Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Charging with a flank overlap
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
Maverick2909
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Lun Oct 09, 2017 4:30 pm    Sujet du message: Charging with a flank overlap Répondre en citant
Sorry if this question has been asked before but I couldn't find any reference. My question is about making a charge when your line is longer than the opponents.

Situation: you have a line of 3 HI and are one UD from your opponent who is two HI. Your units are lined up perfectly. You make a charge forward and two of your units make contact after one UD. Does the third unit keep moving his full distance and come into side base to side base contact? I don't see anything in the rules where it would make him stop, but it didn't feel right that he would just keep going and next turn be able to turn on the enemy.

Follow up question: consider the same scenario but the bases are slightly misaligned. After contact and a short slide, would he get to keep going forward?

Thanks!

Stanton
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
fdunadan
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Mar Oct 10, 2017 7:55 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
See special moves (p 36 of the french version) Very Happy
Dickstick
Légat

MessagePosté le: Mar Oct 10, 2017 10:25 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
You will find the English version has the same info on the same page.
Even sentences and paragraphs match which makes English v french games easy when you're looking for a rule.
No need to explain , just point to the page/paragraph /sentence "it's brilliant "
Maverick2909
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Mar Oct 10, 2017 11:11 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I guess what's throwing me off is on page 50 under the "Charge" paragraph it says:

"A unit that starts its movement already in contact with an enemy (e.g. only by a corner)..."

This would imply that you are indeed in contact by just the corners and thus when a group charges, the element that's on the flank does have to stop. I'll take a note from the other thread and provide illustration! Smile

AAA
^
XXXX

Group X is charging group A and they are one UD away and have 2 UD movment. By the rules I interpret it to end up like this after the charge:

AAA
XXXX

However, some people have questioned whether the X on the end can keep going and thus would end up like this after the charge:

AAAX
XXX

My logic was based on the paragraph quoted above where corner to corner is still a contact and thus the X must stop. Hope this makes sense and thanks for the responses.
fdunadan
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Mer Oct 11, 2017 12:40 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
if the unit you're in corner contact with is already engaged on its front, then you can slide along its side.
if you contact an ennemy unit alone (as in nobody engaged it on the front) you are contacting it and must stop and fight
Maverick2909
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Mer Oct 11, 2017 12:53 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Gotcha, so in this instance the third example is correct. Good to know thanks everyone for the responses.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Oct 11, 2017 3:04 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Maverick2909 a écrit:
Gotcha, so in this instance the third example is correct. Good to know thanks everyone for the responses.

No.

A lot is being mixed here you are reading fdunadan wrong as he and you are talking about different things.

1) If it is a charge. When you meet the enemy in the group that is wider, you will stop on contact. So in the case where you are lined up, you stop at corner to corner.

2) If the enemy is already engaged. Then your unit is moving to a support position and can move past the front corner.

3) Your situation where misaligned. Again charge or move to support. If it is a charge. At the moment of contact, units must conform. The unit that is not in contact cannot proceed then conform. It must decide its action at the instant of conform.

So no you cannot have your cake and eat it too.

Does that make sense?
Maverick2909
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Mer Oct 11, 2017 4:07 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
That's what I thought as the corner to corner would constitute contact and this is the most easily explainable interpretation given the wording of the rules so that's what we will go with. Thanks!

Stanton
plefebvre
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Oct 11, 2017 5:57 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
By reading these posts, i am not sure everybody is dealing with the same matter.

So let's sum up the rule about this question.

When a line of units is charging," it stops once contact with the enenmy is made " (page 36 Charge definition, 1st paragraph). Contact includes those units in corner to corner contact, in a support position. As a conclusion these units must stop as soon as they are in corner to corner contact.

If some units of the charging line are neither in front contact, neither in corner contact, they can continue their charge up to their maximum movement. (page 36, continuing charge , 1st paragraph).

Now if we consider the example where X line is charging A line :

AAA

XXXX

and where X player wishes to move X most right unit in a side to side support position against A (in the purpose to attack A on its flank in the following turn) . This is possible only by expanding one more CP to move the right X unit in this support position, only after the 3 other X units has charged and conformed.

I hope my english is good enough to be clearly understood. Wink Wink Wink

The technical board director

"sic transit gloria mundi"
Maverick2909
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Mer Oct 11, 2017 6:28 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Your English is spot on and makes perfect sense. Thank you for the clarifications.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: