Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Terrain shape
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
Luddite
Archer

MessagePosté le: Lun Fév 26, 2018 11:02 am    Sujet du message: Terrain shape Répondre en citant
Fields, Villages and Plantations must be rectangular in shape.

How much leeway does that have?

Is it possible, for example, to have an "L-shaped" field?

Rectangle: "a plane figure with four straight sides and four right angles, especially one with unequal adjacent sides, in contrast to a square."

Question
AlanCutner
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Lun Fév 26, 2018 3:53 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I'd say an L-shape is by definition not a rectangle. However in my experience most players don't object to a 'rough' rectangle, eg curvd corners
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Fév 26, 2018 4:57 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I agree with Alan.

I would go so far as to say that anything that appears engineered for game play (like an "L" shape) would not be permitted for these types. However minor rounded corners would be fine.
madaxeman
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Lun Fév 26, 2018 5:40 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I've got some L-shaped paddy fields (from TSS) that just happen to be L-shaped - they certainly aren't engineered for any sort of in-game benefit, and I think are are significantly smaller than the maximum allowable size as a result.

My take is that field, village and plantation pieces need to be;

a/ nice
b/ have straight edges as that helps with game play
c/ not designed to achieve some sort of cheesey outcome
brothercrow
Barbare

MessagePosté le: Lun Fév 26, 2018 6:59 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
My concern would be that a carefully cut piece of L shaped terrain can be used to protect a camp on two sides.

Graeme,
Durham Wargames.
daveallen
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 27, 2018 8:01 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
At CLWC we sometimes see the infamous crescent hill deployed - a semicircular piece with the crest running about an inch from the rounded edge. Supposedly useful for hiding elephants in ambush.

At least we haven't descended to DBM levels of cheesiness where the Reigate club's skinny hills could be bought ready made.

Dave
Zoltan
Centurion

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 27, 2018 8:51 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
madaxeman a écrit:
I've got some L-shaped paddy fields (from TSS) that just happen to be L-shaped - they certainly aren't engineered for any sort of in-game benefit, and I think are are significantly smaller than the maximum allowable size as a result.

My take is that field, village and plantation pieces need to be;

a/ nice
b/ have straight edges as that helps with game play
c/ not designed to achieve some sort of cheesey outcome

Regretably, much of the terrain often fails your criteria a) Tim. Let's not start on spaghetti spears....
Crying or Very sad
Luddite
Archer

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 27, 2018 11:46 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Generally i agree with a more flexible "reasonable" approach, but its clearly stated they must be a rectangle (which is itself disconcertingly vague), so i think if the opponent challenges it, you should remove such terrain.

Personally i'd only challenge a deployed terrain piece if it were clearly designed and placed to give an unfair advantage. An L-shape placed to hide baggage, or wierd shaped hills for elephant ambushes would certainly qualify in my "nope" category.

I presume therefore that a village on a gentle hill is a rectangle within a circle? Does that mean the terrain for the hill is different outside of and within the village? Does the village combine the uphill advantage with its rough going, or do we assume the village is flat on top of the hill?

Err...

Question
lionelrus
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 27, 2018 3:29 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
daveallen a écrit:
At CLWC we sometimes see the infamous crescent hill deployed - a semicircular piece with the crest running about an inch from the rounded edge. Supposedly useful for hiding elephants in ambush.

At least we haven't descended to DBM levels of cheesiness where the Reigate club's skinny hills could be bought ready made.

Dave

This is not allowed in french tounaments, in memory of dbm cheesy.
As well, elements of terrains cutted to include a clear terrain juste as large as a luggage.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 27, 2018 4:07 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Luddite a écrit:

I presume therefore that a village on a gentle hill is a rectangle within a circle? Does that mean the terrain for the hill is different outside of and within the village? Does the village combine the uphill advantage with its rough going, or do we assume the village is flat on top of the hill?

I don't think it says the hill needs to be a circle but irregular shape. The village on it must be rectangular. Yes the part of the hill the village does not occupy is what is designated as per hills normally. The hill's high point is as designated you could model it as plateau if you chose. Yes the Village is difficult.

So if LI is uphill in a village and you are attacking it with LC you are hoping for a good roll.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: