Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
"In cover" whilst standing in the open
Page 1 sur 2 Aller à la page 1, 2  Suivante
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Ven Aoû 17, 2018 7:44 pm    Sujet du message: "In cover" whilst standing in the open Répondre en citant
To quote the rule:

Citation:
Page 63 COVER FROM SHOOTING 1st para.

Some terrain can also provide cover, for example trees will stop or deflect missiles. A unit benefits from cover if the line of sight of the shooter passes through the terrain (see the terrain table on page 65).

So,

1) when a unit in a plantation shoots at an enemy outside in the open, the enemy gains a +1 for being "in cover."

and

2) if the shooter is also in open terrain but its line of sight to the target passes through a corner of the plantation then the target is likewise "in cover."

Am I correct on both counts?
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Aoû 18, 2018 4:12 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Also keep reading 2nd paragraph,

1) Yes, assuming the shooter is set back in the plantation. If the shooter is "on the edge" then no.

2) Yes

So don't shoot from cover at someone in cover. Apparently having a giant bloody think in front of you and not being able to see very well is an impediment.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Sam Aoû 18, 2018 4:59 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Not sure about this standing on the edge idea. There doesn't seem to be any provision for it in the rules - you're either in cover or out of it.

Dave
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Aoû 18, 2018 6:08 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
daveallen a écrit:
Not sure about this standing on the edge idea. There doesn't seem to be any provision for it in the rules - you're either in cover or out of it.

p 57 terrain modifiers in melee contemplates "on the edge" so obviously people have said, I am moving to the edge, and therefore not firing "through" the terrain. And then this clarification came in.

I am sort of with you I'd prefer that you are in or out. But you can be on the line. So.....
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Sam Aoû 18, 2018 6:54 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Yes, but...

Citation:
Page 57 Terrain modifiers first para. final sentence:

If a melee occurs just on the edge of a terrain, both units are considered to be in the terrain.

By extension, if you can claim to be in cover when shot at whilst inside covering terrain (even on the edge) then anything you shoot at must also benefit from that cover.

I think part of my difficulty with this results from the old WRG way of treating terrain Embarassed
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Sam Aoû 18, 2018 8:21 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
daveallen a écrit:

I think part of my difficulty with this results from the old WRG way of treating terrain Embarassed

wrg = The cthuhlu of rule writing.
Dickstick
Légat

MessagePosté le: Sam Aoû 18, 2018 11:32 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
P48
Target only gets cover if Los goes through cover.
P63
Cover from shooting 2nd para
If part of the shooting edge is in cover then shooter is penalised

There are p48 two penalty points one for target in cover and one for shooter in cover.

A unit "on the edge " gets both. Just like one up to one UD in.

If you want to shoot cover free one has to expose one self to shooting and charges.

One needs to be behind fortifications to have cover with unrestricted shooting.

Nature is not helpful.
kevinj
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Dim Aoû 19, 2018 10:10 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Citation:
A unit "on the edge " gets both. Just like one up to one UD in.

I'm not convinced by this but I'm happy to be proved wrong if anyone can offer a better interpretation.

As I see it, if your front edge is aligned with the edge of the terrain, drawing the line of sight from the front corners does not pass through the terrain and the target does not get the benefit of cover. You will, however, take the - for shooting from cover and gain the benefit of it if they shoot back. The downside of this would be that anyone charging you does not have to enter the terrain, and would not suffer any penalties from fighting you in it.
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Dim Aoû 19, 2018 12:26 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Except that "on the edge" in these rules means the front edge of the unit is in the terrain. See above for reference to the rule on page 57.

In effect it's an either/or situation - either your front edge is in the terrain and you suffer the shooting advantages/disadvantages or it isn't and you don't.

Which makes a lot of sense actually.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Aoû 20, 2018 5:32 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
It could be argued either way. One for the FAQ I guess.
Dickstick
Légat

MessagePosté le: Lun Aoû 20, 2018 5:40 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Don't think the french wanted a not in not out position for terrain.
Look how it's written for fortifications.
kevinj
Signifer

MessagePosté le: Mar Aoû 21, 2018 9:38 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
This is where it would be helpful if someone could let us know the intent. It could be argued that if a unit is standing on the edge of a terrain feature the LOS to a target in the open starts outside and does not pass through the cover. So although the unit takes the -1 for shooting from cover if appropriate, it does not suffer an additional -1 due to the target counting in cover as well. It just strikes me as anomalous that, if both count, the unit shooting from cover is more penalised than the one standing in the open.
A4
Auxiliaire

MessagePosté le: Mar Aoû 21, 2018 5:16 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I've a horrible feeling that Dave might be right, going strictly by the wording.

I am pretty sure that that is not the intent, though. I have played against people who have played Herve and I cannot remember anyone claiming benefit of cover for troops in the open. Of course, I might have forgotten or not noticed.

I guess that the minus 1 applied to troops (other than light infantry) firing from a plantation allows for trees getting in the way of the shooters; and that a second minus 1 is only applied if the target is itself in some sort of cover.

Maybe this is a case where the text needs to be adjusted to the way the game is played, rather than the other way around?

Alan
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Aoû 22, 2018 1:56 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
P63 is clearly worded that if part of the (front) edge of the unit is in cover, then the penalty applies.

As Dave says, to shoot without penalty the entire front edge must be outside the terrain, at which point the unit may be attacked 'in the open', but the penalties for moving and fighting in terrain would still apply until the entire unit is clear of the terrain.

I am not sure a FAQ is needed given the clarity of the wording.
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mer Aoû 22, 2018 1:57 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
P63 is clearly worded that if part of the (front) edge of the unit is in cover, then the penalty applies.

As Dave says, to shoot without penalty the entire front edge must be outside the terrain, at which point the unit may be attacked 'in the open', but the penalties for moving and fighting in terrain would still apply until the entire unit is clear of the terrain.

I am not sure a FAQ is needed given the clarity of the wording.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 1 sur 2 Aller à la page 1, 2  Suivante
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: