Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Ambushes From Behind Terrain
Page 1 sur 2 Aller à la page 1, 2  Suivante
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
A4
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Ven Juil 17, 2015 12:18 pm    Sujet du message: Ambushes From Behind Terrain Répondre en citant
This is hard to describe, but imagine there is a wood on the edge of the table within my opponent's ambush zone.

Can he ever:

1. Place an ambushing unit behind the wood rather than actually in the wood?

2. Place the ambush marker itself behind the wood rather than in the wood?

For what it is worth I think that he can because the left hand column of p 70 of the English translation says, "Ambush markers must be placed in terrain that allows troops to make an ambush or behind an obstacle that blocks line-of-sight of the enemy, such as a wood, a plantation, a village or a hill." But players who know the rules well think differently so I would like to check.

3. Assuming that it is possible to ambush from behind terrain as well as from within terrain how do you decide what is "behind" the terrain? Ie what is the shadow area behind the forest from which ambushes can be made?

Can ambushers / an ambush marker only be placed in:

A. A place hidden from any point on my half of the table?

or

B. A place hidden from any point in my ambush zone (which could extend up to half-way in the flank sectors if I was defending).

or

C. A position hidden from any point in my normal deployment zone (ie 7 UDs from the edge at the normal scale).

or

D. A position hidden from the actual troops I have put on the table.

With thanks,

Alan
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
hcaille
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Ven Juil 17, 2015 1:00 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
You can place the ambush marker behind an obstacle (as indicated page 70).

The ambush marker must not be in line of sight of any enemy unit. If an enemy unit move and have a line of sight on your ambushing units, then you must place it on the table.

Line of sight is just a strait line from one unit to the ambush marker that not pass through a terrain element which blocks line of sight.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Envoyer un e-mail Visiter le site web de l'utilisateur
A4
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Ven Juil 17, 2015 2:44 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
One further question. My opponent has put an ambush marker behind a wood on the left of the table. I deploy troops from a corps on the right edge of the table so that they can see marker. Must my opponent put the figures on the table immediately, or does he wait for deployment to finish?

With best wishes and thanks for producing a brilliant set of rules,

Alan
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Juil 18, 2015 9:20 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thank you for the reply, though the answer is not entirely clear because Ambush markers are placed before any units are on the table.

Please could someone define further what is meant by "behind" an object (relative to the enemy deployment zone),

Also could you confirm the following understanding of the process:
1) each person places their ambush markers
2) an ambush marker is revealed when an enemy unit is moved or placed in Line of Sight of the ambush marker

This would mean that ambush markers could be revealed during deployment, or conceivably by units placed when an enemy ambush marker is revealed.
hcaille
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Lun Juil 20, 2015 4:47 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
A4 a écrit:
One further question. My opponent has put an ambush marker behind a wood on the left of the table. I deploy troops from a corps on the right edge of the table so that they can see marker. Must my opponent put the figures on the table immediately, or does he wait for deployment to finish?

With best wishes and thanks for producing a brilliant set of rules,

Alan

The ambush is not valid in this case. If you can see an ambush marker from any point of your deployment zone it is not valid to place it there.[/quote]
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé Envoyer un e-mail Visiter le site web de l'utilisateur
hcaille
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Lun Juil 20, 2015 4:51 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ramses II a écrit:

Also could you confirm the following understanding of the process:
1) each person places their ambush markers
2) an ambush marker is revealed when an enemy unit is moved or placed in Line of Sight of the ambush marker

This would mean that ambush markers could be revealed during deployment, or conceivably by units placed when an enemy ambush marker is revealed.

See my previous answer.
You must verify if an ambush marker can be placed outside enemy line-of-sight at the moment you place it.
An ambush marker can be revealed during the movement of enemy unit if they move to a position where they can see the ambush.
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Juil 21, 2015 11:31 am    Sujet du message: Placement of Ambush markers Répondre en citant
Thanks for the replies above. Could you help clarify two related points:
  1. When placing Ambush markers outside LoS of the opponents "deployment zone", is this zone
    • 5U from the opponents baseline (normal troops)
    • 7U from the opponents baseline (light troops)
    • Mid-way (the maximum for defensive Ambush markers)

2. What are the restrictions (if any) on placing units related to a revealed Ambush marker that was behind an obstacle (as per the above definition) rather than actually in the relevant terrain?

3. Can Ambush markers be grouped together such that the hidden units related to each would have to be superimposed on each other to comply with the placement rules?

The rules as written suggest that this is indeed valid, providing each Ambush marker is revealed separately. However, if they are revealed together, the units that cannot be placed would be lost.
hcaille
Administrateur

MessagePosté le: Mar Juil 21, 2015 12:27 pm    Sujet du message: Re: Placement of Ambush markers Répondre en citant
Ramses II a écrit:

1. When placing Ambush markers outside LoS of the opponents "deployment zone", is this zone

LI/LH can be placed in ambush at 7UD from the baseline
Others troops must be at 5UD
The defender can place ambushes up to mid-way of the table only on the flank sector

Citation:

• What are the restrictions (if any) on placing units related to a revealed Ambush marker that was behind an obstacle (as per the above definition) rather than actually in the relevant terrain?

• Same restrictions as usual : all units must be placed outside line-of-sight of the ennemy before he discover the ambush.

Citation:

• Can Ambush markers be grouped together such that the hidden units related to each would have to be superimposed on each other to comply with the placement rules?

The rules as written suggest that this is indeed valid, providing each Ambush marker is revealed separately. However, if they are revealed together, the units that cannot be placed would be lost.

• No, it is not possible : no unit can be placed at the same place that another one.
    [/quote]
    Wagmestre
    Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Juil 22, 2015 12:15 pm    Sujet du message: Re: Placement of Ambush markers Répondre en citant
    hcaille a écrit:
    Ramses II a écrit:

[list=1][*]When placing Ambush markers outside LoS of the opponents "deployment zone", is this zone

LI/LH can be placed in ambush at 7UD from the baseline
    Others troops must be at 5UD
    The defender can place ambushes up to mid-way of the table only on the flank s

Hervé, je pense que la question porte sur la définition de la zone de déploiement de l'adversaire de l'embuscade: la ligne de vue pour invalider l'embuscade est vérifiée de la zone de déploiement des lourds uniquement (5UD), ou inclut-elle la zone des légers (7 et les bords de table), voire même 10 UD sur les bords si l'adversaire est défenseur.
    Wagmestre
    Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Juil 22, 2015 12:28 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
    De plus, faut-il comprendre de ta réponse que les troupes embusquées sont soumises aux règles de déploiement des 5 et 7 UD ?
    Ce n'est pas ce que nous avons joué jusqu'à présent.
    Wagmestre
    Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Juil 22, 2015 8:54 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
    Sorry, it's the english part of the forum.
    I just say I think Ramses told in #1 about the viewer's or opponent's zone of deployment, not of these of the player who is ambushing units.
    (and I appologize for assassinate Shakespeare's language...)

Furthermore, it seems to me type of troops doens't mine for embush location (lights up to 7 and others up to 5 from the baseline).
    Ramses II
    Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Juil 22, 2015 11:14 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
    Thank you Wagmestre, you have the correct sense of my first question, but I will try to rephrase them all for clarity

1. When placing an ambush marker behind an object I understand it must not be placed in LoS of the opponent's deployment Zone; I am seeking a definition of "the opponent's deployment zone", is it 5UD or 7UD (or something different)?

2. What restrictions exist (if any) when placing the units of a revealed ambush that is behind (in the shadow of) an object; is it sufficient to place them in the shadow of the object as defined above, or must they also be out of LoS of the enemy that has revealed the ambush?

Note Wagmestre, I assume that 'Heavy' units may be placed outside the 5UD zone if they are 'in the shadow' of an object that will conceal them from the opponent's Deployment zone.

3. What are the restrictions about grouping Ambush markers close together? Consider a triangular Ambush zone / shadow that could contain 6x units, with an ambush marker on each corner. If each marker is revealed separately, the other units for a given marker can be placed in the 3x empty spaces, and then moved out to make way for the units of the next Ambush marker.
      This is valid according to the rules, though definitely 'questionable'.

Perhaps you could stipulate when placing Ambush markers that there must be sufficient space to place all the associated units simultaneously.

Note, it is still apparently valid to move other units through these locations without penalty Confused
    Hazelbark
    Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Juil 23, 2015 4:49 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
    [quote="Ramses II"]

Citation:
    [list=1][*]When placing an ambush marker behind an object I understand it must not be placed in LoS of the opponent's deployment Zone; I am seeking a definition of "the opponent's deployment zone", is it 5UD or 7UD (or something different)?

Since its a theoretical opponent placement I would assume the 7 UD line.

Citation:

[*]What restrictions exist (if any) when placing the units of a revealed ambush that is behind (in the shadow of) an object; is it sufficient to place them in the shadow of the object as defined above, or must they also be out of LoS of the enemy that has revealed the ambush?

p70 1st bullet. Out of sight at game start. The other restriction is not within 1 UD of enemy at time of reveal.

Citation:
    [*]What are the restrictions about grouping Ambush markers close together? Consider a triangular Ambush zone / shadow that could contain 6x units, with an ambush marker on each corner. If each marker is revealed separately, the other units for a given marker can be placed in the 3x empty spaces, and then moved out to make way for the units of the next Ambush marker.
    This is valid according to the rules, though definitely 'questionable'.
    Perhaps you could stipulate when placing Ambush markers that there must be sufficient space to place all the associated units simultaneously.

You can clump ambush markers as close as you like. Each Marker can contain 4 units. If the space is such that an ambush must overlap a fake marker that is possible. However, if the reveal order of ambushes prevent all units from being placed on the table then the units are lost. I would expect an umpire to over rule a game play that says I can have 9 units in a 3 unit space by revealing a series of ambushes that overlaps. There is nothing in the rules or common sense that says a unit that is there but hidden does not have all the usual requirements of interpenetration and placement.
    footslogger
    Vétéran

MessagePosté le: Mar Oct 27, 2015 5:21 pm    Sujet du message: further: gullies Répondre en citant
    I'm guessing that a unit in a gully can not see out of the gully, and that other units cannot see it unless they are on the edge of the gully, but I can't find anything about that in the rules. How are gullies treated?
    Ramses II
    Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Oct 27, 2015 6:16 pm    Sujet du message: Re: further: gullies Répondre en citant
    footslogger a écrit:
    I'm guessing that a unit in a gully can not see out of the gully, and that other units cannot see it unless they are on the edge of the gully, but I can't find anything about that in the rules. How are gullies treated?
    Please check the answers in the FAQ, stickied at the top of the Rules Questions.
    On p10, you will find that units in gullies cannot be seen from enemy units outside unless these units are within 1UD of the edge.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
    Page 1 sur 2 Aller à la page 1, 2  Suivante
    Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: