Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
2 doubts!
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
Nightingale87
Gladiateur

MessagePosté le: Mar Jan 08, 2019 10:58 am    Sujet du message: 2 doubts! Répondre en citant
Hi there.

Long time no message. I´ve been playing some other games and I had some doubts coming back to ADLG.

1. Does impetuous infantry lose +1 vs pikes??

2. Lets say I have 2 swordsmen vs 1 swordsmen (doesnt matter the type of unit. I´m expecting the enemy to charge (no matter the reason). Can I order my trops in an L angle expecting them to charge me and be outflanked immediately? If so. How does that combat resolve?

Like this:

A>B
A

Note that A> is facing east. WHereas A is facing north. And B charges one of them.

Thank you!

Everytime I come back to ADLG I realice how much I like it!
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Jan 08, 2019 2:11 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Nightingale87 a écrit:
Hi there.

Long time no message. I´ve been playing some other games and I had some doubts coming back to ADLG.

1. Does impetuous infantry lose +1 vs pikes??

No. They only lose it versus the troop types listed as cancelling infantry Impact set out on p17, plus also enemy non-impetuous swordsmen contacted on their front as set out in the section on Impetuous Troops, also on p17. Pikes aren't in either list

Nightingale87 a écrit:

2. Lets say I have 2 swordsmen vs 1 swordsmen (doesnt matter the type of unit. I´m expecting the enemy to charge (no matter the reason). Can I order my trops in an L angle expecting them to charge me and be outflanked immediately? If so. How does that combat resolve?

Like this:

A>B
A

Note that A> is facing east. WHereas A is facing north. And B charges one of them.

Yes you can. You fight at zero as you have enemy in melee with your flank and front (last paragraph on p56), but you don't lose a cohesion point - this is stated explicitly at the bottom of p 59 in one of the bullet points in the section 'Multiple Opponents'
Nightingale87
Gladiateur

MessagePosté le: Mar Jan 08, 2019 9:13 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thanks!...

That´s what I thought and how we resolved everything.

No I still have a doubt about the first question. Impetuous units don´t lose the -1 vs Pikes and still get the furious charge. So that makes them kid of ok against pikes, or at least better than against HI. What does this represent? In real life I mean. I know we don´t have a lot about how it actually happened and there varios opinions on the matter. So what do you think?
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Jan 08, 2019 10:48 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Nightingale87 a écrit:
Thanks!...

That´s what I thought and how we resolved everything.

No I still have a doubt about the first question. Impetuous units don´t lose the -1 vs Pikes and still get the furious charge. So that makes them kid of ok against pikes, or at least better than against HI. What does this represent? In real life I mean. I know we don´t have a lot about how it actually happened and there varios opinions on the matter. So what do you think?

It represents mad charging Infantry, often with hand thrown spears or axes used just before combat being “pretty much the same†as Pikemen in the first round of combat. If they win they will be “pretty much the same†in subsequent rounds too, but the Pikemen will be starting the subsequent rounds closer to defeat.  If they draw or lose, they have failed to break down the Pikemens formation and so can expect to be ground down by the still-coherent phalanx in subsequent turns.

The core assumption here is that Pike are very very tough unless their formation gets broken into/disrupted, and a mad charge by well tooled up aggressive blokes is capable of doing that better than most other troops.  

This idea that Pike are good until they start to lose the coherence of their formation - after which they can go down quickly - is a common, even standard trope in Ancients rules. 
Zoltan
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Mer Jan 09, 2019 7:07 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Regarding Q2 and you setting and L shaped trap for your opponent to charge into; surely your opponent would be an idiot to charge into that trap? Unless they were forced to make an incontrolled charge I would think they would do everthing possible to avoid charging into your jaws of death.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: