Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Using Army 236 - Wars of the Roses
Page 1 sur 2 Aller à la page 1, 2  Suivante
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Army lists
Auteur Message
highlandbevan
Gladiateur

MessagePosté le: Dim Déc 24, 2017 1:03 pm    Sujet du message: Using Army 236 - Wars of the Roses Répondre en citant
I've been solo playtesting WOR battles to see how the rules work.

I believe historically you deployed Bowmen at the front and Billmen behind. The Billmen count as swordsmen so they are allowed to charge through the Bows.

However, it seems hard to co-ordinate this. If you allow the enemy to get within 2U while you still have the archers in the front, they charge you and smash the archers.

If you want to charge the enemy, you can't keep the Bowmen in front once you move within 2U, otherwise they will charge you as above.

If you mistime this, you lose the battle. The archers cannot evade or break off so they just die.

Has anyone managed to get historical tactics to work well with this army? I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Bevan
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
ethan
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Dim Déc 24, 2017 2:06 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I am not sure about the WotR, but in the 100YW my impression was that the longbow deployed on the flanks with the men-at-arms types in the center.

For "herce" like tactics I find a group of 3 H Sw, preferably one a Foot knight with a two longbowmen deployed on the each flank works pretty well.

I do not think in ADLG that the interpenetration is generally something to take advantage of, occasionally useful but deploying a long line of longbows backed up by a line of billmen generally doesn't work well.

The english bill/longbow armies can be quite effective, but are tricky to play.
ethan
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Dim Déc 24, 2017 2:10 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I do wonder if there would be justification for a (very expensive) troop type like

1/2 H Sw Armored HW + 1/2 Longbow Elite to be allowed in small numbers to represent the more integral bill/longbow formations at Agincourt. I wouldn't upgrade all the longbows but possibly 0-4

Now these would cost something like 16 points a pop...
Maverick2909
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Dim Déc 24, 2017 6:09 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I too have a WotR army and have dabbled in getting the interpretation to work. You have addressed one of the problems already, the second problem is the amount of points you're dedicating to only one UD of frontage (roughly 20-22 points). I've always been highly outnumbered and have lost when doing such tactics.

The author should really consider giving them the option of taking the units as 1/2 Heavy Sword 1/2 Longbowmen with the option to upgrade to elite, armor, 2HW, etc.

From what I've researched this was the most common tactic in the WotR. You had your archers and MAA very much interdispersed which is much different than the HYW tactics of archer blocks-MAA-archer blocks.

This, plus a change to the Feudal English list to add more longbowmen are some of the changes I think should be made. The English forces really are a mixed bag and aren't the most historically accurate. Another problem I have is mandatory elite for all the longbowmen.

I haven't heard anything back from the author, but hopefully we can have some dialogue and discussion about possible changes in the next update.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Jan 02, 2018 9:03 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I didn't think Agincourt had integrated MAA and Bow. I defer to others who have researched that battle.

Personally the timing works fine if you prefer that tactic.

Enemy advances to 4 UD. You shoot.
Your turn. You shoot.
Enemy advances to 2 UD. You shoot.
Your turn. Your Bill/MAA pass through. If you have the CP you turn your bow and have them back away.
Enemy has now been shot at 3 times. Decent odds of at least a single hit. They are now pinned and not going anywhere.

B
Clever enemy
Enemy advances to 4.5 UD.
You advance to 4 UD. You shoot.
Enemy advances to 2 UD. You shoot.
Your turn. Your Bill/MAA pass through. If you have the CP you turn your bow and have them back away.
Enemy has now been shot at 2 times. Some odds of at least a single hit. They are now pinned and not going anywhere.
Maverick2909
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Mar Jan 02, 2018 11:40 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Which is fine until you realize your spending 22 points per frontage to pull that stunt off. Not to mention if you happen to lose a Swordsman in the first round of combat it’ll hit one of the bow as well.
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Jan 03, 2018 11:29 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
when 2HW crossed longbow, use another pip to make longbows going away.
using this army is hightly depending of the terrain.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Jan 03, 2018 4:22 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Maverick2909 a écrit:
Which is fine until you realize your spending 22 points per frontage to pull that stunt off. Not to mention if you happen to lose a Swordsman in the first round of combat it’ll hit one of the bow as well.

I didn't say it was a wise use of resources. Just saying it mechanically works. English country lanes with tight deployment of armies between bad terrain I suppose.

The improbability of having a HI 2HW lost in the first round is rather high.
Both are +1.
6 v 1 is 7 v 2 plus 2HW is 8 v 2 = difference of 6 or 3 hits.

So it is likely to take two rounds of fighting. By then the longbow now in the 2nd rank should have the ability to move away.
Maverick2909
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Mer Jan 03, 2018 9:25 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Touche you certainly did not! That said, the way the list is currently structured just isn’t historically accurate for how we understood they fought. It wasn’t as if the archers fell behind the MAA, rather after the archers has fired their volleys of arrows they would move back into formation with the MAA and fight with sword and buckler or pick targets off with bow. There is no account or evidence of archers ever falling back behind the MAA and redeploying to another part of the field.

I maintain my assertion that at present, the list remains historically inaccurate and would benefit from a rework to having the unit type be updated to 1/2 Longbowmen 1/2 Heavy Swordsmen (with appropriate 2HW, armor, and elite upgrades).
Luddite
Archer

MessagePosté le: Sam Fév 17, 2018 7:00 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
"1/2 Longbowmen 1/2 Heavy Swordsmen"

Except that's not really how WotR armies fought. The archers and infantry remained separate.

The porposed tactics above seem to accurately represent WotR fighting i think. although there should be an extended archery duel until the arrows run out then the archers withdraw to let the tin cans fight it out... Laughing
ethan
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Dim Fév 18, 2018 7:10 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Luddite a écrit:

Except that's not really how WotR armies fought. The archers and infantry remained separate.

The question is if the "separation" here is depicted as the unit level or sub-unit level in ADLG. It may be that an ADLG frontage may have multiple blocs of Billmen/MAA and Bowmen. If this is the case it may be better depicted as a 1/2 longbow + 1/2 swordsmen unit despite being a bit different than the usual types of these units (often a line of spear/swords fronting the bowmen).

There is a fair amount of uncertainty as to the exact English formation in these wars...
Maverick2909
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Dim Fév 18, 2018 11:22 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Luddite a écrit:

The porposed tactics above seem to accurately represent WotR fighting i think. although there should be an extended archery duel until the arrows run out then the archers withdraw to let the tin cans fight it out... Laughing

I would contend that the game is abstract to the point where it would certainly constitute a 1/2 Longbowmen and 1/2 Heavy Swordsmen composition. in the WotR there wasn't a huge separation of archers and MAA. They very often intermingled and once combat was locked they were support for the MAA. There are little to no accounts of the archers fighting on their own or redeploying after the MAA had engaged.
Luddite
Archer

MessagePosté le: Lun Fév 19, 2018 9:16 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
At the Battle of Edgecote (26 July 1469) Lord Pembroke had no archers, so clearly the archers and infantry were not integrated in the manner thast a "mixed" unit would suggest.

At Bosworth (22 Aug 1485) Norfolk apparently deployed in "a long line" rather than the deep supported formations more typical of the conflict.

Perhaps the best solution is to have the army list allow both interpretations?
Black Prince
Prétorien

MessagePosté le: Lun Fév 19, 2018 9:29 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
What about classing them as MF swordsmen longbow? HF makes them too strong but MF can still get run down by knights if left unsupported in the open. While I agree classing English Longbow from the HYW onwards as LMI does not fully reflect their capability you have to be careful and no make them a super weapon which they were not.
ethan
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Lun Fév 19, 2018 2:05 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Black Prince a écrit:
What about classing them as MF swordsmen longbow? HF makes them too strong but MF can still get run down by knights if left unsupported in the open. While I agree classing English Longbow from the HYW onwards as LMI does not fully reflect their capability you have to be careful and no make them a super weapon which they were not.

I would not classify them all as mixed units, only some to represent at least some interpretations of English formations. I agree that at some/many battles there were significant formations of all longbows on the flanks in particular.

I am less concerned by super troops in ADLG than I have been in other rules sets. These would be extremely expensive (13-16 AP units depending on exact classification).

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Army lists
Page 1 sur 2 Aller à la page 1, 2  Suivante
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: