Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Deployment
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
Joseph DiCamillo
Frondeur

MessagePosté le: Sam Oct 17, 2015 1:07 pm    Sujet du message: Deployment Répondre en citant
Recently, at our ADLG tournaments, we have had some discussion regarding deployment.
The English rules say “…must indicate the following: The position of each army corps not making a flank march relative to the others.â€
They also go on to say “The player only has to indicate the position of his army corps relative to each other, e.g. which corps is deployed in the centre, which is on the right wing…â€
E.G. means ‘for example’, and is not a restrictive statement. In fact, the e.g. infers that there is more than one possibility.
There is no restriction, in the rules, that your deployment could be Corps 1 in front of Corps 2 and 3. Corps 2 in front of Corps 3, thus deployed in column. Or you could deploy with corps 1 and corps 2 on the front right and left, and corps 3 behind (in reserve). This also passes the ‘does it make historical sense’ test.
I understand that there are different interpretations, and I am requesting clarification, and if the above is not the intent of the rules, that the FAQ be revised.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
footslogger
Vétéran

MessagePosté le: Sam Oct 17, 2015 2:20 pm    Sujet du message: Re: Deployment Répondre en citant
Joseph DiCamillo a écrit:

I understand that there are different interpretations, and I am requesting clarification, and if the above is not the intent of the rules, that the FAQ be revised.

Agreed. I see nothing in the rules that would prevent one from saying "behind" as a description of one relative to the others. If that is not the intent, it should be in the FAQ. Right now all I could say is, "I read a comment from some anonymous guy I've never heard of on the forum."
Brave Coeur
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Dim Oct 18, 2015 3:17 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
The only options are to lay out your corps in a line: 1-2-3 or 2-1-3 or 3-2-1 or 3-1-2 or 2-3-1 or 1-3-2.

No "column".
see the post recent post on french part.
See you
footslogger
Vétéran

MessagePosté le: Dim Oct 18, 2015 5:40 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Brave Coeur a écrit:
The only options are to lay out your corps in a line: 1-2-3 or 2-1-3 or 3-2-1 or 3-1-2 or 2-3-1 or 1-3-2.

No "column".
see the post recent post on french part.
See you

While I believe you, it needs to be in the FAQ because it's not in the rules, or at least not in the English translation.

I think it's probably even worse to refer to a google translation of a forum post.
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Dim Oct 18, 2015 8:48 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Brave Coeur is correct here.

Battle Plan P69 is quite explicit In the English translation and says that the commands are specified as "left, centre and right", not vanguard, centre and reserves or similar.
P71 Deploying Army Corps is also explicit that the 'zones' containing each corps may not overlap, and others have confirmed that this also applies to any troops deployed / revealed under Ambush markers. It seems that the intention is for a zone to extend from one long edge to the other, athough this is not stated explicitly. It is this bit that seems to have been 'lost in translation'.

This does not prevent a player from using his first move to reposition or even swap different cormmands through the use of multiple moves, but the player does need to ensure that he has allowed sufficient space to achieve this. It may also require conscious positioning of Ambush markers and leading Light units to constrain the leading enemy units.

Note, you may deploy an entire command under Ambush markers (still in their separate zones), in which case this "off-table" command can be diced for at the start of each turn (see p70 last para). The location of the command is only revealed if it throws a 5 or 6 and does not appear as a flank march, at which point the player must decide whether or not to use the pips (placing the relevant units before moving them).

The point is that there is some flexibility in how troops are deployed, but it has been decided for various reasons that deploying parts of the army as a vanguard and/or reserve command is not allowed, even though this was done historically (note, this does not stop you doing this in 'friendly' games) Wink
footslogger
Vétéran

MessagePosté le: Dim Oct 18, 2015 10:32 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ramses II a écrit:
Brave Coeur is correct here.

Battle Plan P69 is quite explicit In the English translation and says that the commands are specified as "left, centre and right", not vanguard, centre and reserves or similar.

It says no such thing explicitly. "Left, center, and right" are listed as an example. The rule is how the commands are deployed relative to each other. If you want it to say that only left, center, and right are allowed. It should say that.

Ramses II a écrit:

P71 Deploying Army Corps is also explicit that the 'zones' containing each corps may not overlap, and others have confirmed that this also applies to any troops deployed / revealed under Ambush markers. It seems that the intention is for a zone to extend from one long edge to the other, athough this is not stated explicitly. It is this bit that seems to have been 'lost in translation'.

Agreed.

Ramses II a écrit:

The point is that there is some flexibility in how troops are deployed, but it has been decided for various reasons that deploying parts of the army as a vanguard and/or reserve command is not allowed, even though this was done historically (note, this does not stop you doing this in 'friendly' games) Wink

Once again, I agree with the intent. But if I were judging a comp and someone wrote on their battle plan, "Corps I in front, Corps II in the middle, and Corps III behind," there is no text in the rules or the FAQ that I could point to to say they were wrong.

It could be fixed by a single line in the next iteration of the FAQ.
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Dim Oct 18, 2015 11:14 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I do agree with the suggestion about a FAQ. Please check Lionelrus' reply and following comments here, which provides the same reply. Also that Hazelbark has had to repeat himself several times and also considers the translation to be a bit imprecise.
hcaille
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Lun Oct 26, 2015 10:03 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hello

I confirm that corps shoud be deployed only as Center, Left Wing and Right wing. All units in a corps must be deployed in a rectangular zone and zones cannot be superposed.

This is not possible to deploy one corps behind another one. This is for avoid the "flying corps" syndrom Wink

So deployment is very simple to avoid any problem.
I hope it's clear

Regards
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Envoyer un e-mail Visiter le site web de l'utilisateur
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Oct 27, 2015 9:23 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Many thanks for the confirmation.

To avoid future confusion and ensure that the language (and the translations) are clear, could you add that each "rectangular zone" extends from the long edge up to the centre-line.
JohnTheBoring
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Mar Oct 27, 2015 1:36 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
If you really want to deploy in three lines you can do it on the first move, depending on the troops in the command and your pips.

Deploy so your front command is in the centre, and move that forward first.
Turn and move the second command behind the first, led by the general so you can move three times.
Do the same with the third command, which you have carefully deployed further back so it can fit behind the second.

Obviously this works best with commands that can all move as one group with the general, and do not include unmanoeuvrable troops. If you want to move a side command to the front you could deploy the centre further back to allow this.

Light troops deployed in front to slow the enemy while this is going on would be wise! Also if you are the defender be careful of enemy light horse getting within 4DU on the first move to stop this!

Twisted Evil

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: