Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
ZOC Query
Page 2 sur 3 Aller à la page Précédente  1, 2, 3  Suivante
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
kevinj
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Lun Fév 12, 2018 9:05 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
As I'm reading it W-Z can continue to advance towards A-D as Y and Z which are in the ZOC of D will continue to get closer to it (P34). Z will hit D first, at which point it is engaged in melee and ceases to exert a ZOC (P35). C will than become Ys most threatening enemy so it can continue to charge it.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Commodore
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Fév 12, 2018 9:36 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
AlanCutner a écrit:

The query about the angled charge is a simple one. As shown in the diagram unit Y enters the ZOC of unit D before any contacts are made, and before it enters the ZOC of any other unit. At this point the ONLY threatening unit is therefore unit D. So I assume unit Y cannot continue moving toward unit C. So in effect the groups charge is not legal. I accept that multiple CP's can be used to charge Z vs D first, and then Y vs C, etc.

Is this correct?

I think the charge direction ( the angle) is not valid. This move will cause unit Z to have a front point moving away from D ZOC (FAQ p 4 authorised moves in ZOC, closing the ennemy, 3rd and 4th bullet) . Also unit Y is moving away from Z ZOC. The charging line must wheel more toward the target line (but it is difficult to determine exactly how on the picture).
End state is : Z is closing D, Y is closing C and D etc.... up to contact and conformation.
Nightingale87
Gladiateur

MessagePosté le: Lun Fév 12, 2018 10:09 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I see no problema with the whole group making a pivot to en up completely aligned with the other group and then move foth until contact. After that...they will confotm to aligned corner to cornet with the most threatening enemy.
Zoltan
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 13, 2018 7:55 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
AlanCutner a écrit:

The query about the angled charge is a simple one. As shown in the diagram unit Y enters the ZOC of unit D before any contacts are made, and before it enters the ZOC of any other unit. At this point the ONLY threatening unit is therefore unit D. So I assume unit Y cannot continue moving toward unit C. So in effect the groups charge is not legal. I accept that multiple CP's can be used to charge Z vs D first, and then Y vs C, etc.

Is this correct?

No, I don't think it is correct. Alan I think you are needlessly creating a problem where none in practice exists.

If the charging line moves as a line in a single charge, then it is clear that Z will contact D before Y will contact D. Even if you say in theory that Y must somehow head towards D, when the lines finally contact, Z will have much more base width in contact with D than Y will have. So the whole charging line will slide a little to its right to neatly conform - 4 units versus 4 units. When this happens, Y will be fully conformed with C, and Z with D etc etc. Job done.

Of course if you have oodles of pips, you could move the units in multiple charges. If you first charge unit Y, it will enter D's ZOC first and therefore head straight towards D. But judging from your diagram more of Y will be in contact with C than with D. So again, when Y conforms it will move to its right and be fully aligned with C and not D. Z can then charge into D and W/X into A/B.

I really don't see any need to fret here. Just apply some common sense - 4 units fight 4 units.
Nightingale87
Gladiateur

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 13, 2018 10:00 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Commodore is technically right. You cannot (as per FAQ p.3) charge in a straight line, because Y would exit a ZoC.

However, I think there is no problema in charging with the whole group. You make a pivot move keeping Z´s left front corner fix and move from W´s front left corner aligning both groups. Thus preventing Y from getting out of the current ZoC of D and at the same time being in the ZoC of C. Then move forward with the whole group, and after comformation with "the most threatening enemy" you will end up having W vs A, X vs V, Y vs C and Z vs D.

I see no problema whatsoever with that.
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 13, 2018 12:02 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Those who are saying the charging line can pivot are ignoring that the line has already moved to get to the position in the diagram. Wheels are only allowed at the start of a charge and not part way through.

Sorry if anyone thinks I'm just being awkward. But saying 'common sense' should be applied doesn't really help if in a game rules are quoted that stop a 'common sense' move.

I think the answer is that its the responsibility of the charging player to move their group so that this situation doesn't occur. The described charge is illegal, and the obvious ('common sense') charge would have been straight toward (perpendicular) toward A-D such that W contacts B, X contacts C and Y contacts D,
Commodore
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 13, 2018 1:08 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
AlanCutner a écrit:
Those who are saying the charging line can pivot are ignoring that the line has already moved to get to the position in the diagram. Wheels are only allowed at the start of a charge and not part way through.

Sorry if anyone thinks I'm just being awkward. But saying 'common sense' should be applied doesn't really help if in a game rules are quoted that stop a 'common sense' move.

I think the answer is that its the responsibility of the charging player to move their group so that this situation doesn't occur. The described charge is illegal, and the obvious ('common sense') charge would have been straight toward (perpendicular) toward A-D such that W contacts B, X contacts C and Y contacts D,

Agree with your first point (obviously!) but that mean, due to this initial pivot angle, that this charge direction is not possible to this group. Another course of action must be used ( smaller separate groups or individuals units)
Nightingale87
Gladiateur

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 13, 2018 2:01 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I see now. I wasn´t aware of the initial pivot made before the situation in the picture.

Then I have to say that:

A) they can continue to pivot (if that was the last thin done before the picture

B) they have to stop right there because otherwise Y would exit ZOC illegaly.

But i find it REALLY difficult to happen. If it´s your turn and you want to charge you would slide or pivot so that you can charge with your whole gropu, OR, spend one extra CP to charge with Z and then with the rest of the group.

In other words, as the phasing player, I don´t see how you can block yourself this way!

NOW....

Going to the original picture. I see that the cata group can slide LESS than one MU and then charge forward avoiding the Zoc of the crossbows. OF course, the most threatening enemy wouldnt be A, but the end result if you would have overlaps on both sides for each player. Not too bad.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 13, 2018 3:45 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
AlanCutner a écrit:

Well to be fair, I am not sure how clear you were in they had already moved when the diagram appears.

You could be read to saying something else, which I want to discuss. But I apologize in advance if I am putting words or tone into your posting.

I would caution "responsibility of the charging player". This errs toward the DBM legalese. If a player orders a charge which is illegal. But they can make the same move legally then there is a community interest in saying, let me show you how to achieve what you are trying. That does not require one to say here is the smart move. But in many of my games an opponent makes a move that is not correct. I usually say, you can do that, but not like you did let me show you so they know the rules for next time. Similarly if an opponents says how do I do such and such I will help work it out. Just as if a person puts a unit somewhere and says I don't think you are on my flank. I think we can mutually measure and consent to the position before they move on. So, now to be clear I am not certain you are saying this, if an opponent orders an illegal move and you say they can't, but it would be legal in another fashion, its not very fun to play 20 questions. Can I do it this way. Can I do it this way.

Again if I am launching down a path that isn't right, I apologize.
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 13, 2018 6:46 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
AlanCutner a écrit:

Is this correct?

There're a couple of problems with the diagram:

1) the pivot should have stopped the instant Z entered the ZoC of D [see first two diagrams, page 5 FAQ];

2) it looks to me as if the group does not have sufficient movement allowance to get units W & X into contact with the cavalry.

Then, if we go back to the original diagram. Why didn't X Y & Z charge straight ahead leaving W to move up as a flank guard?

Dave
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 13, 2018 6:47 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I agree completely about helping an opponent. No problem there.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 13, 2018 10:46 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
AlanCutner a écrit:
I agree completely about helping an opponent. No problem there.

Sorry for getting so tense about it.

I just start to get twitchy if I think the bad old days come back.
Hippocleides
Frondeur

MessagePosté le: Mer Fév 14, 2018 11:22 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hi Alan

After initially thinking you should be able to charge at this angle, I now think probably not.
A charge by the whole group is not valid. The paths of X and Y are aimed at C and B, but go through the ZOCs of D and C before they get to their target, so are not allowed.
In effect, charges at an sharp angle are not allowed. Charges at a flatter angle, nearer a right angle, will be OK.

Referring to the original diagram of our game, I come to the conclusion that the troops in the angle are, effectively, not able to be contacted.
ethan
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mer Fév 14, 2018 12:24 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
daveallen a écrit:

There're a couple of problems with the diagram:

1) the pivot should have stopped the instant Z entered the ZoC of D [see first two diagrams, page 5 FAQ];

2) it looks to me as if the group does not have sufficient movement allowance to get units W & X into contact with the cavalry.

Then, if we go back to the original diagram. Why didn't X Y & Z charge straight ahead leaving W to move up as a flank guard?

Dave

I think these are important questions and without knowing more about how we got to the diagram the question can't be answered. I think charges are possible here in a couple different ways, but we need to know more about the whole situation.
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Mer Fév 14, 2018 12:47 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Background (and apologies for not being clear on this before) -
1. Group W-Z starts roughly parallel to A-D with W roughly opposite B.
2. Group W-Z wheels at start of move upto the ZOC of D, then moves straight forward into the ZOC (Z moving closer to D within the ZOC).
3. There is sufficient move distance for the wheel and move to contact if effects of ZOC's are ignored.
4. The aim of the moving player is to contact with W-Z against each of A-D with a single CP.

I think, and my opponent has now concurred, that such a charge is not legal due to the ZOC effects as discussed in this thread. However it is interesting that different views have been presented suggesting the rules aren't necessarily clear cut.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 2 sur 3 Aller à la page Précédente  1, 2, 3  Suivante
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: