Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Terrain Adjustment
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
A4
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Dim Nov 01, 2015 4:54 pm    Sujet du message: Terrain Adjustment Répondre en citant
An attacker, not a strategist, has chosen only two pieces of terrain. That leaves him with two chances to adjust the terrain.

Does he:

A.

1. Choose a piece of terrain.

2. Roll a dice for that piece of terrain.

3. Choose another piece of terrain.

4. Roll a dice for that piece of terrain.

Or

B.

1. Choose both pieces of terrain.

2. Roll a dice for each in turn.

In my experience most players follow option B, but it is not altogether clear that they have to. I know that the difference looks small - but A can see how things rolled for his first piece before choosing his second. Even though, as a non-Strategist, he cannot return to the same piece again, the result of the first roll might influence his pick for the second piece.

Alan
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Dim Nov 01, 2015 6:45 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
In the Scottish League we played method A
babyshark
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Dim Nov 01, 2015 7:56 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
In the US we have always followed method A as well.

Marc
Saint-Genies
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Lun Nov 02, 2015 10:20 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Same thing in France.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Nov 02, 2015 11:07 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
A is rather clear I think when reading the full terrain adjustment rules of page 68-69.

Also the strategist would be very weak in this area if you had to decide before you rolled if you would re-roll.
belinconnux
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 03, 2015 9:24 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
The defender choose his terrains then the attacker choose his terrains.
The defender place his terrain then the attacker do the same.
The attacker try to control terrain then the defender do the same.
A4
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 03, 2015 12:07 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hazelbark a écrit:
A is rather clear I think when reading the full terrain adjustment rules of page 68-69.

Also the strategist would be very weak in this area if you had to decide before you rolled if you would re-roll.

No. B would make a strategist relatively stronger. The final bullet point on p 69 makes it clear that he gets to try to shift / remove a piece of terrain after the normal allocation of shifts / removals have been rolled for. There can be no doubt about that, which is why I took care to exclude a strategist from my question.

The question is do other terrain choices share the benefit a strategist has of seeing what has been rolled beforehand?

Everybody who has answered has gone for option A. That means that a
non-strategist who has two terrain shifts points at a piece of terrain. Rolls a dice to see if he can shift / remove it. Ponders. Then decides which piece of terrain he would like to try to shift / remove with his next roll. As this is not the strategist's roll he cannot return to the first piece rollled for and have another go at it. However, he does get to see what that roll was before making his second choice.

Under option B he must make both choices before rolling any dice.

That can make a difference.

Say that you'd quite like to move a couple of forests away from your right flank. But you really, strongly, want to move a hill on the left towards your side of the table. Unfortunately there's a field in the way, which you need to move before being able to move the hill.

Under option A you can roll for the field. If the roll gets it out of the way you can then try to move the hill. If you failed to move the field you can at least try to move one of the forests.

Under option B you must gamble. Either pick the field and the hill, hoping your first roll will be good. Or play safe and pick the two forests.

I ask because my club is evenly split between options A and B. We are hosting a tournament at the weekend, so I'd like to know what's right before then. At them moment it is looking like A.

Alan
footslogger
Vétéran

MessagePosté le: Mar Nov 03, 2015 1:36 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hmmm. I don't see why one would say "B" is required. The text says, "A player selects an element and rolls a dice:...." Sounds like "A."
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 04, 2015 12:03 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
The key point here is that the player needs to move one piece of terrain to free up the location where he intends to move the second piece (or other similar reasons). Failure to move the first piece defeats this plan, forcing the player to adopt an alternative strategy.

The above considerations are why I prefer option A, to choose and then roll for each piece of terrain in turn.

I might add that if the player has a Strategist, I see no reason why he should not use the reroll on the first terrain piece before attempting to move the second. It is quite possible that this was the author's intention, but was 'lost in translation'.

The point is that Terrain plays such an important part of this game that this simple question can have significant importance.

, allowing the Strategist the option of re-rolling the first roll
belinconnux
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 04, 2015 8:24 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
There is probably some mistake with translation ...
It'i clear that defender choose all terrains he want (with rules limits) THEN attacker does the same.
Defender roll dice for each of his terrains THEN attacker does the same.
Attacker try to control some terrains (with rules limits) THEN Defender does the same.
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 04, 2015 12:38 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
It seems that it's A everywhere in the world where these rules are played.

So, I think it's A
JohnTheBoring
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Mer Nov 04, 2015 2:17 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Seems to me if the rules do not explicitly say which when there is an option then a player can do whichever he chooses.

So if they allow A it is A... unless a player wants to do B instead for some reason.
A4
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Jeu Nov 05, 2015 11:42 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
JohnTheBoring a écrit:
Seems to me if the rules do not explicitly say which when there is an option then a player can do whichever he chooses.

So if they allow A it is A... unless a player wants to do B instead for some reason.

John, that's a good point. I'd rather assumed that terrain adjustment would be analogous to terrain selection - where you pick the lot before rolling to see where any of it goes. However, as you say, in the absence of an explicit rule it is natural that players should be left to do whatever they want, which which will always be option A.

The main thing is that we all do the same. And, as the Mad Axeman points out, everyone (including, I think, at least one player from France) has plumped for option A.

Alan
belinconnux
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Nov 06, 2015 8:06 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
If I understand "choose a piece of terrain" as "choose a piece of terrain in the pool of 2-4 I selected before" so I'm agree with you. Razz

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: