Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Byzantines at Barrage
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Tournaments and Events
Auteur Message
ethan
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Lun Sep 27, 2021 8:13 pm    Sujet du message: Byzantines at Barrage Répondre en citant
I took Komnenan Byzantines to Barrage and manage to pull out a 1st place.

The list was:
Brilliant CiC1 Elite M Kn Impact3 M Kn Impact2 MC Bow2 LC Bow2 LI Bow
Brilliant Sub
2 Elite H Sw Armor 2HW2 M Kn Impact1 Bowmen3 LI Bow
Ordinary Included Sub1 Elite M Kn Impact1 M Kn Impact2 LC Bow1 LI Bow

This is an army I used reasonably effectively in v3 and decided to run out again in v4 as I was being indecisive...

The design does a few things...Largish numbers of easily controlled knightsDecent skirmishers and initiative.  Solid numbers of LI which I think is more important in V4.  They are needed to screen dismounted knights if you face longbows, shoot back at LC (and other cav for that matter), and break LC ZoCs in particular.  The LI are less problematic to take now as they count 3 to 1 as LC for initiative.  This is a substantial change, but whatever else it does it increases flexibility in army design.  I think we'll see lots of armies with 4LC + 6 LI or 5 LC+3LIThe Varangians are a nice rock solid infantry core that can be used in terrain in a pinch.  The lone bowmen provides a little firepower to that infantry block making it a bigger threat to mounted in particular.The change to dismounting for M Knight makes them a bit more attractive, dismounting as H Sw Armor 2HW, the added 2HW is a nice addition.
Of course I fought noone with longbows...

Game 1 vs. North American Indians.

Another player who came expecting longbows (33 Units including 20ish M Sw impetuous would do a number on longbows).  Fortunately, I had knights.  The Indians played a good game and had pretty good terrain to fight it in with fair numbers of RGo in good spots on their side of the table.  The doubt here though was more about killing 33 attrition points vice winning.  As it turns out I needed all 7 turns going slightly over on time to break the Iroquois.
The main point here is to realize that there was no way to prevent getting flanked, just too many Indians and the the key was to do whatever was needed to keep the knights safe and killing everything in front of them.

Game 2 vs. Numidians.  

I attacked (as I did in all three games) and this time chose mountains figuring the Numidians were likely to be large and unlike the Iroquois maneverable.
The Numidians made a couple of key errors.  They deployed their main command of H Sw Impact and Med Elephants first and did it in such a way as to make clear that it was the sole command on the Numidian right flank.  The Numidians then deploy two commands of MC Javline and LC Javelin on their left.

I had written a deployment that would let me slide around in particular putting more or less emphasis to the right or left of a steep hill in the center left of the Numidian line.  I slid hard dto my right, putting two commands on the far side of the hill and my best skirmishing command (the first) on my left (the Numidian right).  

This basically guaranteed I would dominate my right flank and the plan was to turn onto the flank of the Numidian main command. Moving first here is huge.  My two left commands storm forward, with corps #2's LI Bow taking control of the hill while Corps #1 threatens in the center and slows down the Numidian foot/elephant command.

This dutifully happens and the Numidians seeing the writing on the wall attempt to stop the Varangian/Knight onslaught with the MC.  THis is as hopeless as it sounds and ultimately the Byzantines grind up MC/LC and a couple of odd H Sw for the win.

Game 3 vs. Carthagainian

I basically knew what was in this list having helped to write it...and it was problematic in the hands of a good player - which this was.  I attacked - Yay! The terrain that resulted was as bad for me as it could be....Big chunks of Rgo dividing the table into thirds - with even more RGo and a coast choking off my entire right flank.  It was obvious I was going to face a command of M Sw + Med El in both patches of RGo with a big command of H Sw + H Sp in the center.  A small 4-5UD wide gap on my left was going to have MC + LC in it that I had to chase/screen off (using up precious knights) but probably wasn't going to be able to catch and kill...
So the only option here is to attack with all I have and hope to smash through the HI center before I fall apart...

I send my small Corps #3 to fend off the expected skirmishing command on my left, screen off the leftmost Rgo with a Varangian, a bowmen and a couple LC.  This won't hold but it will slow down Carthage.  The rest of the knights and lone varangian go into the center to win or die trying.  The 2 MC + 2 LC skirmish to their right to keep their flank safe as long as possible.

Carthage clearly sees how this is going to play out...but then gets greedy.  The skirmishing command thinks it can win on my left by sneaking an elephant into the fight....but Carthage fails to realize I have a LI that can intervene.  THis winds up with an El nullified and eventually killed and 3 MC dead.  Meanwhile in the center Byzantium executes a well ordered charge with A LI hitting an elephant that has moved into the center and a varangian + 4 knights charging.  This goes ok, but doesn't seem inspiring at first glance.  The bright spot is pinging the elephant.  

After this things go really well for the Greeks here with the lone varangian holding off M Sw Impact (who has an overlap) and eventually killing it and the knights eventually massacring the H Sw.  Now things have flipped as Carthage has lost in the center and having committed to fighting on my left has taken very heavy casualties.  Byzantium is now playing "downhill" being way ahead in the attrition contest and is able to clean up Carthage which has to try and pull back a victory.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Tournaments and Events
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: