Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Translation of "Les éléphants"
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
MarkC
Javelinier

MessagePosté le: Ven Déc 25, 2020 10:45 pm    Sujet du message: Translation of "Les éléphants" Répondre en citant
Another of the guides that I have put through Google translate. This was a PDF, so I have not captured the pictures.

Elephants
By Jean-François Gilles

Let's review the use of the elephant in V3 of the rules

Budget cost

More expensive and less effective against the average infantry it crushed in V2, the elephant loses a tiny bit of its luster. It may be a readjustment of an over-represented and easy-to-use troop on AdG's gaming tables.
Let's do a little reminder on the budget:
Poor elephant = 10 points
Elephant = 13 points
Elite elephant = 16 points
The budget cost of an elephant has therefore increased with V3. Even so, this remains the anti-climb troop par excellence. With a factor of + 2, the impact and the panic added, he scatters the climbs who had the madness to come and get him.

Relative Effectiveness

Faced with pedestrians, except javelins and LI, elephants are the percussive charge, and apart from the phalanx, all heavy infantrymen should be wary of them.
They are very vulnerable to fire, especially from artillery, and it is advisable to protect them with as many LIs as elephants (but beware of the artillery which will ignore the LI placed in front of them). If I have a choice, I prefer the LI javelin to protect them. Indeed if we protect the elephant with a LI bow for example and an opposing LI javelin charges, it will be necessary to opt for a choice: either accept the fight with +1 for the opponent, or dodge and accept the fight LI javelin against elephant equal to factor (1 against1). Very comfortable in the fields and undergrowth, elephants dislodge medium troops, while, together with their own medium troops, they are a support in challenging these terrains. In clear terrain they dissuade the opposing climbs from attacking their medium infantry.

Let's do a full tour of the combat factor differentials in the first round of the melee (troop El-bonus = differential):

• heavy launchers, heavy infantry, medium lancers, medium infantry, LI without javelin, archers, crossbowmen: +1 for the elephant
  • phalanx, LI javelin, elephants: tie
  • cavalry, camels, knights, cataphracts, heavy chariots: +3 for the elephant
  • Light cavalry, scythe chariot: +4 for the elephant
  • levy, war chariot, artillery: +2 for the elephant
  • javelins: -1 against the elephant

Based on these factors, you can view the odds of winning on page 235 of the rulebook.

Organizational concept:

How many elephants to take, and how to divide them?

I have a principle, which is only valid for me of course, but which is the basis of my army composition: "If an army list includes at least one elephant, even a mediocre one, it must be included in your composition"
Experience has shown me, whatever the rule, that this type of troop exerts a psychological influence on the adversary. This very often expends a disproportionate amount of energy, in terms of troops and command points, to counter, eliminate or avoid them. In addition, the presence of an elephant can make the adversary doubt and lose the momentum that the initiative had given him.
Elite elephants, like in an Indian army, are a real steamroller, but their numbers will be, in my opinion, more limited. I think 2 or 3 is a good compromise in this type of army. Taking any more would throw the list off balance. Taking 6 elite elephants would be suicidal for a beginner, because there would be too few troops left for the rest of the army ... unless you play in 300 points

“Ordinary†elephants can be taken in higher numbers. In Tamil armies for example, they are combined with medium troops and you can compose an army around 26 units on average while lining up a significant number of elephants. Some players line up competitive armies with between 4 and 6 “ordinary†elephants.

Mediocre elephants are an underestimated type of troop; they are never in great numbers: the maximum is 3 in a Carthaginian army, 4 including the Numidian ally. One wonders why take them, especially since some armies, for example the Roman Republic, have only one? In my Carthaginian army, I put them in a group of impetuous middle infantrymen to conquer the fields and undergrowth. They should not be relied on to make them a shock troop, they have a role of supporting the middle infantry, and protecting the flanks of the heavy infantry, they disrupt the climbs as well as the others. I always take 2 or 3, and even if there is only one on the list, I take it.

What about the distribution? Well that's a question of perspective. Back to the case of the mediocre elephant. I would no longer make the mistake of grouping my 3 Carthaginian elephants as a strike force. I think you have to divide them at the rate of 1 or 2 per body. Here are different ways to use them:

{Picture of MI-El-MI-El-MI}

Above, the elephants lend their support to a fiery body. By alternating a means and an elephant, the mounted will suffer a penalty of -1 if they attack the means.

{Picture of El-MI-MI-MI-EL-MI-MI-MI-MI-El}

Here is a line of means in 2 bodies framed by elephants protecting them from the overflows of the opposing cavalry, one body can pivot or both go straight ahead. Putting the elephants at the ends makes it possible to attack for example in a plantation while supporting with the elephants in the clear ground.

{Picture of MI-El-MI}

An elite elephant protected by a LI javelin with Elite Medium Impact Infantrymen. Don't stand in front of poor fools!

{Picture of El-MI-MI-El-HI-HI-HI-HI-HI-HI-El}

Here it is the heavy infantry which is framed at the end of the line by a mediocre elephant. It protects from bypassing climbs. A body of means supported by elephants supports the other wing and will take support on a field for example. Remember to assemble your troops to the assault rhythm, do not leave troops on the way

{Picture of MI-Bw-El-Bw-MI}

Here a defensive position intended to hold a wing or to serve as a pivot. The elephant is flanked by archers and protected by an LI, medium spearmen frame them at the end of the line. The horsemen will think about coming to get them, and in a field, they will be hard to dislodge.If you have armies combining elephants and medium mixed troops (bow for example like the classic Indians), you have a combination of troops that are difficult to beat. . Some prefer to concentrate the elephants in the same body, others to divide them, this choice joins the debate on the composition of a list with 1 body of means or 2. If you have 2 bodies of means, then put 1 elephant in each body. Never drag elephants into your own mounted bodies, unless those mounted are dodging and not meant to fight and their reason for being is to beat the adversary down on the elephants.

Conclusion:

Elephants are the centerpiece of an army. Impressive, painted by artists with love, we often want to see them shine. Resist the psychological chimera of imagining that they are the ones who will win you the game. Certainly, I have the memory of a mediocre elephant in my republic Romans pulverizing a wing of Gallic means and crunching one by one the heavy ones in the center. It just goes to show that a mediocre elephant can do impressive damage, and that you should always beware, but you have to keep your feet on the ground. I remember the masters in Lyon where my 3 mediocre elephants were sprayed in 4 out of 5 games and in particular twice against a line of elite heavy infantry. It can be concluded that a pair of elephants in an army is always a good idea.
Even if the V3 has reduced their potential and increased their cost, it will remain for a long time the favorite troop of many players who love to see their opponent decompose in front of their number of pachyderms.
I pass on the elephant with artillery which I have no experience of playing

[/u]
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
fdunadan
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Sam Déc 26, 2020 8:01 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Little translation error: "climb" = mounted

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: