Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Additional rules on hills, available in French
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Dim Oct 07, 2018 9:30 pm    Sujet du message: Additional rules on hills, available in French Répondre en citant
There are a set of additional pages in french definning hills. They create new rules on mandatory crest positions for various shapes of hill (e.g. from memory there is a type of hill that only has a single crest line, a geographic impossibility I believe) and also clarify how ambushes work with those shapes of hill

I do not believe that these pages are available officially translated into English. Are they valid for UK tournaments?
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Dim Oct 07, 2018 10:13 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I kinda hope not.  I’ve never had an issue with defining how hills work by talking with my opponent, so having official definitions involving geometry seems a bit like overkill to me 
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Dim Oct 07, 2018 10:30 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Check the appendices in the latest FAQ about visibility rules for ambushes. The intention is to clarify where ambushes may be placed behind hills and when they are visible. To achieve this, a number of hill types are presented which are the ones that should be used. 

But other ‘unspecified’ hills are permitted . . . 
Dickstick
Légat

MessagePosté le: Lun Oct 08, 2018 11:07 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
They are in the English translation.
I'm glad they have arrived.

Escarpment and ridge lines have only one military crestline.
It's always amazed me how ignorant wargamer can be on hills. People need to get out more and walk hilly ground.

Without a hill system defined using the real world reality makes it too difficult to explain to some people.

We now have 6 variations to pick on for the hills we place. Each player can place their preference without prejudice.
Mike Bennett
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Lun Oct 08, 2018 11:32 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I wonder what is a military crest line as opposed to say a geographic one?

The ridge in this sheet let's you end up higher without ever going uphill!!!! Eg move along tbe ridge line from ground level to uphill level. This seemd strange geographically
Zoltan
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Mar Oct 09, 2018 3:41 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Wow, that's quite some topography lesson in Appendix 4 of the FAQ! I've seldom seen wargames fighting on hills as the advantage of the player on the hill is usually sufficient to deter an opponent.

Whether A is "up hill" from B will not depend solely on whether one is on a ridge line and one is not. However, a rule of thumb would appear to be that the unit nearer a ridge line will be uphill of the unit further away from the same ridge line.
ethan
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mar Oct 09, 2018 11:26 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I support the more precise hill definition. I have seen an awful lot of involved arguments about hills in wargaming and what is there exact shape and is that shape actually possible. I have also seen a lot of really ridiculous cheese around hills which doesn't really belong in the game either.
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Oct 09, 2018 1:19 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Zoltan a écrit:
Wow, that's quite some topography lesson in Appendix 4 of the FAQ! I've seldom seen wargames fighting on hills as the advantage of the player on the hill is usually sufficient to deter an opponent.

Whether A is "up hill" from B will not depend solely on whether one is on a ridge line and one is not. However, a rule of thumb would appear to be that the unit nearer a ridge line will be uphill of the unit further away from the same ridge line.
I agree with Ethan in welcoming better definitions over hills and how they ‘work’. My only comment is that to be ‘uphill’  you need to be clear which ridge line is in operation.

I also agree with your views. My understanding is the same, that the ridge lines effectively define the halfway point of a hill relative to the direction that the units are moving. Where the unit’s front edge is beyond the ridge line (ie it is more than halfway over the hill) then it is ‘uphill’. But if the opposing units are fighting at the ridge line, or in the case of the scarp ridge (type D or E) along it, then neither unit can claim to be ‘uphill’. 

The edge case is where units fight across a ridge line at an angle. Here I suggest the unit that covers the greatest amount of ridge line is ‘uphill’. 
Dickstick
Légat

MessagePosté le: Mar Oct 09, 2018 10:06 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
As the one claiming uphill needs the contact edge to be all on the hill I cannot see how it cannot have climbed up the hill in the first place.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: