Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Terrain and Evading Troops
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Auteur Message
Ballista
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Dim Fév 27, 2022 6:48 am    Sujet du message: Terrain and Evading Troops Répondre en citant
Situation - LH charged in flank by impetuous MI
LH choose to evade
They turn away from the charge and must evade in that direction, not to their rear ?
There is difficult terrain about 2UD to their front when they do so

The question is: Do they stop when they reach the terrain as 2UD is their movement in difficult terrain?
Are they able to slide (won't clear terrain)
Are they able to wheel and run along edge of the terrain (keeping their normal movement distance of 5UD?

Thanks
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Longtooth
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Dim Fév 27, 2022 7:29 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hi Ballista,

The evade movement sequence on page 47 is pretty helpful.

With respect to your questions:

1. Yes. The LH must turn to the left or right if charged on their flank (see second bullet point under 1 - Evading Unit's Orientation)

2. Yes. The LH must stop on the edge of the terrain if it does not have enough movement rate to enter the terrain. Difficult / rough terrain does not comprise an 'obstacle' which means you are not allowed to slide or wheel to avoid it (refer to second case: evade blocked by an obstacle and 5 - evade move, both on page 48 ).

Jesse
Ballista
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Dim Fév 27, 2022 12:32 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Yes got the part about difficult terrain not being an obstacle so can't slide/wheel to try and pass it

Where does it say has to stop if movement distance exceeded/moved for terrain (I know it does just can't recall where it is)

As an aside what happens if a unit evading meets a friendly unit (over 1UD away ) it cannot interpenetrate - is it allowed to slide/wheel to try and pass ?
Longtooth
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Dim Fév 27, 2022 1:01 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Movement allowance is described on Page 29.

The procedure for meeting new friends during an evade move is described on the very last paragraph of Page 48.
Za Otlichiye
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Dim Fév 27, 2022 3:27 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
The second bullet on page 48:

• If the evading unit starts within one UD of rough or difficult terrain it cannot slide to avoid it, so must enter the terrain. Its movement distance is reduced accordingly.

can certainly be taken to imply that if it starts beyond one UD, it can slide to avoid rough or difficult terrain. And if it can slide, then it should be able to wheel too. I would say the question is moot.
(And within is incorrect. It should be less than.)
Longtooth
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Dim Fév 27, 2022 3:58 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Za Otlichiye a écrit:
The second bullet on page 48:

• If the evading unit starts within one UD of rough or difficult terrain it cannot slide to avoid it, so must enter the terrain. Its movement distance is reduced accordingly.

can certainly be taken to imply that if it starts beyond one UD, it can slide to avoid rough or difficult terrain. And if it can slide, then it should be able to wheel too. I would say the question is moot.
(And within is incorrect. It should be less than.)

I don't think so.

The section at the bottom right of page 48 (Evade Move) is clear: "an evading unit moves in a straight line up to its maximum adjusted evade distance". Although the text goes on to say that slides, etc are permitted to avoid an obstacle, terrain is not considered to be an obstacle unless it is impassable.

Jesse
Za Otlichiye
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Dim Fév 27, 2022 4:20 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Rough or difficult terrain is not considered an obstacle that blocks and therefore cancels evasion. But the rest of the rules appear to imply it's an obstacle which can be avoided. Where's my "completely bamboozled" emoticon? Smile
Ballista
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Lun Fév 28, 2022 1:32 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
So friends it cannot interpenetrate would be considered an 'obstacle' ? - not how obstacles are defined on P67 ?

Yes there would be argument about starting beyond 1UD of rough/difficult terrain and then being able to slide/wheel to avoid it
(Reverse argument of starting within 1UD of rought/difficult terrain)
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Fév 28, 2022 9:53 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ballista a écrit:
So friends it cannot interpenetrate would be considered an 'obstacle' ? - not how obstacles are defined on P67 ?

The obstacle on p67 is a specific game piece that is purchased so that is different.
Za Otlichiye
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Lun Fév 28, 2022 10:08 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Interesting point (now that I understand it Cool ).
Since you can cross a purchased obstacle, but with a movement penalty, I would presume it would be treated the same way as movement-penalizing terrain.
(What that treatment is, we are still arguing about.)
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Mar Mar 01, 2022 2:28 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
If an evader is to allowed to change direction it might actually then be best to set up with terrain behind a unit to allow a change of direction out of the chargers path to guarantee a safe evade

The charger has to set direction at the start of the move and is not allowed to change to follow. A change of direction could therefore be a powerful tool to allow a slow moving evader to move out of the path of a faster chaser and thereby avoid being hit.
Za Otlichiye
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mar Mar 01, 2022 2:45 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I believe the "deviate as little as possible" implies the evader should wheel back into to same direction as soon as the obstacle is cleared. Although that won't necessarily help the chargers catch them.
Longtooth
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mar Mar 01, 2022 7:52 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Mike Bennett a écrit:
If an evader is to allowed to change direction it might actually then be best to set up with terrain behind a unit to allow a change of direction out of the chargers path to guarantee a safe evade

The charger has to set direction at the start of the move and is not allowed to change to follow. A change of direction could therefore be a powerful tool to allow a slow moving evader to move out of the path of a faster chaser and thereby avoid being hit.

Hi Mike,

I don't think there is an 'if' here. This was discussed in September of last year and the consensus at that time was that fleeing units must move straight back unless they meet an obstacle. Obstacles are narrowly defined as enemy units, friendly units that cannot be interpenetrated, or impassable terrain (as per Second Case: Evade Blocked by an Obstacle, page 48 ). The second bullet point in the same section appears to be a red herring.

Previous thread can be seen here:
http://artdelaguerre.fr/adlg/v3/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8845

Could I suggest that this thread now be closed unless someone from the DT wants to contribute? I am not trying to slap anyone down or stifle debate, but it is becoming increasingly difficult to find any useful rule clarifications amongst the chatter.

Jesse
Za Otlichiye
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mar Mar 01, 2022 3:33 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
That thread is useful. Here's how it actually went down:

• MC_Delicatessen asks the question.
  • Ramses II (DT member) says something
  • Mike Bennett objects and says no
  • daveallen says it's unclear
  • marco baroni introduces a clever alternative interpretation
  • Dickstick objects and says no
  • micheni says there is no consensus
  • Zoltan says there is consensus, no

Without disparaging either Mike Bennett's nor Dickstick's thinking, 2 out of 8 is hardly a quorum.

Decades in forums has taught me there is nothing that destroys good will faster than meta-discussion, so I will simply say let's stick to chattering about rules in the rules forum.
MC_Delicatessen
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Mar Mar 01, 2022 10:02 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
The previous thread was crystal clear.

This forum is unfortunately packed with trolling. I think it is particularly alienating for new players. This forum could really do with some hard and fast moderation to cut out loads of the BS, in my humble opinion.

"To summarise what has already been answered in this thread:

1. No, an evading unit can not slide to avoid rough or difficult terrain.

2. No, rough or difficult terrain does NOT count as an obstacle.

3. Yes, an evader that has already moved the maximum permitted distance for the rough/difficult terrain stops in front that terrain and does not enter it."

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules question V4
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: