Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Advice for List 82 Triumvirate Roman
Page 2 sur 2 Aller à la page Précédente  1, 2
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Army lists
Auteur Message
fdunadan
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Lun Nov 12, 2018 10:30 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Sparkles a écrit:
Sorry to restart this conversation but I'm on a 5 game losing streak and really need some help. I think the problem I'm currently having is less to do with my list or dice but a problem with my deployment and movement before combat. Here are of the things that I think are making me lose. The armies I'm fighting mostly come from the Macedonian or Barbarian families with Nikephorian Byzantines as the exception.

I end up deploying a legion corp up against a refused flank of LH or something similar. It take forever to get them into combat. Similarly when I tried Armenian Cataphract allies they faced Pike or Elephants. Deploy as dense as possible, try to imagine where each type of adverse troop will be deployed and plan accordingly. If your nemesis is in front, DON'T attack them: redeploy, move another corps to slow/stop them.

My opponents keep getting small (2-4 units) cavalry groups onto my flank or rear in a single turn through gaps in the 4UD range and I don't know how to respond to it. Use the terrains: a wood, steep hill or even fields can severly reduce the speed of cavalry, and 1 MI or 2 LI in it can give them a bad day. Protect your flanks: the legion can pierce anything in frontal fight, but the flank are their weak point. Sacrifice a cavalry unit to delay 2-4 ennemy during a turn or two can save your day.

My opponents are much better than me at getting LI to provide overlap or just have a bigger army so I end up at a disadvantage in combat. Be better than them Smile you need to have overlaps at some points, critical ones. Learn to pose your troops there and have advantage where your attack will maximise the damage. Charge the LI with heavier troops (or Javelin LI). Use the terrain to place the ennemy in a disadvantage.

I don't know how to deal with a couple of CV on the end of a HI line. They'll just evade me leaving legions not fighting the actual enemy line but if I have the legions so they face the infantry line then the CV will start getting ready to flank me. Use some units to counter the Cav, if it's a commonly used tactic by your opponent. Place 1 Cav in each corps for this purpose, or give one HI this mission. Or move not straight to the ennemy; but with an angle, to refuse your flank as much as possible. Did I mentionned the use of terrain for denying speed to the ennemy cavalry?
    I'm not sure how to deal with Pike and Cataphracts. I seem to lose against them head on more often than and although my legions should be easier to move I'm not sure how to take advantage of that. HI can't move very fast. DO NOT contact Cataphracts in open terrain with your légions. The're the ultimate Legion Destructors. but they're unmaneuvrable... try to contain them with terrain, shoot them at range, attack them with Cavalry Impact, or just stay away and fight the others troops. Pikes are a tough nut to crack, you start at 0/0 on firts turn with the impact, but after that you're either at 0/0again if you won, or at 0/+2 if you loose... Your armor is an unvaluable help, but on the long run, the use of CP for rallying (and the bonus of the general) is essential. And the flank attacks. It's a long, long struggle to bring down Pikes without flank attacks. the battle will be won by the one who can outflank the other and roll on his line. Terrain are decisive to protect your flanks and threaten his flanks.

When taking casualties from shooting, usually from LI or LH, should I rally or keep going? Legions don't take shooting hits often so rallying seems a good choice but I feel my opponents use that time to get an advantage over me.
Don't bother to rally, the lights are not your target. Chase them with LI, or LH or MI or Cav and concentrate on the opponent's MI/HI. Facing a shooter that can evade with only melee troops is a nerve test: charge to get them to fight or flee the table, sure this way you will have 1 shoot per turn, but if you try to rally, you will get 2 shoots per turn, and you won't advance...[/b]
Sparkles
Frondeur

MessagePosté le: Dim Avr 21, 2019 1:17 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thanks for the advice, I have managed to claw my win rate up to 50%!

Here are the army lists I've been using, they're pretty much just copies of the lists given earlier in this thread and the list in the Julian guide. What do you think of them?

List 1

Brilliant:
2 Legionaries Elite
2 Legionaries
1 LI Javelin
1 LI Bow
1 Elephant Mediocre
2 Spanish Scutarii

Ordinary:
2 Legionaries Elite
2 Legionaries
1 LI Javelin
1 Medium Cavalry

Ordinary Included:
2 Legionaries Elite
2 Legionaries
1 LI Javelin

Fortified Camp

List 2

Competent:
4 Legionaries
1 LI Javelin
1 Heavy Gladiator
1 Medium Cavalry

Competent:
4 Legionaries
1 LI Javelin
1 Heavy Gladiator
1 Medium Cavalry

Ordinary:
4 Legionaries
1 LI Bow Elite
1 Heavy Cavalry

Fortified Camp
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Army lists
Page 2 sur 2 Aller à la page Précédente  1, 2
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: