Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Losing impact when hit on flank
Page 1 sur 2 Aller à la page 1, 2  Suivante
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
Richard Young
Archer

MessagePosté le: Dim Avr 09, 2017 7:44 pm    Sujet du message: Losing impact when hit on flank Répondre en citant
I hadn't realised the correct implications of this rule when it came up at Roll Call today, playing against one of the French players:

My heavy knight impact elite is charged frontally by a heavy cavalry impact/bow elite. My opponent then moves a light infantry into flank contact with the knight. I always thought that the knight kept the impact versus the cavalry when receiving a charge on its front, but no. Apparently, any unit that contacts a flank denies that unit its impact! So, combat is:

Cavalry +1, impact +1, support +1. Total = 3
Knight +2 - impact doesn't count as also hit on flank on same turn . Total = 2.

Naturally he then rolls a 6 and I roll a 1 (I was on the wrong end of these 8 times today as per usual; and on the right side twice but only when shooting grrrr)

That's how they play it in France anyway. A useful rule to remember.

Cheers
Richard
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Viking709
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Dim Avr 09, 2017 8:25 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I did not think light infantry could contact battle troops (except artillery, scythed chariots and elephants) in the flank unless they were in terrain pg 52 contact restrictions
plefebvre
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Dim Avr 09, 2017 8:48 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
No problem with understanding the rules, for:
-Li can contact enemy in open terrain to provide support (page 52)
- When a unit is attacked on its flank or rear, even by light troops, impact,javelin,2hw and missile support abilities are cancelled (page57)

"sic transit gloria mundi"
Viking709
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Dim Avr 09, 2017 10:56 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Not to split hairs but in order to contact the flank of a battle troop with the front edge of a LI would be charge as opposed to corner to corner or side edge to side edge contact for support.
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Avr 10, 2017 3:36 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I think you may have been diddled - simply being French does not necessarily mean you have perfect understanding of all of the rules... Wink

The LI would have to be "in melee" against the flank or rear to cause these effects (p57) and I'm not entirely convinced that someone who cannot "charge" but who moves into support is "in melee".

It looks like a technical translation question for what El Kreator means in the difference between "charged", "contacted" and "melee".
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Lun Avr 10, 2017 6:19 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I don't think we need to trouble El Kreator about this.

Page 52 is clear that the only troops LI can charge in the open are LI, LH, Ele, ScyCh and the camp. It's so clear that I don't think there's any chance of mistranslation.

We all forget the odd rule in the heat of the game, but there's no excuse for a 1-6 Wink

Dave
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Avr 10, 2017 11:02 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
madaxeman a écrit:
I think you may have been diddled - simply being French does not necessarily mean you have perfect understanding of all of the rules... Wink

The LI would have to be "in melee" against the flank or rear to cause these effects (p57) and I'm not entirely convinced that someone who cannot "charge" but who moves into support is "in melee".

It looks like a technical translation question for what El Kreator means in the difference between "charged", "contacted" and "melee".

The difference is clearly explain in the rule. A LI can move to contact flank or rear in open to provide support and is not a charge. This means the Li'opponent must be in melee with another troop before the LI provide support.
Then, the support of LI cancels impact, 2HW, javelin, as said in rule P52 and confirmed ind FAQ.l
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Avr 10, 2017 12:37 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
lionelrus a écrit:
madaxeman a écrit:

The difference is clearly explain in the rule. A LI can move to contact flank or rear in open to provide support and is not a charge. This means the Li'opponent must be in melee with another troop before the LI provide support.
Then, the support of LI cancels impact, 2HW, javelin, as said in rule P52 and confirmed ind FAQ.l

The FAQ also says LI cannot charge (almost) anyone in the flank....
plefebvre
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Avr 10, 2017 2:51 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
madaxeman a écrit:
lionelrus a écrit:
madaxeman a écrit:

Yes, but you make a little confusion. To move into contact in order to provide support to another friendly unit is not a charge. You can do it by a normal move even towards the flank or rear of the enemy as long as this enemy is already engaged in melee with the friendly unit. And that is the reason why you are not allowed to achieve a move to support before the friendly unit to be supported is engaged in melee. Of course you still have to comply with obligations for flank ou rear contact (p 51) and conforming and ZoC (p 53).

lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Avr 10, 2017 2:56 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
madaxeman a écrit:
lionelrus a écrit:
madaxeman a écrit:

I don't say charge, i say move to contact.
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Lun Avr 10, 2017 3:45 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Lionel,

either you are wrong or the rules are wrong.

Citation:
Page 52

CONTACT RESTRICTIONS

Some units are not intended to engage in melee and can only contact the enemy under certain conditions.

Citation:
Page 59

MULTIPLE OPPONENTS

Para 2

When a unit already in melee with an enemy on its front edge, is engaged in melee by a new enemy (other than light troops)... ...It is not necessary for the new enemy to make a charge. It can engage the melee by a simple move or by conforming...

Citation:
Page 57

Penultimate Paragraph of Attacked on the flank or rear

The effects of being attacked on the flank or rear are effective as long as the unit has an enemy in melee against its flank or rear.

My emphases for clarity.

So tell me how does the Light Infantry get to cancel the impact of the Knights since it can't engage them in melee?

Dave
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Avr 10, 2017 4:30 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Well.
At first it must be understood the melee engagement is not complusorying a charge. Knowing this, a citation must be full :
P 52 "some unit are not attended....conditions" followed by " LI can only charge a unit etc.." 4th bullet.
So there is condtions to engage melee, and as you can read in the 4 first bullets the restriction only concern charging. As providing a support is not a charge, LI may engage in mellee without charging.
So, the consequences are, by exemple a opponent may contact the LI by a non charge move, as LI is considerd in mellee. If this ennemy is not light troop, the Li is immediatly destroyed because he can't evade.
plefebvre
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Avr 10, 2017 4:46 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
daveallen a écrit:
Lionel,

either you are wrong or the rules are wrong.

Citation:
Page 52

CONTACT RESTRICTIONS

Some units are not intended to engage in melee and can only contact the enemy under certain conditions.

Citation:
Page 59

MULTIPLE OPPONENTS

Para 2

When a unit already in melee with an enemy on its front edge, is engaged in melee by a new enemy (other than light troops)... ...It is not necessary for the new enemy to make a charge. It can engage the melee by a simple move or by conforming...

Citation:
Page 57

Penultimate Paragraph of Attacked on the flank or rear

The effects of being attacked on the flank or rear are effective as long as the unit has an enemy in melee against its flank or rear.

My emphases for clarity.

So tell me how does the Light Infantry get to cancel the impact of the Knights since it can't engage them in melee?

Dave

Because , even if LI are not intended to engage melee, they can do it under certain conditions , and one of these conditions is (p 52) :
" A unit (except WWg and Art) can always contact an enemy to provide support if this enemy is already engaged in melee when the unit makes contact. For instance, a LI can contact an enemy in open terrain to provide support"

Once this enemy is engaged on its flank or rear , even by LI, its impact ability is cancelled (p 57)

Although the question is very relevent, I am afraid there is no use discussing too much on this point. It was already clarified in the previous french FAQ (2 years ago)et has been included in the V3 of the rules .

I understand there is some difficulty to understand it because in reality you can find 2 situations where a unit is in melee: When it engages enemy in the main combat (from example front versus front) and when it provides support by attacking enemy's flank ou rear. Unfortunatly El Kreator didn't set clearly the distinction between the 2 situations in the wording of the rule.

daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Lun Avr 10, 2017 4:58 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Okay, I get it now Embarassed

Dave
plefebvre
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Avr 10, 2017 6:12 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
It was my pleasure Very Happy

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 1 sur 2 Aller à la page 1, 2  Suivante
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: