Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Crossbow/firearms factors
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Jeu Oct 26, 2017 9:51 am    Sujet du message: Crossbow/firearms factors Répondre en citant
P47 states that all units have a basic protection value of 1 against xbow and firearms (unless WWg or El). The table on P20 includes armour factors in the protection for foot knights and mounted troops but not others.

Are the values on P20 the 'basic protection values'? The note at the bottom of the page isn't completely clear on this. If this is the case it means crossbows/firearms cancel the effects of armour/heavy armour for foot knights and mounted, but not for others. Doesn't seem right to me.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Oct 26, 2017 10:01 am    Sujet du message: Re: Crossbow/firearms factors Répondre en citant
AlanCutner a écrit:
P47 states that all units have a basic protection value of 1 against xbow and firearms (unless WWg or El). The table on P20 includes armour factors in the protection for foot knights and mounted troops but not others.

Are the values on P20 the 'basic protection values'? The note at the bottom of the page isn't completely clear on this. If this is the case it means crossbows/firearms cancel the effects of armour/heavy armour for foot knights and mounted, but not for others. Doesn't seem right to me.

I suspect you are reading too much Barker into it. Everything is at protection 1 vs crossbows and firearms, that's the rule.

"basic protection factor" isn't a defined term in the rules, its just some words stuck together in a sentence written in English.
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Jeu Oct 26, 2017 10:06 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Further point. P16 states armour ability is added to the basic protection of 0 for mounted and 1 for foot. Then goes on to say the armour ability has already been included for foot knights and mounted on the table on P20.

Can this be taken to categorically mean basic protection is 0 for mounted and 1 for foot? And therefore it is 1 for both against crossbow/firearms, and armour ability is added after that?
fdunadan
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Jeu Oct 26, 2017 10:36 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
No.
ANY unit wich is shhot by crosbow or firearms has a protection of 1(except WWg and El who keep their protection, respectively 2 and 0)

This mean, if your crossbow is firing at a Medium cav-> protection 1 instead of 0
if your crossbow is firing at dismounted Knight -> protection 1 instead of 3
and if your crossbow is firing at an Elephant -> protection 0
ethan
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Jeu Oct 26, 2017 11:08 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
also worth noting that if you have a pavise this is added after the xbow adjustment so effectively a unit with a pavise is +2 vs. xbow.
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Jeu Oct 26, 2017 12:41 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
So protection is 1 against xbows (except WWg and El), and armour modifiers don't apply. This is how we've played it, but its not really what the rules say.
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Oct 26, 2017 10:27 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
AlanCutner a écrit:
Further point. P16 states armour ability is added to the basic protection of 0 for mounted and 1 for foot. Then goes on to say the armour ability has already been included for foot knights and mounted on the table on P20.

Can this be taken to categorically mean basic protection is 0 for mounted and 1 for foot? And therefore it is 1 for both against crossbow/firearms, and armour ability is added after that?

P16 states armour is added to the "base value of protection", not the "basic" protection value. So your hyper-literal reading of the rules is incorrect, as 'basic protection' simply isn't a 'thing'.

As I said before, I still think you're looking for something that isn't there.

These rules are written in English, not Barkerese!
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Jeu Oct 26, 2017 11:13 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
The question arose when adjudicating in a game involving a new player when crossbows shot at armoured infantry. I ruled the infantry had an overall protection of 1 (as seems to be the agreed rating on this thread).

However the player quite reasonably pointed out that P20 gives the start/basic/base (choose wording!) which becomes a 1 against crossbows. And then armour effects are applied for infantry, giving armoured infantry an overall +2 to their die roll. He accepted my ruling.

I don't think this is a matter of 'barkerese'. Its always helpful to be able to back up a ruling by pointing to the relevant section(s) in the rulebook. I found I couldn't definitively do that in this case.
fdunadan
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Ven Oct 27, 2017 12:20 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
The problem seems to be in yje word "basic"...and the armor...

At the beginning the factor is what is said in the page 20.

For mounted, armor is scripted and there is a ligne for "medium cavalry" and another for "heavy cavalry" wich quotes "with armor" (or Knights and Heavy Knights) and so the basic factor is given in the board... for the mounted.

For infantry, the protection factor DOES NOT include armor (except for "Knights on foot" wich are stated Prot: 3 heavy armor ). Armor (and the protection) must be added and dépends of the army list and then you have the "basic" factor.

If you have some Men at arms, they will be HI (so prot 1), and if you give then armor (and pay the price), they become HI armor (prot 2)

This is this protection wich is modified by Crossbow, Longbows or Artillery.

And after, you look at the cover, pavise,... to eventually increase the protection.
Maverick2909
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Ven Oct 27, 2017 2:27 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
So LMI bowmen are better in shooting than LMI crossbowmen? We have been playing where if you had a protection of more than 1 it brought you down to 1. However we haven't been giving units like LMI and medium cav a +1 when being shot at by crossbowmen. It seems the consensus here is we should be.
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Oct 27, 2017 9:17 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Maverick2909 a écrit:
So LMI bowmen are better in shooting than LMI crossbowmen? We have been playing where if you had a protection of more than 1 it brought you down to 1. However we haven't been giving units like LMI and medium cav a +1 when being shot at by crossbowmen. It seems the consensus here is we should be.

They are against some targets, not against others.

If you read the fairly detailed explanation of why crossbow factors are what they are on (I think) page 48 (?) it explains and spells out that their slower rate of fire makes them less effective than bows against some targets, but that their greater penetrating power makes them more effective than bows against against heavily armoured targets.

The way the factors work is entirely consistent with the explanation in the rules for why they work as they do.
Maverick2909
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Ven Oct 27, 2017 1:38 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. I'll have to inform my playgroup about our mistake. Makes longbowmen and medium cav even better than before.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: