Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Citadel Contrast Paints - Experience and advice
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Miniatures and painting
Auteur Message
kevinj
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mar Jan 05, 2021 11:57 am    Sujet du message: Citadel Contrast Paints - Experience and advice Répondre en citant
I've seen a number of posts where people have mentioned using these and so I'd like to find out what people think of them and hopefully share some experiences, tips and recommendations.

I've tried a number of them myself with mixed results. I've tried a variety of base colours but have settled on white to give the maximum contrast effect.

These are the ones I regard as most successful:

Basilicanum Grey - A mid-grey with dark, almost black, shading in the recesses.
Snakebite Leather - Produces a good leather brown effect with darker shades.
Gore Grunta Fur - A mid brown.
Cygor Brown - A darker brown.
Blood Angels Red - Good for red clothing.
All of these seem to produce the desired effect with shading appearing in recesses in a single coat.

These ones I've found less effective:
Black Templar
Shyish Purple
Dark Angels Green
Leviadon Blue
All of these don't seem to produce noticable shading but they are all dark colours to start with. I did deliberately select these after seeing a number of early examples which looked wuite pale and washed out.

So:

What colours have you tried and with what level of success?

Any recommendations for specific uses?

Any tips for getting a better result with my less successful ones?

Specifically, has anyone tried any of the Flesh tones and how do they turn out?
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Jan 06, 2021 9:55 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I like Black Templar on a white base for black-clad troops, gives a bit of depth to their clothing that plain black doesnt really do.

Talassar Blue is a fantastic colour, really bold and vibrant
Warp Lightning is almost a bit too bold a green for clothing
Magos purple is nice but a little on the thin side. may need 2 coats
Aethermatic blue is another nice paint, really a very thin turquoise colour
Gryph-hound Orange is decent orange
Iyanden Yellow just about works as a yellow,
Nazdreg Yellow is quite muddy, but can give really deep cut casts some real depth, the 'muck' sinks into the crevices of the model leaving the highlights actual yellow
Ultramarines Blue is "OK" but not as vibrant as Talassar
Creed Cammo is a bit brighter than the 'cammo' word might suggest
Blood Angels Red is so thick its almost like using a normal paint on the figures I used it on
Akehelion Green is actually a rather unusual blue IMO
Mars
Barbare

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 24, 2021 1:44 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I also find some better than others. For horses I think they are excellent. I use mainly Gore Grunta Fur, Wyldwood, Snake Bite Leather, Black Templar and Basillicanum Grey. Aggaros Dunes is also a great colour for camels.

For clothing I find the more vibrant colours are the best as mentioned by Madaxeman above. I'm not keen on the red at all, whatever base colour I've tried Blood Angels red on it just looks insipid to me and if you try and add a second coat it's just too dark. I find the Creed Camo and Leviadon Blue the same. For producing a rich red colour for things like Roman tunics and ancients cloaks etc I prefer regular paint, Blood Angels Red does work quite well on that as a wash though.

The Black Templar I do like for black clad (more so robed than anything tighter fitting) but depending on the depth of the cuts it might need thinning a bit. The Absolute worst IMO is Apothecary White. Useless IMO though it might just work a bit better on 28mm.
borkil63
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 24, 2021 8:48 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hello, first of all, please excuse my bad English, but I can't find a similar post in French. I tried the contrast on 28mm, and I find that it works very well on large pieces. But is the result suitable on 15mm?
thank you

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Miniatures and painting
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: