Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
We're all Strategists!
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Others topics
Auteur Message
Uncle Meat
Barbare

MessagePosté le: Dim Déc 14, 2014 11:51 pm    Sujet du message: We're all Strategists! Répondre en citant
I read the review of the rules on Mad Axeman's website, and purchased the rules a few weeks ago. It all looks great. I played several 200 point games and the mechanics work well too. All wargamers will nit-pick an army list and I'm no exception. The part of the game that makes me crazy are the decisions about who is and who isn't a strategist.

In a game about battles, the strategy of war or a campaign rarely should intrude. Instead, as the FOG system uses "Great" Leaders, are what should be potential Generals for certain lists. I think we can all agree that Alexander, Hannibal, and Caesar are all great leaders AND strategists, but Vercingetorix while a charismatic Gallic leader, was no Strategist! I think we could all look at the army lists and say "Where is _______?" For my part I say where is King David? If Vercingetorix is a Strategist so is David and many, many other leaders.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
belinconnux
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Déc 15, 2014 8:34 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Certainly it's true. But ...
I think "tactician" will be a better word than "strategist" cause AdG il designed for battle no for campaign.
Did Alexander a strategist? No, he was just advance in persia and destroy all the army in front of him without fine manoeuvre before.
Was Hannibal a strategist? Yes cause he used very fine manoeuver. And he was a tactician too.
Did Vercingétorix a strategist? He had a strategy to tired cesar'army and cut his supply road. He failed because of Cesar and Gallish mood. And don't forget something very important : Vercingetorix was GAULOIS! Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing
Uncle Meat
Barbare

MessagePosté le: Lun Déc 15, 2014 9:34 pm    Sujet du message: Strategist Répondre en citant
Alexander marched down the coasts of Asia Minor, Levant, and Egypt to eliminate Persia's ability to field a Navy which could threaten his line of Communication back to Pella. This strategy also kept him near his own Navy in case his land battles became disastrous.
belinconnux
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Déc 16, 2014 8:58 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
This is fondamental, not genius.
I never roll a six
Gladiateur

MessagePosté le: Mar Déc 16, 2014 9:53 pm    Sujet du message: Strategists Répondre en citant
I think of the term "strategist" in the AdlG as "exceptional general". Having a strategist does not guarantee that your army's command system will be good.

Whilst you can have Vercingetorix as your CinC in a Gallic army, you will not have any command points left for other generals, because the Gallic army command rating is 2, so your other two Corps in a standard 200 pt army will be commanded by Ordinary commanders. Also, the Gallic army, even with Vercingetorix in command, can never have an initiative die roll modifier of more than +3.

Compare that to Alexander the Great (list 40). With a strategist in command, a command rating of 6 and the capability of having 6 units of LH, that army can have an initiative drm of +6.

Therefore the overall army command rating is in my view just as important as having a strategist, although I think strategists are well worth having.
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Déc 16, 2014 11:06 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
adg is a tactic game , so stratege is a good tacticien. So do I Very Happy
belinconnux
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Déc 17, 2014 1:16 pm    Sujet du message: Re: Strategists Répondre en citant
I never roll a six a écrit:
I think of the term "strategist" in the AdlG as "exceptional general". Having a strategist does not guarantee that your army's command system will be good.

Razz I agree. A "strategist" could be a charismatic leader too.
Uncle Meat
Barbare

MessagePosté le: Dim Mar 08, 2015 11:19 pm    Sujet du message: Strategist is really an inspired Leader Répondre en citant
ADLG uses a general who is a strategist to affect the initiative and terrain of a battle field. I think this is reasonable. I disagree that all Strategists = Inspired Commanders. Richard the Lionheart and Vercingetorix were very inspirational battlefield commanders but unexceptional strategists. King David was both, but where is he listed? Inspired leaders? How about Joshua? Barak? Josiah? Judah Maccabee? or John Hyrcanus?

If I concentrate on Israelite/Jewish armies, this is because I tend to build these.

Uncle Meat
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Mar 09, 2015 5:31 am    Sujet du message: Re: Strategist is really an inspired Leader Répondre en citant
Uncle Meat a écrit:
ADLG uses a general who is a strategist to affect the initiative and terrain of a battle field. I think this is reasonable. I disagree that all Strategists = Inspired Commanders. Richard the Lionheart and Vercingetorix were very inspirational battlefield commanders but unexceptional strategists. King David was both, but where is he listed? Inspired leaders? How about Joshua? Barak? Josiah? Judah Maccabee? or John Hyrcanus?

If I concentrate on Israelite/Jewish armies, this is because I tend to build these.

Uncle Meat

And Moshe dayan? Very Happy
belinconnux
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Mar 09, 2015 12:52 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Toi tu vas fâcher ... Rolling Eyes
Uncle Meat
Barbare

MessagePosté le: Mar Mar 10, 2015 12:22 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Just hoping to hear back from the author on why he did not choose to use the term inspired rather than strategist. Also would like to understand his reasons on why commanders like some of those mentioned above were not listed when the standard of Vercingetorix is applied.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Others topics
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: