to a further position side to side against 1 for simple support (and therefore ready for a flanc attack next turn). In this second case unit B is doing a move sliding along the enemy edge...

Excuse for my english and thanks in advance.
Zoltan
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Mar Jan 17, 2023 11:20 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Well I can tell you my experience of this when I played El Kreator in a friendly game in Lyon last August.

My unit charged his unit and conformed - they were both now in frontal contact.

I had a second unit that I wanted to move past the enemy’s front edge so that it would be able to turn onto the enemy’s flank in my next move, but still be in simple support this move.

Hervé made the point that my second unit would stop as soon as it made corner to corner contact with the enemy unit (already in melee), and it could NOT slide along the enemy’s side edge.

In order to position my second unit behind the enemy’s front edge AND in side edge to side edge contact, I had to advance my second unit so that it did not touch the enemy unit until it was past the enemy’s front edge. Then my second unit could slide sideways to make side to side contact and provide simple support in the melee.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Jan 17, 2023 12:38 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Zoltan a écrit:
Well I can tell you my experience of this when I played El Kreator in a friendly game in Lyon last August.

My unit charged his unit and conformed - they were both now in frontal contact.

I had a second unit that I wanted to move past the enemy’s front edge so that it would be able to turn onto the enemy’s flank in my next move, but still be in simple support this move.

Hervé made the point that my second unit would stop as soon as it made corner to corner contact with the enemy unit (already in melee), and it could NOT slide along the enemy’s side edge.

In order to position my second unit behind the enemy’s front edge AND in side edge to side edge contact, I had to advance my second unit so that it did not touch the enemy unit until it was past the enemy’s front edge. Then my second unit could slide sideways to make side to side contact and provide simple support in the melee.

El Kreator was wrong. If the move is paid (not furiouis charge) you don't need stop corner to corner, and you may slide along as far as your move capacity allow it if you provide support. The exeception is if you touch 2 ennemies by your 2 front corners, with a hole facing you. You then may stop to provide support or conform

sliding along the ennemyP41 1st bullet:
the ennemy unit is already in melee and the sliding unit is charging , purssuing or is providing support.
Nothing about corner to corner restriction.
ecnomus
Barbare

MessagePosté le: Mar Jan 17, 2023 12:48 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
lionelrus a écrit:

El Kreator was wrong. If the move is paid (not furiouis charge) you don't need stop corner to corner, and you may slide along as far as your move capacity allow it. The exeception is if you touch 2 ennemies by your 2 front corners, with a hole facing you. You then may stop to provide support or conform

Maybe you mean "uncontrolled charge" or "spontaneous charge"?

About the exception, if you touch two front corners (of two enemy units), but these 2 enemy units are in combat to their front... still applies this exception?
Or you can move your unit deep inside both enemy sides to a better simple support position (so next turn you could attack on flanks).

Thanks
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Jan 17, 2023 7:24 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
ecnomus a écrit:
lionelrus a écrit:

El Kreator was wrong. If the move is paid (not furiouis charge) you don't need stop corner to corner, and you may slide along as far as your move capacity allow it. The exeception is if you touch 2 ennemies by your 2 front corners, with a hole facing you. You then may stop to provide support or conform

Maybe you mean "uncontrolled charge" or "spontaneous charge"?

About the exception, if you touch two front corners (of two enemy units), but these 2 enemy units are in combat to their front... still applies this exception?
Or you can move your unit deep inside both enemy sides to a better simple support position (so next turn you could attack on flanks).

Thanks

Uncontroled charge may ending with providing support, it's never occurs with spontaneous charge, except by contacting the flank of ennemy but it's not the special case we're talking about.
If these two ennemies are in front contact, eception doesn't applies.

The rule says if ennemy or ennemies are in contact with their front you may slide along their flank . AND THAT'S ALL!
Zoltan
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Mar Jan 17, 2023 8:04 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
ecnomus a écrit:
Maybe you mean "uncontrolled charge"......"?

Yes, Lionel clearly means "uncontrolled charge". P.45, right column, fifth bullet point clearly states that a unit making an uncontrolled charge into a simple support position will always stop on the first point of contact with the enemy (usually a front corner) and therefore can never slide along the enemy's side edge in this scenario.
Neep
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Mar Jan 17, 2023 8:44 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
My understanding is that it is always two actions. The first action to put the enemy in melee, and the second to slide past the edge. You cannot do this in one action. For excample, make a group charge, put the enemy in melee with one unit, and slide the adjacent unit forward. It must stop at the front corner.
And starting in contact implies there was so past action that put you there, so now you can slide again (but muust leave contact)

There is an older post with similar quesitons that could use another look. I'll try to dig it up.
ecnomus
Barbare

MessagePosté le: Mar Jan 17, 2023 9:46 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thank you very much.

It is clear for me now.
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Jan 17, 2023 10:16 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Neep a écrit:
My understanding is that it is always two actions. The first action to put the enemy in melee, and the second to slide past the edge. You cannot do this in one action. For excample, make a group charge, put the enemy in melee with one unit, and slide the adjacent unit forward. It must stop at the front corner.
And starting in contact implies there was so past action that put you there, so now you can slide again (but muust leave contact)

There is an older post with similar quesitons that could use another look. I'll try to dig it up.

It's exactly that. With a group charge, the supporting unit must stay corner to corner, providing support.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: