Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Before, From and After
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
Colin Whittaker
Frondeur

MessagePosté le: Mer Mai 12, 2021 3:01 pm    Sujet du message: Before, From and After Répondre en citant
Hi all

A great job on the new rules.

A question or point of clarification. The Army lists use the terms "before", "after" and "from" as indicators in relation to a date when a troop type is valid. "Before" is self-explanatory. However my interpretation is that "after" and "from" mean to different things. "after" implies that after that date the troop type wither changes or becomes available. Whereas "from" implies that after that date both the previous and the subsequent troop types are equally valid. If that is the correct interpretation then it might be worth adding this to an Faq

regards

Colin
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Visiter le site web de l'utilisateur
Dickstick
Légat

MessagePosté le: Mer Mai 12, 2021 5:47 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Think of today.
Before today was yesterday
From today is today and tomorrow
After today is tomorrow.
Hope that helps
vexillia
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mer Mai 12, 2021 6:33 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
There's also the use of "until" plus there's another issue:

I wrote in March about the V3 lists:
Citation:
Dates (An Aside)
One infuriating thing I noticed: the use of after and from when specifying dates. Their use appears random. This is important because "after 1150 AD" is not the same as "from 1150 AD" and could lead to strange one year gaps in the dates. It's sloppy and unnecessarily confusing. I hope it's resolved in V4 [sic].

https://blog.vexillia.me.uk/2021/03/adlg-army-list-database.html

Dickstick is spot on and as result there are definitely some "lost years" in the lists. I know this because I've been through all 300 lists: sad or what?

I did this because I wanted to tease out all the many sub-lists to create a high quality list database not just a simple list. I came across the issue repeatedly. Many sub-lists are distinguished solely by the dates governing allies but the issue exists elsewhere in the lists. I ended up using just "before" and "from" for consistency and to be on the safe side.

In general the odd year doesn't make a big difference but avoiding the problem will prevent confusion when submitting a list for checking.

If you're interested, the database is used to power my new List Writer and soon to be released List Search tool.
hcaille
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Ven Mai 14, 2021 6:21 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I think Before and After are self explanatory

From X signify you include X in the list

From 1250 to 1280 signify 1250 to 1280
After 1250 to 1208 signify 1251 to 1280
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Envoyer un e-mail Visiter le site web de l'utilisateur
vexillia
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Ven Mai 14, 2021 7:53 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
hcaille a écrit:

I agree.

The issue not when the list items apply but how "Before & After" differs from "Before & From":
Code:
Before 1250 & From 1250  - to 1249 & 1250 onwards
Before 1250 & After 1250 - to 1249 & 1251 onwards (so what happens in 1250?)

As Dickstick said:
Citation:
Think of today.
Before today was yesterday
From today is today and tomorrow
After today is tomorrow.

lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Dim Mai 16, 2021 12:53 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
hcaille a écrit:

From X signify you include X in the list

From 1250 to 1280 signify 1250 to 1280
After 1250 to 1208 signify 1251 to 1280

Basic english, it seems....
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
vexillia
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Ven Mai 21, 2021 8:19 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Another issue. This time with to & from - http://artdelaguerre.fr/adlg/v3/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8651

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: