Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Mandatory Strategist General
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
Orlando Almeida
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Lun Nov 12, 2018 9:23 pm    Sujet du message: Mandatory Strategist General Répondre en citant
On the list 50 – Carthaginian.

If I want to have on my list upgraded African spearmen (Heavy Spearman Armour Elite) do I need to have a strategist general on my list?
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
belinconnux
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Nov 15, 2018 2:42 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
No. I've the choice.
Orlando Almeida
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Jeu Nov 15, 2018 11:14 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Are you sure?

List 55 says that from: 211-202BC we can have a Strategist if it is Hannibal

To have Heavy Spearman Armou elite I must use one of this 2 options:
Hannibal in Italy from 216BC to 203BC
Hannibal in Affrica in 202 BC

So for both of the cases if I use Hannibal it needs to be strategist because I'm between 211 and 202BC, right?

I also think the same specially because pag 78 says on the 1st paragraph that the different valid option are corresponds to time periods and/or geographic areas, not mandatory generals. So I can use that period, but decide that Hannibal won't be part of the army.

Really like to be sure on this, sorry to insist...
Orlando Almeida
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Jeu Nov 15, 2018 11:15 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Orlando Almeida a écrit:
Thanks for the feedback, but are you sure?

List 55 says that from: 211-202BC we can have a Strategist if it is Hannibal

To have Heavy Spearman Armou elite I must use one of this 2 options:
Hannibal in Italy from 216BC to 203BC
Hannibal in Affrica in 202 BC

So for both of the cases if I use Hannibal it needs to be strategist because I'm between 211 and 202BC, right?

I also think the same specially because pag 78 says on the 1st paragraph that the different valid option correspond to time periods and/or geographic areas, not mandatory generals. So I can use that period, but decide that Hannibal won't be part of the army.

Really like to be sure on this, sorry to insist...
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Ven Nov 16, 2018 12:14 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
As a list checker I'd be inclined to say you do need to take the named general in order to use options which are specific to that named general. It just feels the 'right' thing to do, underlining the historical side of the game as well.

But that's just me - there may well be a precedent that the French community have discussed and decided on before its cropped up in English.
ethan
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Ven Nov 16, 2018 12:02 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
madaxeman a écrit:
As a list checker I'd be inclined to say you do need to take the named general in order to use options which are specific to that named general. It just feels the 'right' thing to do, underlining the historical side of the game as well.

But that's just me - there may well be a precedent that the French community have discussed and decided on before its cropped up in English.

Were I list checking (absent a clear ruling) I would likely rule that very specific things, like Hannibal in Italy, would require you to take Hannibal the Strategist in Italy.
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Ven Nov 16, 2018 5:52 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Just as devils advocate - List 83 Spartacus has a note stating the army must be commanded by Spartacus (a strategist). That could imply other armies don't have to be commanded by a name general unless specifically stated. For example a Carthaginian army in Italy could be commanded by one of Hannibals subordinates. In fact what about representing Hasdrubals army in Italy?
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Nov 17, 2018 3:45 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
AlanCutner a écrit:
Just as devils advocate - List 83 Spartacus has a note stating the army must be commanded by Spartacus (a strategist). That could imply other armies don't have to be commanded by a name general unless specifically stated. For example a Carthaginian army in Italy could be commanded by one of Hannibals subordinates. In fact what about representing Hasdrubals army in Italy?

It needs a French person to tell us what’s the accepted interpretation.  Both versions are equally arguable in English 
fdunadan
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Sam Nov 17, 2018 7:11 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
As a French person, may I help?

the only Strategist you must pick in an army is Spartacus.
The others can, but it's not mandatory, be choosen, when you take their specials units. Hannibal, or Pyrrhus are not neccerilary present, even if you choose the troops listed in "Hannibal in North Africa" or "Pyrrhus in Italy". Maybe they're taking a nap, or fighting in another place.
belinconnux
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Nov 17, 2018 2:25 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
So, two Frech persons are better than one Wink
Orlando Almeida
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Sam Nov 17, 2018 3:44 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Thank you all for your answers,

I think it’s clear that both ways can be interpreted so, does this seal saying that Hannibal is not mandatory or it's better to ask on the French rule thread (looking for what Hervé has in mind)?
plefebvre
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Nov 17, 2018 6:22 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Unless where it is clearly specified by the list (like 83 Spartacus), to choose a strategist general is always optional and never compulsory.

Technical Board / rule committee

"sic transit gloria mundi"
Orlando Almeida
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Dim Nov 18, 2018 12:08 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Merci!!!!!

Case closed Wink
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Mar 19, 2019 8:53 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
plefebvre a écrit:
Unless where it is clearly specified by the list (like 83 Spartacus), to choose a strategist general is always optional and never compulsory.

Technical Board / rule committee

c'est bon. Add to FAQ please

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: