Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
representation conventions
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Miniatures and painting
Auteur Message
Za Otlichiye
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Jeu Sep 09, 2021 3:41 pm    Sujet du message: representation conventions Répondre en citant
Thinking about getting started...

Light, medium, and heavy infantry is (or can be) distinguished by base depth. But medium and heavy cavalry, and cavalry vs. knights is not. And the sculpting of available figures might not be sufficient to indicate their role.
Are there any conventions people use, either personally or collectively, to indicate sub-categories? Say, coloring the base edge or something.
What about special abilities?
Or is it all roster sheets?

thanks!
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Sep 09, 2021 9:37 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Generally the figures in 15mm or larger are pretty easy to understand as Knights or not. The real difference as you ask is Heavy versus Medium cavalry. Generally players use all sorts of individual conventions often invented for that army or that day's game!

Sometimes the figures are clear also. But I have not seen anyone do base edge coloring. I have seen colors of the clothing of the figures be the identifying fact.
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Jeu Sep 09, 2021 9:42 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Heavy cavalry should have armour, and mediums should not, but people also use other conventions to distinguish the two. Few people want to duplicate all of their figures when a type has a few options.

I have seen base edge colouring used to distinguish commands. Equally I have seen other methods too; figure types, poses or other representation, tunic colours, and also some basing material difference, like rocks or coloured flock bushes.
Black Prince
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Ven Sep 10, 2021 3:38 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Knights are pretty straight forward to distinguish for cavalry, Heavy cavalry from medium cavalry gets a bit harder but I only use cavalry figures with armour to indicate heavy cavalry that seems to work well. I find telling levy from heavy foot to be harder that the different types of cavalry. A friend of mine has a Spartacus slave army given the amount a levy and HF in it I find it different to tell levy from HF when they are in a mixed battlegroup.
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Ven Sep 10, 2021 4:51 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Black Prince a écrit:
Knights are pretty straight forward to distinguish for cavalry.

As a general rule I would agree regarding knights and cavalry. However for the very earliest knights and for a few others, like some of the Spanish it is not so easy. Indeed I use the same figures for Norman Heavy cavalry and the earliest knights, including the first crusade era.
Black Prince
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Sam Sep 11, 2021 8:03 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Mike Bennett a écrit:
Black Prince a écrit:
Knights are pretty straight forward to distinguish for cavalry.

As a general rule I would agree regarding knights and cavalry. However for the very earliest knights and for a few others, like some of the Spanish it is not so easy. Indeed I use the same figures for Norman Heavy cavalry and the earliest knights, including the first crusade era.

Same here, though that means all the figures are the same type in the army I have fielded either heavy cavalry or medium knights, they are never mixed so there is no confusion.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Miniatures and painting
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: