Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Clarification on the "Evade adjusted movement distance&
Page 2 sur 4 Aller à la page Précédente  1, 2, 3, 4  Suivante
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
footslogger
Vétéran

MessagePosté le: Ven Jan 22, 2016 9:24 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
ethan a écrit:
Ramses II a écrit:

Also you have come to a different conclusion regarding the definition of the target, which you believe is "ANYONE" in range. This seems to fly in the face of the example provided by the author in the FAQ, where the "Target" is only the HI, not the HI and intervening LI.

I read what the author wrote in the FAQ thread.

"When you declare a charge, you must specify your target and this target must be in charge range. If all targets in charge range (i.e distance of movement) evade, then you must adjust your movement distance by rolling a dice. "

See the post by hcaille at date/time Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:56 am

This is the exact same text as is in the FAQ. I don't see how you can say that the FAQ is unclear but the thread is. But I feel like that's not really the point....

In the case that Dan had
Citation:
C 1 2

C is charging. 1 evades. If 2 is within a normal move and path of C then there is NO roll for adjusted distance.

I absolutely agree with Dan's conclusion.

I *think* that what you are saying is 2 is a target of the charge based on the wording in the thread and the FAQ. I disagree, and I fail to see what is in the thread or the FAQ that would make you think that.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
babyshark
Légionaire

MessagePosté le: Ven Jan 22, 2016 9:47 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I think I see the problem. Initially, the charge target has to be 1, because 2 cannot be "seen" by C when the charge is declared (as 1 might choose not to evade).

Herve's post can be read to say that if 1 evades, then C rolls to check for charge distance, because "all targets" would have evaded. Herve's post can also be read to take as implied that 2 becomes a target after 1 completes its evade move because 2 is in range and in charge path. If that is what Herve meant (and that is clearly how Dan reads it) then there is no roll for charge distance, because "all targets" have not evaded, and C simply piles into 2.

FWIW, I have been reading it the same way as Dan.

Marc
footslogger
Vétéran

MessagePosté le: Ven Jan 22, 2016 10:01 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I wonder if it would be helpful to try a different angle.

When I think about this I think about it in terms of the charger designating his targets, per step 1 on pg 38. That can include a unit behind a unit that can evade, but I don't see any language that makes me think it must include that other than a unit that would be contacted by a minimum charge constraint (within 1UD for foot, 2UD for mounted, or nomal move distance for impetuous troops). Once the charger has declared, then if all targets he declared evade, you make a roll.
ethan
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Sam Jan 23, 2016 12:19 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
babyshark a écrit:
Herve's post can be read to say that if 1 evades, then C rolls to check for charge distance, because "all targets" would have evaded. Herve's post can also be read to take as implied that 2 becomes a target after 1 completes its evade move because 2 is in range and in charge path. If that is what Herve meant (and that is clearly how Dan reads it) then there is no roll for charge distance, because "all targets" have not evaded, and C simply piles into 2.
Marc

It has been directly asked of Herve and the bit in bold is what he responded with. If you think this is incorrect or that he responded with something else then ask Herve a question that you think is clear and get him to respond again.

FWIW I initially thought that the unbolded bit was the correct and intended rule and Dan asked Herve directly - on Skype I believe - and the bold bit is what came back.
footslogger
Vétéran

MessagePosté le: Sam Jan 23, 2016 2:21 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
ethan a écrit:

FWIW I initially thought that the unbolded bit was the correct and intended rule and Dan asked Herve directly - on Skype I believe - and the bold bit is what came back.

On Skype? Put it in the FAQ....
footslogger
Vétéran

MessagePosté le: Sam Jan 23, 2016 2:53 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
So I've been pushing on this just for clarity in the rules. As the rules and FAQ are written now that in the situation Dan mentioned where
C 1 2

C is charging and 2 is on path and in range, C could declare a charge on 1 and not 2 is what I would rule if I were judging a tournament. With the people I game with referring to something on a forum or in a private conversation with the author, well, that wouldn't fly.

I don't think I care much in the end whether my interp or Dan's interp ends up being the way it gets clarified really, I just want it clarified and public.

I spent some time thinking about the situation and have come up with a couple of situations where it does make a difference though. We've had a lot of situations where C wanted to charge 2 and if it had to make a roll after 1 evaded and stopped short that would be an odd situation in the game.

I don't think I've ever had a situation where C wanted to charge 1 but not 2 but I thought of a couple of examples. These haven't come up in any of our games but they are somewhat conceivable.

Situation 1. C is a bowmen, 1 is a light infantry with bow, 2 is a cav. C would rather not be shot at by the light infantry with bow but can't move into it and force it to flee because he can't charge the cav.

Situation 2. C is a light horse that isn't impact and 1 is another light horse (perhaps in bad shape), 2 is heavy foot (within 5 UDs). C can't charge because it can't charge heavy foot.

I'm not sure if C being unable to charge in either of those situations is a bad thing from a way the game works perspective but both of them are conceivable and I imagine would strike the owner of C as odd.

FWIW.
Nostrebor
Archer

MessagePosté le: Sam Jan 23, 2016 9:33 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
footslogger a écrit:

I don't think I've ever had a situation where C wanted to charge 1 but not 2 but I thought of a couple of examples. These haven't come up in any of our games but they are somewhat conceivable.

Situation 1. C is a bowmen, 1 is a light infantry with bow, 2 is a cav. C would rather not be shot at by the light infantry with bow but can't move into it and force it to flee because he can't charge the cav.

Situation 2. C is a light horse that isn't impact and 1 is another light horse (perhaps in bad shape), 2 is heavy foot (within 5 UDs). C can't charge because it can't charge heavy foot.

I'm not sure if C being unable to charge in either of those situations is a bad thing from a way the game works perspective but both of them are conceivable and I imagine would strike the owner of C as odd.

FWIW.

Situation 1 and 2 was the original intent (or thought) of the question. Assuming 1 can evade, C is not impetuous and 2 is not within the minimum charge range of C is it possible for C to declare a charge only against 1? If 1 evades C is not forced to hit 2 (it moves 1 or 2 MUs).

I will grant you this rarely happens.
ethan
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Dim Jan 24, 2016 7:08 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
footslogger a écrit:
ethan a écrit:

It is in the FAQ, you just want to re-interpret the FAQ.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Dim Jan 24, 2016 8:06 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Let me expound.
1) There was no Skype.

In the beginning. I too believed the rule was about the "target". I heaped opprobrium on those who disagreed. But I was repeatedly asked to get extra clarification.

In a series of exchanges with the author I am certain I have his intent. I then tried to work with him to get the FAQ to reflect that intent.

This understanding is how I have been trying to encourage people to play.

So when we were going through the FAQ, I asked for and he added the "example". HI vs HI at 2 UD. Intervening LI which evades. The HI does not need to roll an adjusted. That seems very clear and unambiguous explanation to me. Is it not?
footslogger
Vétéran

MessagePosté le: Lun Jan 25, 2016 12:02 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hazelbark a écrit:
Let me expound.
1) There was no Skype.

In the beginning. I too believed the rule was about the "target". I heaped opprobrium on those who disagreed. But I was repeatedly asked to get extra clarification.

In a series of exchanges with the author I am certain I have his intent. I then tried to work with him to get the FAQ to reflect that intent.

This understanding is how I have been trying to encourage people to play.

So when we were going through the FAQ, I asked for and he added the "example". HI vs HI at 2 UD. Intervening LI which evades. The HI does not need to roll an adjusted. That seems very clear and unambiguous explanation to me. Is it not?

It is clear that if you want to charge the HI at 2UD you don't need to roll. It is not clear that you MUST charge the HI at 2UD.
footslogger
Vétéran

MessagePosté le: Lun Jan 25, 2016 12:04 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
ethan a écrit:
footslogger a écrit:
ethan a écrit:

I just want to interpret it, and find it ambiguous.
footslogger
Vétéran

MessagePosté le: Lun Jan 25, 2016 12:18 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
footslogger a écrit:
ethan a écrit:
footslogger a écrit:
ethan a écrit:

I just want to interpret it, and find it ambiguous.

Actually I don't think the FAQ is ambiguous, I think it doesn't answer the question I have. My question would be, "When a unit charges, must it target every unit on the path of the charge in charge range?"
ethan
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Lun Jan 25, 2016 1:03 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
This would be where the bit in the FAQ "If all targets in charge range (i.e distance of movement) evade, then you must adjust your movement distance by rolling a dice."

You don't get to specify that your charge move distance is less than the normal move distance.

Are you suggesting that when I charge someone 1 UD away with HI that my "charge range" is now 1 UD and that when I roll I will then go either 0UD, 1UD or 2UD?

They way you are posing the issue, this is really the key questionas your interpretation will pretty significantly interact with P. 40 which lays out your charge options.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Jan 25, 2016 4:19 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
footslogger a écrit:

It is clear that if you want to charge the HI at 2UD you don't need to roll. It is not clear that you MUST charge the HI at 2UD.

Whoa. I think I missed what we are debating.

Non-impetuous HI can stop after 1 UD.

so HI 2 ud from enemy HI with intervening enemy LI, declare charge on LI. LI evade. The HI can choose to stop at 1 UD.
footslogger
Vétéran

MessagePosté le: Lun Jan 25, 2016 9:32 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hazelbark a écrit:
footslogger a écrit:

Whoa. I think I missed what we are debating.

Non-impetuous HI can stop after 1 UD.

so HI 2 ud from enemy HI with intervening enemy LI, declare charge on LI. LI evade. The HI can choose to stop at 1 UD.

I'm sorry I haven't been able to make this clear, but yes, this is the point I've been attempting to make all along.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 2 sur 4 Aller à la page Précédente  1, 2, 3, 4  Suivante
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: