Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Dismounting
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
vexillia
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Jeu Nov 08, 2018 12:15 pm    Sujet du message: Dismounting Répondre en citant
Please can someone resolve this for me:

Citation:
Medium & Heavy Knights
P19 & 72 ".. can always dismount if their army list allows ..."

Is this meant to be "only" and presumably without exception?

Citation:
Other mounted
P 19 "Otherwise mounted can dismount only if ..."
P 72 "Other mounted troops can be dismounted only if ..."

As P19 can be read to include knights, whilst P72 specifically excludes them, which is correct?

Thank you.
Longtooth
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Jeu Nov 08, 2018 1:30 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
They are both correct Smile

I do not have my army lists with me at the moment, but if you look at the 100 year war English, you will see that your knights can be deployed on horse or on foot. If you choose to 'purchase' the mounted option, you are allowed to dismount them at the start of any game.

If you look at the Feudal English list, you are only allowed to take your knights on horseback. In this instance, you can only dismount your knights if your opponent deploys elephants, fortifications, or war wagons.

Does this help?

Jesse
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
plefebvre
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Nov 08, 2018 2:13 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Longtooth a écrit:
They are both correct Smile

I do not have my army lists with me at the moment, but if you look at the 100 year war English, you will see that your knights can be deployed on horse or on foot. If you choose to 'purchase' the mounted option, you are allowed to dismount them at the start of any game.

If you look at the Feudal English list, you are only allowed to take your knights on horseback. In this instance, you can only dismount your knights if your opponent deploys elephants, fortifications, or war wagons.

Does this help?

Jesse

Correct

"sic transit gloria mundi"
vexillia
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Jeu Nov 08, 2018 2:28 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Longtooth a écrit:
They are both correct

Can't be as P19 & P72 say different things.

Longtooth a écrit:

Not according to P72! Check when you have access to a rule book.

Longtooth a écrit:
Does this help?

Not really. Sad
vexillia
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Jeu Nov 08, 2018 2:47 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
There are three types of troops that need to be covered:
    Knights allowed by their list to dismount
    Knights not allowed by their list to dismount
    Other mounted ie not Knights

This may help show what I am getting at:

Page 72 can be read as Knights only (always, any circumstances) if the list allows and others if facing certain troops types. So the question becomes can you dismount Kn (no dismount option in the lists) when facing certain troop types. P19 says yes. P72 reads to me as "no".

I think the intention is clear but the wording is confusing.
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Nov 08, 2018 4:16 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
vexillia a écrit:
Longtooth a écrit:
They are both correct

Can't be as P19 & P72 say different things.

[(

No
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Nov 08, 2018 4:58 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Anyone can dismount against certain types of bad stuff

Knights specified in their lists as an either/or mounted/dismounted option can dismount anytime, even if there is no bad stuff up aganst them
vexillia
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Jeu Nov 08, 2018 5:28 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Now remind me why it's in twice and with different meanings in the English translation.
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Nov 08, 2018 7:22 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
vexillia a écrit:
Now remind me why it's in twice and with different meanings in the English translation.

1. Because a load of people translated as a favour to a friend, most of whom had never played the rules at the time.

2. Because the use of the word "other" in the 2nd bullet point on p72 can and should be read as meaning "mounted troops other than those allowed to dismount anyway under the preceding bullet point".
vexillia
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Jeu Nov 08, 2018 8:41 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
madaxeman a écrit:
vexillia a écrit:

2. Because the use of the word "other" in the 2nd bullet point on p72 can and should be read as meaning "mounted troops other than those allowed to dismount anyway under the preceding bullet point".

That answers the second part. Smile Is it in twice in the French version?
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Nov 08, 2018 9:14 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
vexillia a écrit:
madaxeman a écrit:
vexillia a écrit:

That answers the second part. Smile Is it in twice in the French version?

I think you may need to ask a Frenchman about that - but my guess is yes, as its a pretty page-for-page translation in general
plefebvre
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Nov 08, 2018 9:58 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Yes it is the same in the french version. And there is no contradiction or understanding problem.

Because
-page 19 is in "Troops" chapter and it answers the question "what kind of troops is allowed to dismount and under which conditions?"

- page 72 is included in the "Setting up" chapter . Its purpose is not to provide more détails on "who can dismount ? " but to explain "how" you must operate to dismount after the deployment phase or when units are in ambush or in flank march.

"sic transit gloria mundi"

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: