Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Charging flank of pikemen
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Lun Sep 24, 2018 6:09 pm    Sujet du message: Charging flank of pikemen Répondre en citant
More of a comment than a query. Over the weekend there was the following position. Two pike units, each 4 ranks (A and B) facing up the page.

_B
_B
AB
AB
A
A

To their right is an enemy unit. It wanted to charge the flank of A (for various reasons a flank attack on B wasn't possible). I ruled the charge couldn't take place as it would be unable to conform due to the rear ranks of unit B. t was suggested those rear ranks could be removed as they're optional. But it actually states they can be removed 'if they impede the movement of the unit' (referring to the pike unit itself) - and this wasn't the case.

The feeling was that there appears to be some scope for gamesmanship here. The owning player can effectively choose whether or not to have extra ranks to block movement as they wish (albeit they would have to engineer it a bit). It might be preferable if the rear ranks were optional under all circumstances.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Sep 24, 2018 6:39 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
AlanCutner a écrit:
More of a comment than a query. Over the weekend there was the following position. Two pike units, each 4 ranks (A and B) facing up the page.

_B
_B
AB
AB
A
A

To their right is an enemy unit. It wanted to charge the flank of A (for various reasons a flank attack on B wasn't possible). I ruled the charge couldn't take place as it would be unable to conform due to the rear ranks of unit B. t was suggested those rear ranks could be removed as they're optional. But it actually states they can be removed 'if they impede the movement of the unit' (referring to the pike unit itself) - and this wasn't the case.

The feeling was that there appears to be some scope for gamesmanship here. The owning player can effectively choose whether or not to have extra ranks to block movement as they wish (albeit they would have to engineer it a bit). It might be preferable if the rear ranks were optional under all circumstances.

Three options

- The rear ranks of B impede the movement (through preventing a combat which would then lead to conforming in a subsequent turn) of A, so are removed. Twisted Evil
- Both players are adults and agree and understand that the baseline intention is that pikemen should be on a 40x40, so anything fiddly involving movement and the aesthetic extra bases should be resolved using an assumption that they are on 40x40's.
- The Umpire is called in, and makes a ruling that this is a situation so unusual that it is not really explicitly covered by the rules but also not worth a clarification so they just make a call either way and everyone lives with it and moves on.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Sep 25, 2018 12:36 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
So A's flank was partially blocked by B?

Was the part blocked inclusive of the 40mm side edge? What the part of B doing to blocking part of the 40mm side edge?

I don't see how if any of the 40mm side edge of A was blocked by any of the 40mm depth of B that this is a legal contact.

Consider

MI.HI

The Heavy block 30mm of the side edge of the 40mm deep MI. But that does not allow a charge on the MI flank. right?
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Mar Sep 25, 2018 7:30 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Two things

1. Why do you consider pikes to have a 40mm depth? They are HI so, once 3rd/4th ranks are disregarded, they have a 30mm depth. If these units had been Heavy Spearmen we would only be considering 30mm depths.

2. The rules clearly state the 3rd/4th ranks of pike are removed if they impede movement of the unit (clearly referring to the movement of the pike unit). So there is no need to remove them because of an enemy movement.

I agree 100% they should not get in the way of any moves, friend or enemy. But right now I'm not aware of anything in the rules that covers that.
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Sep 25, 2018 9:51 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Although I don’t think it was unclear before, this is covered by Appendix 1 in the latest FAQ.
In this case it may be simplest to remove unit B4 temporarily (using the other B units as a marker), though obviously that depends on the particular circumstances in the game. 
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Sep 25, 2018 9:53 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
AlanCutner a écrit:
Two things

1. Why do you consider pikes to have a 40mm depth? They are HI so, once 3rd/4th ranks are disregarded, they have a 30mm depth. If these units had been Heavy Spearmen we would only be considering 30mm depths.

2. The rules clearly state the 3rd/4th ranks of pike are removed if they impede movement of the unit (clearly referring to the movement of the pike unit). So there is no need to remove them because of an enemy movement.

I agree 100% they should not get in the way of any moves, friend or enemy. But right now I'm not aware of anything in the rules that covers that.

comment on dit mauvaise foi en anglais?
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Sep 25, 2018 1:39 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
AlanCutner a écrit:
Two things

I get what you are saying. FWIW see this thread, which is not definitive.

http://artdelaguerre.fr/adlg/v3/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6762
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Mar Sep 25, 2018 3:56 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Citation:
Although I don’t think it was unclear before, this is covered by Appendix 1 in the latest FAQ.
In this case it may be simplest to remove unit B4 temporarily (using the other B units as a marker), though obviously that depends on the particular circumstances in the game.

Thanks - I think that does answer it. As I read it now there are two points to consider

1. The standard base size for all HI is 40x30 (P7). But pikemen can be on non-standard bases of 40x60 (4 ranks) or 40x40 (3 ranks).

2. No advantage is allowed by having non-standard size bases (FAQ appendix 1). So the extra depth of a non-standard pike base is ignored if it blocks a move otherwise permitted.

Any problems with this interpretation?
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Sep 25, 2018 10:41 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I think I would just say :-

“Although Pikes are represented by more figures on deeper bases than other units, for all game purposes they are considered to be based on Heavy Infantry bases.â€

In the above diagram, each pike ‘column’ should be 4x30cm or 3UD long, so depending on the bases available, the player would probably leave a number of figures off-table until they are needed when one or more units turn at right angles to the column facing (which would force those unit(s) behind to retire slightly per diagrams on p29 & 30). 

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: