Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Weather rules?
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
Nightingale87
Gladiateur

MessagePosté le: Sam Jan 20, 2018 7:34 pm    Sujet du message: Weather rules? Répondre en citant
I was wondering if there are some optional rules for weather and time of day. Some simple and elegant rules to match the ruleset would make it deeper and broader. It would be great for friendly games, and maybe even for some tournaments!
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
ethan
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Lun Jan 22, 2018 5:54 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I think some weather rules would be great for historical/friendly games, but would not really add anything to tournament games. If you have a random factor not really under any control that causes one side to have a major disadvantage it just isn't adding much to the game.

For an extreme example...The game would be more historical if we included the possibility that your army suffers from some sort of plague. So before deploying roll 4 dice if all come up ones your army has been decimated by a plague and you must eliminate 100AP from your list. This would be historical...but not very much fun.
Nightingale87
Gladiateur

MessagePosté le: Lun Jan 22, 2018 9:41 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Now that´s an extreme example isn´t it? DBM has always had rules for weather and visibility (and time of the day and night fighting) and there is no major problem with it.

Of course that the rules should be very basic compared to DBM so the ruleset doesn´t become over complex.

I don´t think that units with bows/crossbows having a -1 penalty to shoot because it´s windy and rainny would really "break" the game balance.
I´dont think that changing the evasion/pursuit distance dice would breake the game, eg. In order to simulate muddy terrain u could set the evade/pursuit dice to: 1-4 -1; 5-normal movement; 6 +1 MU.
A sandstorm can be simulated by the need of a 6 to get a flank march in turns after the second. I really don´t think that would break the game.
I´d love to face the decisión of dismonuting my cavalry (or not) because terrain is muddy.

I don´t think any of this things would break the game, I think it will only make it richer. Again, they could always be optional for tournaments.

I feel AdlG covers every aspect other games have covered in the past, but does so in a simpler, more elegant way, achieving really good results gamewise, history-wise and fun-wise. All the aspects but one...WEATHER!...I think that they developers culd come up with some rules as elegant and efficient as the rest of the rules.
ethan
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Lun Jan 22, 2018 9:45 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Nightingale87 a écrit:
Now that´s an extreme example isn´t it? DBM has always had rules for weather and visibility (and time of the day and night fighting) and there is no major problem with it.

It was to make a point. I thought the DBM weather rules actually were too extreme and took away from tournament games. Ever play in thirst?
Nightingale87
Gladiateur

MessagePosté le: Lun Jan 22, 2018 9:48 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Well then rules should have less impact in the game than the ones DBM had...it´s a matter of finding the right balance.

I think Adlg´s aproach on the representation in general is really good. If they used that same "efficient/simple/elegant still playable in tournaments" aproach they could come up with something great: something playable that adds a bit more flavour.
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Jan 25, 2018 4:54 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
For friendly games, just do your think, you don't need rules for that.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Jan 25, 2018 6:01 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Nightingale87 a écrit:
Well then rules should have less impact in the game than the ones DBM had...it´s a matter of finding the right balance.

I think Adlg´s aproach on the representation in general is really good. If they used that same "efficient/simple/elegant still playable in tournaments" aproach they could come up with something great: something playable that adds a bit more flavour.

I think there are some options for scenarios. I have thought about fortified walls.

But the problem with weather is to determine what level of impact you want.
Let's say rain. Do you want enough that subtracts 1 from the shooter? That is a pretty profound negative impact. So you could say intermittent bursts of heavy rain. If a player rolls a 6 for any Corps movement die roll. That shooting phase all missile fire over 1 UD receives a -1. I would have it end every player turn. So it is gusts of adverse weather.

You could do the same sandstorm and reduce all movement of over 2 UD but no unit is reduced below 2 UD due to sand.

With either you could also say sand/driving rain or snow no unit can use the free spontaneous charge at 1 UD that player turn either.

I would very much restrict this to only the player turn that the 6 is rolled. Meaning it stops before the new player has a turn. Of course if they roll a 6 its in effect. The sustained DBM process of several turns I think risks too much.
Nightingale87
Gladiateur

MessagePosté le: Jeu Jan 25, 2018 9:36 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
There are several ways of doing it. I agree with you when you say that it depends on the impact you want it to have. I say just "the right" impact. Sounds relative, I know but everything has an impact: some people may think that +2 vs everything for pikes is "too big an impact", some would say not enough. Rolling for terrain and the distance you can move it can be considered to have a "big/small impact".

The question we should answer is: Do we want the game to be unwinnable to one side given X wather condition?

I say NO.

Is that impossible to achieve?

I think NOT.

Elegant simple rules, with minor impact but sufficient enough to keep players making decisions.

Would the battle of Hydaspes have been the same under a different weather condition? Agincourt?

Bottom line is: It´s a historical wargame. It could try to recreate some weather conditions without it being a big drama.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Jan 25, 2018 10:12 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
So I think I did above what you asked.
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Jan 26, 2018 9:04 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hazelbark a écrit:

Yep. Basically you're going to be playing with a +/-1 factor for some troops, which is as significant as it gets in ADLG's basic factors, so that really limits whats worth modelling quite a lot. It also means it can't last too long.

You're also only going to want to be looking at modelling weather factors which disadvantage one side more than the other - if both sides are equally impacted, whats the point in, say, everyone on both sides moving more slowly for a few turns? That limits it even further.
Gingerdave
Barbare

MessagePosté le: Ven Jan 26, 2018 11:57 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
What about making a weather effect one of the 2-4 terrain choices?

This would simulate an army taking advantage of helpful weather to steal a march on an ill-equipped opponent.

The player would have to roll to get the effect, just the same as they have to roll to get a river or coast, and the terrain adjustment table could be used to change or remove the weather effect. Maybe instead of moving the terrain piece, a 1-2 leaves the weather in play all game, a 6 means it can be removed, 3-5 means it lasts a set number of turns or goes away on a dice roll.

Yes, the effect would have to be carefully balanced, but the more severe the effect, the harder it is to get that effect at set-up.
Nightingale87
Gladiateur

MessagePosté le: Ven Jan 26, 2018 12:29 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I already read some good "INITIAL" ideas that need to be worked on to get a balanced and fun set of weather rules.

All i´m saying is I think it can be done. The "weather affecting terrain" seems quite good actually. Weather affecting flank marches doesn´t seem unbalanced either.

Maybe the attacker can chose the "Season", and then roll on the season table for the weather and the terrain influence" Something really basic like rainy season/cold or summer/warm.

Again, I know (and that´s what i love about it ) that ADLG has its own personality. And I think it is within that personality that accurate/simple/balanced weather rules can be written.
Maverick2909
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Ven Jan 26, 2018 3:36 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
madaxeman a écrit:
Hazelbark a écrit:

Yep. Basically you're going to be playing with a +/-1 factor for some troops, which is as significant as it gets in ADLG's basic factors, so that really limits whats worth modelling quite a lot. It also means it can't last too long.

You're also only going to want to be looking at modelling weather factors which disadvantage one side more than the other - if both sides are equally impacted, whats the point in, say, everyone on both sides moving more slowly for a few turns? That limits it even further.

Well, I think it’s important how you write the rules. You’re right that giving everyone on the field a -1 to melee is pointless. However, giving everyone a -1 to shooting at over 2 UD, while affecting the whole table, would still be situational depending on the army.

I really like weather conditions and would like to see it added to ADLG. There were many historical battles where the weather played a key factor. 

I also agree with others that it should be less complicated than DBM and have simple impacts. I was thinking something like:

Precipitation: rain/snow causes -1 to shooting of over 2 UD
Mud: everyone moves at 2 UD

Those are just examples, but pretty simple implementation. I DO NOT like having a condition turned off and on based on what your command dice roll. I think it adds an uncenssscary level of tracking and complication that isn’t needed.

Just my $0.02

Stanton
ethan
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Sam Jan 27, 2018 2:12 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Gingerdave a écrit:
but the more severe the effect, the harder it is to get that effect at set-up.

Severe effects that are hard to get are IMO the definition of not fun - outside of a scenario designed around them. See my plague example earlier in the thread.
Nightingale87
Gladiateur

MessagePosté le: Sam Jan 27, 2018 6:42 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Is there anything in ADLG that has a "severe effect"?

I don´t think so. This could work just the same way.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: