Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Heavy Cavalry - Armour?
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
Garry Grant
Javelinier

MessagePosté le: Dim Fév 12, 2017 9:06 am    Sujet du message: Heavy Cavalry - Armour? Répondre en citant
Hello. Have been playing ADLG for a while now but only joined the Forum today. I find the Forum very handy for ideas and clarity on the Rules.

Hoping I can obtain some guidance on a troublesome issue.

Had a hard fought Pyrrhic versus Camillan Roman game today - case of MAD with both armies breaking! Pyrrhus and one of his generals died.

We had a 'discussion' we were unable to resolve. Case in point relates to p20 - the line for Heavy Cavalry states:

Heavy Cavalry...........Same as Medium cavalry + armour. The note clarifies that the protection value of .......heavy cavalry already takes into account their armour ....abilities.

My opponent and I disagreed as to whether this ability applies to both shooting and hand to hand melee.

Most grateful if we can clear this up. We are taken with ADLG which provides a good game with a level of subtlety that surprises us each game.

Thanks

Garry
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Dim Fév 12, 2017 9:25 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
The key thing here is that the "Protection" factor is only used in Shooting.

For HC, their Protection factor (unusually) states that it includes the benefit of Armour - they don't get an additional +1 if they lose.

Other "Armiured" troops - say, Medium Swordsmen with Armour - DO get a +1 if they lose a shooting dice-off

In Combat, you use the troops combat factors vs each other, plus any extras such as Armour. So, In combat, HC get a +1 if they lose against unarmoured troops. The "protection" factor isn't used at all.

(This is a common one when you start playing!)
Garry Grant
Javelinier

MessagePosté le: Dim Fév 12, 2017 11:49 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Madaxeman

Thanks for that.

Understand protection applies against shooting.

The issue arose with the HC after hand to hand combat. The HC lost against Roman HI, was I entitled to apply a 'moderation' in respect of the HC's 'armour'?

Just to be absolutely sure. Does your comment - "In combat, HC get a +1 if they lose against unarmoured troops" - mean the +1 armour 'save' would not apply in combat against HI because they are similarly armoured?.

Garry
Wagmestre
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Dim Fév 12, 2017 2:34 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Yes, Hc is Mc with armour.
(and Hi is NOT Mi with armour...)

I have not my rulebook yet, but think it's clearly explained in the "troops types" part.
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Dim Fév 12, 2017 3:34 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
As that chap said Cool

"protection" is only for shooting - as on P16 - 'the protection bonus for knights on foot and mounted units is already included in the unit characteristics table"

HC fights as MC + armour.

HI is HI - they can sometimes have armour, but do not always have it.

Triumverate Roman Legionaries are "Heavy Swordsmen, Armour, Impact" They have Armour, and so HC losing to them would not be able to add +1 as they both have Armour

Patrician Roman Decadent Legionaries are just "Heavy Swordsmen". They don't have armour, so HC losing to them would add +1 to their overall score, as the Decadent Legions don't have armour
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Dim Fév 12, 2017 3:46 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
This is one of the niggles I have with the rules -

The terms Heavy and Medium are used to describe different properties of troops:

formation for infantry
    armour status for cavalry and knights (with different meanings for each)

And if that wasn't confusing enough, Light is used as a generic description for both foot and mounted skirmishers, but not for chariots where it's used with Heavy to distinguish between unarmoured cavalry and armoured knights.

The whole thing needs an overhaul imo. Rolling Eyes

Dave
Garry Grant
Javelinier

MessagePosté le: Dim Fév 12, 2017 8:57 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Many thanks for the comments - hard for my tired grey cells but I think I get it now!

Onwards and upwards, hoping we can try Pontic versus Marian Roman next.

Garry
Snowcat
Vétéran

MessagePosté le: Dim Fév 12, 2017 11:03 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Is the ambiguity/consistency issue an error in translation to English from French, or is it there in French as well?

Cheers
fdunadan
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Lun Fév 13, 2017 9:03 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
it is also in French with "cavalerie moyenne" / "cavalerie lourde" (with armor)
and "infanterie moyenne"( MI) /"infanterie lourde (HI)

and same for knights...
you've got to remember that medium/heavy is for the protection in mounted and for the dispersion for foot troops.

one trick is to call the unit "cavalerie" when unarmored and "cavalerie lourde" when armored
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 14, 2017 10:24 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Snowcat a écrit:
Is the ambiguity/consistency issue an error in translation to English from French, or is it there in French as well?

Cheers

In france, the distinction between light and heavy chariots is following the number of horses. Notes light chariotry with bow has a skirmish capacities: the can evade and shooting on rear.

But it's fun for me to see in english the previous post which have been argued in frenc 3 or 4 years ago.
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 14, 2017 10:27 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
fdunadan a écrit:
it is also in French with "cavalerie moyenne" / "cavalerie lourde" (with armor)
and "infanterie moyenne"( MI) /"infanterie lourde (HI)

and same for knights...
you've got to remember that medium/heavy is for the protection in mounted and for the dispersion for foot troops.

one trick is to call the unit "cavalerie" when unarmored and "cavalerie lourde" when armored

And we have spécial terms too.
IE we have fantassins, lanciers et infanterie, translated by footmen, lancers and infantery but the terms used in english are, i think, swordmen, lancer and infantery.
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 14, 2017 10:12 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
lionelrus a écrit:
But it's fun for me to see in english the previous post which have been argued in frenc 3 or 4 years ago.

I'm not surprised to hear it's an old argument - just needed to get it off my chest Smile

lionelrus a écrit:
we have fantassins, lanciers et infanterie, translated by footmen, lancers and infantery but the terms used in english are, i think, swordmen, lancer and infantery.

Careful. Lanciers are not Lancers, but Spearmen.

A false friend as we say in English - un faux ami?

Dave
Commodore
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Fév 15, 2017 9:59 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
daveallen a écrit:
lionelrus a écrit:

I'm not surprised to hear it's an old argument - just needed to get it off my chest Smile

lionelrus a écrit:
we have fantassins, lanciers et infanterie, translated by footmen, lancers and infantery but the terms used in english are, i think, swordmen, lancer and infantery.

Careful. Lanciers are not Lancers, but Spearmen.

A false friend as we say in English - un faux ami?

Dave

You are right false friend is "faux ami" in French with the same meaning.
Note : for French people, we consider there is a lot of false friends in English.
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Fév 15, 2017 11:27 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Perfidious Albion, isn't it?

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: