Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Pg41 exceptions to uncontrolled charge, terrain disadvantage
Page 2 sur 3 Aller à la page Précédente  1, 2, 3  Suivante
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Mer Juin 13, 2018 10:41 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
sorry I disagree, although I accept maybe my English is at fault. It does not say ends up which would give the same result as the French. it says as a result of ie if it were not for that move it would not be in difficult terrain.

this word clearly consider the start point as well as the end point.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Juin 13, 2018 10:42 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ramses II a écrit:
Guys 
  1. That anomaly has already been noted and corrected in the official amendments. So you consider state of the unit at the end of its move, per the French rules. 
    If possible you should apply the relevant amendment patches and corrections to your rule books - though I agree that is rather untidy.  
  2. Gingerdave, you raise a very interesting question. I am unclear whether giving an opponent a +1 is the equivalent of inflicting a combat penalty on a unit. I will check with the TB.
I have checked, and an enemy uphill does trigger an uncontrolled charge (unless the hill is not clear terrain), because it does not inflict a combat disadvantage on the Impetuous unit. 
So Impetuous Norman knights will be required to charge uphill against the Saxon shield wall in refights of Hastings (unless held back . . . )
Wink
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Mer Juin 13, 2018 10:48 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
anyway I drop this now if we have no consensus on what it actually says and will have to accept decisions by tournament umpires and I hope these interpret as the French version for international consistency.
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Juin 13, 2018 11:26 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Sorry Mike, I am struggling to understand your problem.
It seems you had a situation where your unit was just outside some terrain, an enemy unit moved through the terrain, it’s front edge leaving to get into contact with yours. Yes?
 (Note, unless the enemy unit completely cleared the terrain, then according to the definitions on p57 Terrain Modifiers the unit should suffer some negative modifier.)

Then there was the debate about the difference between the French and English text, and the amendment which supposedly brought the english text in line with the French.  

So could you detail where the discrepancy has crept in
Black Prince
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Jeu Juin 14, 2018 4:07 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
The Hastings example is interesting the Impetuous Normans are force to charge into a melee in a disadvantaged situation because they do not receive a negative modifier the defender gets a positive modifier. If I have read this correctly it seems a bit cheesy.
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Jeu Juin 14, 2018 5:14 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
The enemy was in difficult terrain at the start of their move
I was just outside but close to the difficult terrain, such that if he charged me the back of his base was in the difficult and he had a minus 1

In English we agreed that he had to charge. It was not the charge move that would result in him being in terrain that gave a disadvantage, since he was already in it and so even if he did not charge he was in terrain that gave him such a disadvantage already

He had French rules, where the wording is different and so we agreed it took precedence and so he did not charge, avoiding my cunningly laid trap
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Juin 14, 2018 10:19 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ok, and thanks Mike for your patience. As I said earlier, perhaps better wording would be
Citation:
“if, as the result of the charge move, the unit [s]ends up[/s] is in terrain that would inflict a combat penalty on itâ€.

However, the intention is that it is only the end state of the unit that is important, we ignore the initial position, so the fact that the unit started in the terrain is irrelevant.

=======

Patrick, perhaps we can correct this in a future version of the FAQ??
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Juin 14, 2018 11:27 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Black Prince a écrit:
The Hastings example is interesting the Impetuous Normans are force to charge into a melee in a disadvantaged situation because they do not receive a negative modifier the defender gets a positive modifier. If I have read this correctly it seems a bit cheesy.

"Cheesy" ?

I'm not sure it's anything other than somewhat poor generalship to lose control of impetuous knights after moving them to the foot of a hill which has enemy spearmen sat on top of it..? Wink
Zoltan
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Jeu Juin 14, 2018 7:50 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ramses II a écrit:
Ok, and thanks Mike for your patience. As I said earlier, perhaps better wording would be
Citation:
“if, as the result of the charge move, the unit [s]ends up[/s] is in terrain that would inflict a combat penalty on itâ€.

However, the intention is that it is only the end state of the unit that is important, we ignore the initial position, so the fact that the unit started in the terrain is irrelevant.

=======

Patrick, perhaps we can correct this in a future version of the FAQ??

So does this mean there can never be uncontrolled charges where both charger and enemy units are already within terrain that gives a combat disadvantage, as the combat will always take place in disadvantaging terrain?
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Juin 14, 2018 8:26 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Black Prince a écrit:

History is cheesy?
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Juin 14, 2018 8:30 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Mike Bennett a écrit:

He had French rules, where the wording is different and so we agreed it took precedence and so he did not charge, avoiding my cunningly laid trap

So lets just agree for this discussion that there is a difference between rules in languages for this point and that is unresolved at the time of the tournament.

I would suggest the tournament umpire decides and it will largely be based on the language of the country that is hosting the tournament. IF I am in Italy I would expect the umpire to consult the Italian rules. If France the French. In the UK the British rules. And if Russia whatever the KGB says.
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Jeu Juin 14, 2018 9:07 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hazelbark a écrit:
Mike Bennett a écrit:

So lets just agree for this discussion that there is a difference between rules in languages for this point and that is unresolved at the time of the tournament.

I would suggest the tournament umpire decides and it will largely be based on the language of the country that is hosting the tournament. IF I am in Italy I would expect the umpire to consult the Italian rules. If France the French. In the UK the British rules. And if Russia whatever the KGB says.

That would be FSB, tovarich Wink
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Jeu Juin 14, 2018 9:50 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I think a better wording might be

“if after the charge move the unit ends up in combat in terrain that would inflict a combat penalty on itâ€.
Black Prince
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Sam Juin 16, 2018 4:54 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I guess not been an impetuous knight I struggle to understand why not charging into a field to get at enemy is a perfectly sensible but if the enemy is on a hill and is at advantage then that is no problem "lets have em". It is different if the commander feels he has no choice an orders a charge uphill.

"History is cheesy" - is that the justification for Barkerese? Very Happy
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Juin 16, 2018 7:33 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Two perspectives here.

On foot, a hill is visually quite slight, but the incline is sufficient to leave you breathless if you run the last 200 paces or so in full kit, which will put you at at disadvantage against someone who is calmly waiting upslope. 

On a slightly steeper section against an enemy with a man high shield, a horseman / “medium knight†may struggle to use his superior height to advantage

Either way, it’s a game, and them’s the rules - Very Happy

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 2 sur 3 Aller à la page Précédente  1, 2, 3  Suivante
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: