Art De La Guerre
Bienvenue sur le forum de discussion de la règle de jeu l'Art De La Guerre

FAQFAQ RechercherRechercher Liste des MembresListe des Membres Groupes d'utilisateursGroupes d'utilisateurs S'enregistrerS'enregistrer
ProfilProfil Se connecter pour vérifier ses messages privésSe connecter pour vérifier ses messages privés ConnexionConnexion
Movement along rivers
Page 1 sur 1
 Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Auteur Message
Three
Vétéran

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 06, 2018 1:56 pm    Sujet du message: Movement along rivers Répondre en citant
Is it allowed? Assuming the river is either rough or difficult, can you move along it at the appropriate rate?

I get the bit about crossing it at 90°, but I can't see anything that expressly prohibits moving along it.
Voir le profil de l'utilisateur Envoyer un message privé
Ramses II
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 06, 2018 2:54 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I would say “noâ€.

Actually walking along a river, through water and on an unseen uneven surface, with hidden plunge pools and weeds, would be very difficult. 
Trying to do so while keeping in formation would be almost impossible. 

That is why troops try to get out of the river as soon as possible, and why the French did not think to include this prohibition. 
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Mar Fév 06, 2018 7:18 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
It explicitly says you can only cross and if you cross its at a 90 degree angle.

There is no flowing with the river.
Three
Vétéran

MessagePosté le: Mer Fév 07, 2018 8:33 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Whilst I agree that that is the sensible way to read the "crossing a river at 90 degrees" section, my opponent, who unfortunately wasn't French, made the point that as long as you turn and exit at 90, thereby complying with that part, and move at the appropriate rate for the troop type (in this case Medium Swordsmen) there is nothing specific at all that says you can't.

I can't find the section that says you can "only cross" a river?

On pg64 where Terrain Description is discussed, it says to cross you must be at 90 degrees. Now as I said above, I agree that that should mean that a river can "only be crossed", but it doesn't actually say that. If the word "only" were inserted into the first bullet point, 3rd paragraph then that solves it, something like -

" A unit can only cross a river, and that must be at an angle of 90 degrees"

I know you can reduce this argument (it doesn't say you can't) to ridiculous levels, but in this case, again as I said above, it is difficult to argue with during a game.

Thoughts?
Pebbo
Barbare

MessagePosté le: Mer Fév 07, 2018 10:46 am    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
I don't have the rules in front of me but I think crossing means moving from one bank to the other. So moving along a river and then exiting at 90 degrees by turning or wheeling would not in my opinion come within the rule. Also if the rule allows for just one way to cross a river I think its pretty clear that other ways are by implication not allowed.
fdunadan
Tribun

MessagePosté le: Mer Fév 07, 2018 10:04 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
the first item of p64 is very very clear: only perpendicular mouvement is allowed in a river. Your opponent was obviously trying to cheat.
Three
Vétéran

MessagePosté le: Mer Fév 07, 2018 11:14 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
He was certainly chancing his arm, but I think that there is a certain mindset, perhaps a hangover from other rulesets, that expect everything to be explicitly forbidden and by default, if it isn't then It's allowed Rolling Eyes

The first section on pg 64, which I missed during the game and since, does look to point firmly to the act of crossing being the only action allowed.

Thanks for the replies.
Hazelbark
Magister Militum

MessagePosté le: Jeu Fév 08, 2018 9:50 pm    Sujet du message: Répondre en citant
Three a écrit:
there is a certain mindset, perhaps a hangover from other rulesets,

One of the pleasures of ADLG is to shed the dogmas of the past and not create headaches or hangovers. I actually look back now and am shocked that my younger self played, enjoyed and litigated that dog's breakfast of writing of another rule set.

Art De La Guerre Index du Forum > Rules questions V3
Page 1 sur 1
Poster un nouveau sujet   Répondre au sujet Toutes les heures sont au format GMT

Sauter vers: