Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Republican Roman army list
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Army lists
Auteur Message
DieselDave
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 16, 2021 8:46 pm    Sujet du message: Republican Roman army list Répondre en citant
HI all,

I am new to ADLG and am currently putting together a Carthaginian and a Republican Roman army in 15mm. I have a question regarding the Republican Roman list. It seems to say that all Hastati/Principes units must have the same level of armour. This seems a bit odd as I have always thought that the Principes were the richer/better equiped troops and would have had mail armour whereas the Hastati (at least early on) would have been less well equipped , possibly with no armour or with just a chest plate. Am I misunderstanding the army list?

many thanks,
Dave.

p.s. if there is anyone in the Limousin area in central France that would like a game of ADLG with a newbie , let me know Smile
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Black Prince
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 16, 2021 11:17 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hi Dave,

You should watch this YouTube video by Tim and Friends it will probably answer every one of your questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W1RJ-JpWso
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Fév 17, 2021 11:30 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
hello,
Yes, hastati and principes are considered having the same armor, surely a old survivance of dbm lists.
If you want found player in france, yoy should post in french part of forum.
DieselDave
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Mer Fév 17, 2021 5:22 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thank you both for your replies.

It's a little odd that they are both considered to have the same armour but I guess the very large shield that both types carry is a large part of their 'armour'.

I've seen the video , very interesting it is too. It's Tim's fault that I've started looking at ADLG ,thanks to his website...

I will try to post in the French forum but my French is still very poor... Sad
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Fév 17, 2021 7:11 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
DieselDave a écrit:

It's a little odd that they are both considered to have the same armour but I guess the very large shield that both types carry is a large part of their 'armour'.

I've seen the video , very interesting it is too. It's Tim's fault that I've started looking at ADLG ,thanks to his website...

playing with french is a good way to polish your own french.
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Mer Fév 17, 2021 8:55 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
lionelrus a écrit:
DieselDave a écrit:

Even better if she is good looking
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Mer Fév 17, 2021 8:56 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
[quote="Mike Bennett"]
lionelrus a écrit:
DieselDave a écrit:

encore mieux si elle est jolie
MC_Delicatessen
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Sam Fév 20, 2021 10:40 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
(As much as I hate promoting FB)

Here is the difficult to find much more active FB group for ADLG if you haven’t found it Wink
https://m.facebook.com/groups/746965518747018/?multi_permalinks=3522396731203869&notif_t=group_activity&notif_id=1613814817746659&ref=m_notif
DieselDave
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Lun Fév 22, 2021 9:13 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thank you MC , I will take a look.
Jhykronos
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Sam Fév 27, 2021 5:34 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
DieselDave a écrit:

I am new to ADLG and am currently putting together a Carthaginian and a Republican Roman army in 15mm. I have a question regarding the Republican Roman list. It seems to say that all Hastati/Principes units must have the same level of armour. This seems a bit odd as I have always thought that the Principes were the richer/better equiped troops and would have had mail armour whereas the Hastati (at least early on) would have been less well equipped , possibly with no armour or with just a chest plate. Am I misunderstanding the army list?

From Polybius:

"When they come to the rendezvous, they choose the youngest and poorest to form the velites; the next to them are made hastati; those in the prime of life principes; and the oldest of all triarii, these being the names among the Romans of the four classes in each legion distinct in age and equipment."

"The common soldiers wear in addition a breastplate of brass a span square, which they place in front of the heart and call the heartprotector (pectorale), this completing their accoutrements; but those who are rated above ten thousand drachmas wear instead of this a coat of chain-mail (lorica). The principes and triarii are armed in the same manner except that instead of the pila the triarii carry long spears (hastae)."

The only class where wealth (or lack thereof) seems to be mentioned is the velites... the rest are sorted by age. A Hastatus from a rich family would get the maille, while a Principe from an average family would get the standard issue pectoral plate.

And I imagine a legion raised in an emergency would get whatever they could find.
DieselDave
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Sam Fév 27, 2021 9:11 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thank you Jhykronos for that.
It makes sense now Smile

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Army lists
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: