Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
elephant and heavy foot group, minimum charge distance
Page 1 sur 3 Aller à la page 1, 2, 3  Suivante
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Mer Avr 18, 2018 10:23 pm    Sujet du message: elephant and heavy foot group, minimum charge distance Répondre en citant
a mixed group heavy foot and elephant charge. the enemy evade and charger rolls minus. the rules say a mounted unit must move a minimum if 2ud. they make no reference to groups. How far does the elephant move?

1ud as part of a single group with heavy foot which moves together at its slowest speed and so all slow down
2ud as it is mounted and that is the minimum move, ending up ahead of its heavy foot friends, and so split from the group

What about if it rolls normal charge distance. Can the entire group choose to move together making make the minimum foot 1ud move and ignore that the elephant is mounted and must move 2ud?
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Zoltan
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Jeu Avr 19, 2018 10:18 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
In another post (see below) on evade moves and contractions, a conclusion was reached where a group threw a single die to determine its evade distance (short, long or normal) but then the circumstances were such that different units in the group could move different distances. Thus, the group would break up during the evade move.

To be consistent with that, I would say that if you elect to charge the elephant and HI as a group, you throw one die and each troop type obeys the restrictions that apply to it. If you throw down the HI will go 2-1=1UD; the elephant will go 3-1=2UD. This may well break up your group.

If you throw normal or up, you can maintain your group as both HI and elephant can move 2UD/3UD and respect all constraints.

Ya pays ya money and ya takes ya chances.
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Jeu Avr 19, 2018 11:31 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
there are precedents for a group compelled to break up in a charge

impetuous must move full
zocs on some
meeting different enemy groups that are not aligned
lights stopping to avoid heavies after an original target evades
etc
Kal5056
Javelinier

MessagePosté le: Ven Avr 20, 2018 12:09 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Groups that move at different rates must roll sepeeate variable move dice. Same with evaders 

Gino
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Ven Avr 20, 2018 8:45 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Kal5056 a écrit:
Groups that move at different rates must roll sepeeate variable move dice. Same with evaders 

Gino

For chargers if they charge as a group they roll as a group but may move different distances. 

For evaders the player may opt to roll as a group, but I'm not sure this alone allows the group to break up in the evade. ie without problems caused by need to avoid obstacles. 

Dave
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Avr 20, 2018 9:03 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I need to check on this, but I believe the principles are as follows. 

A group must stay together unless continuing a charge - effectively the cases cited. Nothing is mentioned about breaking the group up because the elephants are mounted. 

So if the group contains HI it moves at the speed of that unit type, and if the group rolls down it only goes 1UD - including the elephant. Throwing high is fine as others have said, as both types can move 3UD. 

Basically elephants are a kind of hybrid case of ‘mounted’ animal. They can move quite fast, but that is more a ‘quick walk’ than a ‘slow gallop’.
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Ven Avr 20, 2018 1:24 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
a group of hi and impetuous hi or mi could break up in a charge if all targets evade and the non impetuous choose to move the 1UD minimun
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Avr 20, 2018 2:13 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I don't feel particularly strongly about this. But I think it is clear.
p 40. #7 1st paragraph
rolled to adjust its movement distance (see point 5)

point 5 says do not have same speed, then different roll for each sub group.

Now if an umpire ruled differently I would not care. But I think this is clear. Different speed sub groups. roll separately.

HEH

where H are heavy elephant in in center that is 3 subgroups.
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Ven Avr 20, 2018 9:11 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hi

I am not massively botherred which way it is ruled. But would simply like to understand and for it to be consistent not. Ref point 5, as I read it that applies to the evader, but not to the charger, somewhat inconsistently I agree.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Avr 20, 2018 9:56 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I agree #5 applies to evader. But under #7 it says #5 is operational for charger too. It says so very explicitly.
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Sam Avr 21, 2018 3:19 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hmm, I'd completely missed this rule. I'd taken "(see point 5)" to be a reference to just the distance adjustments.

So if a group of impetuous and non-impetuous units of the same type declare a group charge and the enemy evades then the entire charging group must go the full distance? Because there's no reason to break up the group, such as an intervening ZoC. 

Also, in the case if the elephant and HI group, or Cav and LH, might this increase the chances of catching the evaders?

Dave
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Sam Avr 21, 2018 6:27 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Wow I had not fully thought that through, and never seen it played that way in UK. With a couple of sub groups rolling it does indeed increase the chance that at least part of the group rolls plus and catches the Evader
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Avr 21, 2018 7:45 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
you only get sub groups based on speed.
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Mer Avr 25, 2018 12:45 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I'm not convinced that:
Citation:
A D6 is rolled to adjust the movement distance (see point 5) only if all target units have evaded.

means we should apply the whole evade procedure to charging groups. It's more likely intended solely as a reference to the variable move distance adjustment. The latter interpretation is the way it's being played in the UK at the moment.

As Mike said, playing it the other way will change the balance of the game significantly.

An example:

X = Cv, O = LH, blue charging and red evading

XO

XO

less than 1UD apart and exactly aligned.

If the evaders roll as two groups (Cv and LH) and the chargers roll as one the evading Cv will be caught 1/3 of the time and the LH 1/9.

However, if the chargers also roll as two groups then a red unit will be caught 3/4 of the time.

For this reason alone it seems more sensible that charging groups should roll a single D6 for the VMD and only be allowed to separate if meeting an obstacle or ZoC or required to by rule.

Dernière édition par daveallen le Mar Mai 01, 2018 7:26 am; édité 1 fois
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Avr 25, 2018 2:55 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Well, french point of view?
At first , page 27 , (freely translated in English)" a group of unit move at slowest unit speed"

Page 40, chapter about evading (long chapter, isn't it?) bullet7 charging move "D6 is thrown to adjust moving distance only if all targets evade".

So , your group HI/Elephants (curious...) charging have a base distance move of 2 UD and all the group have the same adjusted distance move.
And , off course, it's not the same rule for evading troop. For them, the difference between troops with différent moving is expressly specified in chapter 5 page 39.

The only way to gain different charging move distance is declaring a charge unit by unit, or subgroup by subgroup, but it's not working if all ennemy group evade at first charge.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 1 sur 3 Aller à la page 1, 2, 3  Suivante
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: