Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Shooting protection and terrain cover
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 19, 2019 11:05 am    Sujet du message: Shooting protection and terrain cover Répondre en citant
I would like to clarify some shooting protection factors

a) If a bowman is inside cover, how does it effect the factors. As I read it, table page 48 and page 65 “cover from shooting†say that 2 modifiers apply. If the shot passes through less than 1ud he can shoot, but he is minus 1 for shooting from cover, and the target gets +1 extra protection since the shooting line of sight passes through the terrain. Both of these factors seem to me to beirrespective of whether the target is in the open or in cover themselves.

A1) Is this correct, 2 modifiers
A2) does the modifier change if the shooter is like lining the edge of linear terrain line a plantation, so that there is no terrain in the line of sight, if so how
A3) does the modifier change if the shooter is like lining the edge of irregular terrain line a wood, if so how

B) What is the modifier if the TARGET is lining the terrain edge, and so the line of sight does not actually need to pass through the terrain, and again is this different depending on terrain edge ie.
B1)a plantation or built up area straight edge
B2) an irregular terrain edge like a wood

C) What is the difference between “protection†and “basic protection†which are both mentioned under cross bows and longbows? Is “basic protection†your factor from the table on page 20, and “protection†your final result after applying all of the “protection modifiers†under pag 48 which includes cover and pavises. How does this impact longbow factors,where the “basic protection†is reduced by 1 but it is “protection†that cannot be less than zero?

E.g. if the target is bow in cover, with protection of 0 from page 20, is the factor

C1) final factor an overall “protection†of 0, which is ok, since it meets the “however their protection cannot be less than zeroâ€. Logic is 0 bowmen “basic protection†-1 for longbow, +1 for cover protection
C2) final factor an overall 1. Logic is 0 for bowmen, no minus for longbow, since that takes them below the zero minimum, +1 for cover protection

D) Can anyone have a protection factor higher than 3. Eg. for foot knights (3) in cover (+1) seems to give protection of 4, but page 47 says protection values (0 to +3). Pavises are limited to 3 in their section, but terrain cover has no such specific limit.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Zoltan
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Mer Fév 20, 2019 6:02 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Two opposing units of bowmen are in the open 4UD away from each other. But there is an intervening forest between them.

1. Can they shoot (through the forest) at each other?

2. If yes, what are the pluses/minuses each unit takes for shooting through cover?
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Mar Mar 12, 2019 10:30 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Hi guys

Any views on these questions. I see no responses so far. I admit D foot knights in terrain/ fortifications is very theoretical. However A and C are quite possible, and recent rulings on edge of terrain make me quite confused on A2, A3 and B

Dernière édition par Mike Bennett le Mar Mar 12, 2019 10:32 pm; édité 1 fois
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Mar Mar 12, 2019 10:36 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Ref Zoltan

I think they can shoot through as long as there is no more than 1ud of cover between them. Since terrain must be bigger than 2x3 uds this would really only be possible across corners, narrow ends etc, not across the body of the terrain
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Mar 13, 2019 12:11 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
They have been discussed and the TB are in the process of providing a response. 
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Mer Mar 13, 2019 6:17 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thanks, when is the eta for the next faq please?
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Mar 13, 2019 10:01 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Soon.
   Wink
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Mar 19, 2019 8:15 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
A1—Yes
A2—Yes. No passing through line of sight. The whole reason for being on the exact edge of terrain. (which is noted in melee section FYI)
A3—Maybe. I think this is terrain feature. If it clearly can’t be lined up then A1, if it can then A2.

Lesson don’t launch arrow volleys in the forest and expect much.

B—no pass through no modifier.
B1- see B
B2 see A3

C
I suspect there is a translation difference here, but I think the intent is clear. Basic protection is the starting rating after which modifiers are applied. Protection is the final adjusted number that is added to the die roll.

C1 Start at 0. +1 for Cover. -1 for Longbow. Net 0. *(I forget if there is a priority order on which modiferes get placed first like 2HW in melee. I could see longbow not be able to use the -1 versus woods. However currently that is less clear)
C2 see c1.

D I have never imagined this or even noted this. As Foot knights don’t have pavises, it would only apply in as you say foot knights in cover, etc. It is largely angels on the head of the pin, I say respectfully. On page 47 that reference appears to me to be for example not an explicit rule. Although I can see why you take it as such. As an umpire I would not rule that as binding. i.E. A foot knight in the woods or behind a fortification is a 4.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: